Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Can you advise me on a good book?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Hi! I'm always in the market for a new series my favorite for the moment is aliens! I'm looking for a series or book where the female is kidnaped and she either gets a pet or a side kick who helps keep her safe along with her mate. I read one where the female lead rescued a talking spider and she became best friends with it I'm looking for more like that one thanks!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 32 comments Your talking spider one was probably in Gail Koger's Coletti Warlords series, lots of fun! There are 9 of them now [and alien sidekicks are a common theme]:
CW01 The Warlord's Comeuppance
CW02 Just My Luck
CW03 Vexing Voss
CW04 Reality Bites
CW05 Just Desserts
CW06 Wulf and the Bounty Hunter
CW07 Game On Askole
CW08 Crossing Quinn
CW09 Hothar's Folly

Monette Michaels' 4th Prime book: Prime Target has a great alien sidekick. The other books in the series are also excellent SFR reads but no alien sidekicks.
PC01 Prime Obsession
PC02 Prime Selection
PC03 Prime Imperative
PC03.5 Prime Claiming
PC04 Prime Target

You might also consider Jayne Castle's [one of Jayne Anne Krentz's various pseudonyms] Ghost Hunter aka Harmony books, they have dust bunnies to pal around with. Depending on how you count the series but there are a lot of them. The dust bunnies were introduced in After Dark.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments I absolutely loved the coletti warlord series! I loved when you met the king spider and he tied her up!! It's one of my favorite series.

message 4: by KJ (new)

KJ Van Houten | 237 comments Mod
Jayne Castle’s Harmony series (aka Ghost Hubters) iso e of my all time favourites! (All of Krentz’s works as Castle, Krentz, and Amanda Quick are among my most reread and relistened to books, and I autobuy all of her works.) I hesitated mentioning her series because it’s so much tamer than others mentioned but I sure love them.

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Dec 01, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 32 comments KJ wrote: "Jayne Castle’s Harmony series (aka Ghost Hubters) iso e of my all time favourites! (All of Krentz’s works as Castle, Krentz, and Amanda Quick are among my most reread and relistened to books, and I..."

Yes, the Castle books are relatively 'vanilla' compared to some others. You know that everyone involved is having a good time but there is not a lot of 'insert tab a into slot b' detail. They are, however, excellent stories with great characters and lots of action. If I'm in the mood for something where clothing is optional by the second chapter I just read something else. But these stay on my reread shelf... and I'm always thrilled when there's a new Krentz/Castle/Quick in the offing!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments I will most definitely look into the Jayne castles book vanilla is ok as long as their not virgin books and I don't mean the heroine is a virgin lmao.

But the one series I cannot get into is cyborg novels I tried that and I know you can't judge a genre based on one book but I couldn't even finish it and I was 75% through it. It was labeled under romantic sci fi and the only romance was close to the end then it got into cannibalism and well I was done.

message 7: by KJ (new)

That doesn’t sound like any cyborg series I know!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments If I come across it again I'll let you know which one it is but I hardly ever stop reading a book without finishing it but this one book........ ugh I just couldn't!

message 9: by KJ (new)

Definitely don’t give up on cyborg series because of that! Some good ones out there by Cara Bristol, Cynthia Sax, Eve Langlais, and more I could recommend.

Oh, just remembered another fun series to suggest: Galactic Gladiators by Anna Hackett. She is another of my “autobuy anything she writes” authors, along with. Veronica Scott and Susan Grant. The GG series does include a group of humans that are kidnapped by aliens. Oh, so does the Star Guardians series by Ruby Lionsdrake (another favourite author aka Lindsay Buroker who writes the Fallen Empire series which I love.)

Yes I know I’m going down a rabbit hole now...

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Take me with you! I am going to look those books up then I will be lost thank goodness for family or you'd hear about the police finding someone mummified while holding an ereader!

message 11: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Aug 22, 2019 03:38AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 36 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi! I'm always in the market for a new series my favorite for the moment is aliens! I'm looking for a series or book where the female is kidnaped and she either gets a pet or a side kick who helps ..."

I'd like to suggest the following science fiction romance series with great animal sidekick characters:

Series #1

Finding Jess (First Wave, #2) by Mikayla Lane Finding Jess by Mikayla Lane (fyi, this is the 2nd book, there aren't many animals yet in the 1st book)

This is one of my favorite books. The heroine hasn't been recently abducted, but rather she has been held captive for a long time and has been horribly abused. It starts out really rough with a near-death scene, just to warn you, but she's okay. She gets rescued by the hero and his crew. She's an incredibly strong woman, but she does need some extra help that she gets from an awesome animal sidekick named Gibly. He's a special kind of telepathic cat and he's a riot! The Siboux cats are in many of the books in this series, especially the 3rd or 4th one called "Jax" I think.

Viper (Second Wave, #1) by Mikayla Lane Viper Later on in the 2nd arc of the same series, there is another great animal character named Do'gee with a great personality and the sole aim of protecting and helping this newest heroine. "Viper" is my 2nd favorite book from this SFR series.

Series #2:

Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1) by S.E. Smith Abducting Abby by S.E. Smith

Next, have you looked at any of the alien dragon-shifter books by S.E. Smith? This whole series has these great sentient metal characters that are hard to describe but are basically the alien version of an animal familiar. It's a symbiont that bonds with the alien and his human mate once he meets her. It's strictly an emotional or psychic bond and is nothing like the hero's mate bond.

message 12: by Amy*skye.rhyme (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 36 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi! I'm always in the market for a new series my favorite for the moment is aliens! I'm looking for a series or book where the female is kidnaped and she either gets a pet or a side kick who helps ..."

Edge of Eon (Eon Warriors, #1) by Anna Hackett Edge of Eon by Anna Hackett

I just finished reading a great sci fi romance that made me think of your plot request again. I totally LOVED this book! There's a great animal sidekick that the heroine names
"Shaggy". The plot isn't her being kidnapped and saved by the hero, it's more like she and the hero both kickass and take turns saving each other from some pretty hinky situations. She's feisty and funny and the hero fell hard and fast. Also, I love sci fi with alien symbionts that bond with, or somehow enhance the characters abilities, and this book has that too! It's a total win for me.

message 13: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (aifos) | 14 comments i need a good scifi erotica book, any suggestions?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Try Laura jo Phillips soul linked saga.
Just my luck by Gail Kroger
And if you want a funny read try
My commander by alanea Adler.
And a long series but fun was the ice planet barbarians by ruby Dixon
Enjoy

message 15: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (aifos) | 14 comments Thank you Sarah!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Your welcome my commander is more a pnr but if you want to read a series that will make you laugh out loud then I would suggest that one. Ruby Dixon’s barbarian series is more alien human women get stranded on planet and big blue sexy aliens with tails and horns rescue them I absolutely love this series as well they are my go to when I don’t know what to read but there’s another sexy series that I’m not sure if it qualifies as sci-fi it’s Lora Leigh’s breeds series and Lauren dohners new species series now they! Are full of sexy men

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott | 519 comments Mod
Kallista Dane, Evangeline Anderson and Grace Goodwin among others all write pretty steamy scifi romance.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Try Zanina masters crossroad series it’s a pnr shifter series their short books between 78-100 pages each but they are a fun read

message 19: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Louis | 22 comments I have a bookshelf specifically for that category. Look for sci-fi by Loki Renard, Renee Rose, Stephanie West, Loribelle Hunt, Celeste Prater, and Ravenna Tate, among many others that I'm sure I've omitted.

Check out my bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments I’m actually reading one by Susan trombley called into the dead fall it’s good so far if you like feline and lizard aliens in an appolyptic type world fighting over a human female

message 21: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments Sofi wrote: "i need a good scifi erotica book, any suggestions?"

I loved Nameless Fate and Hard as Rock by Stephanie West. A little rougher but scorching hot is Mate by Trent Evans.

message 22: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:07AM) (new)

I just read a book that matches this theme perfectly. The human heroine was kidnapped and she aquired a couple animal sidekicks before she met and was rescued by her alien mate.

Mating Sight (Praesidio Corp, #2) by Ava Ryant Mating Sight by Ava Ryant (Praesidio #2)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Omg!!! That sounds so good I definitely put it in my tbrn pile!! Thank you!

message 24: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Jan 27, 2020 02:25AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 36 comments You're welcome. I really liked that Ava Ryant book. I love a good animal sidekick, both in paranormal and science fiction romance. Have you tried the S.E. Smith Dragon Lords of Valdier series yet? The golden symbionts that are always at the hero/heroines side make very entertaining sidekicks. A few of the S.E. Smith books are often freebies on amazon.

Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1) by S.E. Smith Abducting Abby by S.E. Smith

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Yes I loved that series. It was one of my favorite right now don’t know what I want to read so I’m rereading an old favorite. Ice barbarian series from ruby Dixon.

message 26: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments I love the Stolen by an Alien series by Amanda Milo; Blind Fall is number 5 in the series and the FMC is a blind woman and her guide dog abducted by aliens. A sweet, romantic read (not all the books in this series are sweet, though).

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Have you tried a lost kitten by Jessica king? I’m reading that now and it’s good. There are times I want to beat the H head in because he just doesn’t listen. I hope it has a hea ending lmao.

message 28: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments Sarah wrote: "Have you tried a lost kitten by Jessica king? I’m reading that now and it’s good. There are times I want to beat the H head in because he just doesn’t listen. I hope it has a hea ending lmao."

I haven't read it. I read the blurb and I'm not sure it's the type of book for me, my tastes run in another direction.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments I thought so too but its actually pretty good. It’s about a guy named John whose race was attacked his siblings helped keep the dominion back and help people escape. He gets stranded on one planet and is found by bogdan a seeker and gets him to his planet surreal. Surreal was attacked twenty years earlier and to stop the people of surreal from being erased another race put a spell on a large majority on them to tie them to the planet once their true mate appears they turn from mist into solid bodies. That’s the jist of it I started it yesterday and I’m almost finished with book one lol

message 30: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments Sarah wrote: "I thought so too but its actually pretty good. It’s about a guy named John whose race was attacked his siblings helped keep the dominion back and help people escape. He gets stranded on one planet ..."

The plot is indeed interesting, but perhaps too mystical for me. I usually prefer erotic romance (the one I recommended you is pretty tame for my usual reads). But thank you, anyway 😄

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments Feel free to add any books you think I may like take or erotic you’ll be surprised what I’ve read some made me cringe (cyborg story with cannibalism) and others I enjoyed like mrs talbots home for girls basically a call me daddy type story with h play acting as a little girl then there was a good book I cannot think of the name for the life of me where the H and the h went to a party held by a higher up and she had to dress in a collar leash with a anal plug tail it was a science fiction book as well lmao so as I said feel free to suggest anything 🥰🤗😇

message 32: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments Take a look at Susan Trombley's series Into the Dead Fall and Iriduan Test Subjects. Also, Stephanie West.

I loved the Khargals of Duras series (every book is penned by a different author).

Brides of the Kindred by Evangeline Anderson, some books in the series are pretty entertaining.

And plenty more...depending on your preferences. I enjoy Reverse Harem with no m-m, but some people do. I also prefer steamier reads, not so much the sweet stuff.

Or you could look at my lists, I have a lot of books listed on science fiction, it's my fav genre 😄

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (rpprincess1981) | 23 comments I’ve read one of the dead falls and one of the Iriduan test subjects they were ok books 2 are on my tbr list.

I loved brides of the kindred haven’t finished the series but it’s on my to do list. Haven’t heard of the dura I will have to look that up.

I’ll look at your list but if your looking for quickies try Zoe masters crossroad series their short books and shifter type series but no m/m.

I enjoy reverse harem series as well I enjoy them more when the men are alien looking. I read one where the men had two arms and bodies covered in while fire and long tails those are one of my favorite reads.

message 34: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Feb 18, 2020 04:31AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 36 comments Sarah wrote: "I’ve read one of the dead falls and one of the Iriduan test subjects they were ok books 2 are on my tbr list.

I loved brides of the kindred haven’t finished the series but it’s on my to do list. ..."

I've run out of suggestions for science-fiction-romance with animal sidekicks, but you did also mention liking a hero that is more alien-looking so you might like this series. The books aren't that steamy but they do have a lot of charm. Each book has the same "mars-needs-women" plot but with a different species of alien in each one.

The VaDorok (The Mate Index, #1) by S.J. Sanders The VaDorok by S.J. Sanders (The Mate Index #1)

On another note, you said you like reverse harem, so I might as well mention my favorite RH series. It's badass and I love it to pieces but it does lean more towards fantasy than science fiction.

BloodLust (Rise of the Iliri, #1) by Auryn Hadley BloodLust by Auryn Hadley (Rise of the Iliri #1)

message 35: by Marian (new)

Marian (gaditana) | 21 comments I just reviewed "Abducted" from the Alien Mate Index series by Evangeline Anderson. The heroine's got 3 sidekicks, 3 tiny alien monkeys called nib-nibs and they're really cute.

message 36: by Heather (last edited Feb 26, 2020 11:53AM) (new)