Play Book Tag discussion

Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Rosewater
December 2018: Geek Reads > Rosewater by Tade Thompson a well written book but for me 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7210 comments Tade Thompson was born and now resides in England, but spent a significant portion of his life in his parent's native country, Nigeria and identifies as Yoruba. This, I think, is important to know before reading this novel, because he knows Nigeria and the Yoruba ways, but also writes like someone living in the UK--not a bad thing, because it gives more credibility to one of the smaller characters and also to a few other important things I do not which to put here--read the novel if you want to know

This is the first scifi book I have ever read that I can remember that is set in a future Nigeria. While I didn't love it, and many parts I personally didn't even like--it's dark and has elements I don't care for--the writing is strong and at this point I plan to read the sequel, although we'll see what happens when that comes out. Thompson is excellent at developing characters and getting me to care about the protagonist even though he's not necessarily my favourite type of protagonist--very well done, indeed, as are the others.

No plot summary here, sorry, I'm not really up to all of that and you can see some stuff in the book blurb right here.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Well jeez Karin, making the rest of us look lazy here. You were right on top of December's tag. Don't apologize for not including a summary! I mean come on, it's goodreads. We're all capable of reading the one already provided on the book page. :)

Thanks for the review. I think I'll be putting it on my TBR list. It sounds like it might be a little more up my alley than yours and I don't think I've ever read a sci-fi book set in Nigeria either. Sounds like it's worth a read for that alone. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing style so much that you're considering the sequel. It's always a strong testament to an author's skill when you dislike many elements of the book, but still like the writing.

message 3: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki | 661 comments Thank you for the intriguing review - another one I'd never heard of but am now adding to my to-read list, partly because it sounds like an original take on scifi, and also to see for myself whether I share your feeling of admiring it more than I like it! (I can see that being a member of this group is going to make my to-read list get out of hand quite quickly...!)

Cora (corareading) | 1410 comments Thanks for this review. This one is on my TBR. I have a personal challenge to read diverse speculative fiction so this one is a high priority. In case anyone else is interested here a list of some other books on my radar for my challenge.

A couple more science fiction/fantasy novels set in Africa:

Lagoon (Nigeria-first contact)
Zoo City (South Africa - more urban fantasy)
Everfair (Congo - more alternative history)
The Famished Road (Nigeria - magical realism)
Binti (science fiction )
Who Fears Death (Dystopian)
Blue Remembered Earth (science fiction)
Redemption in Indigo (fantasy inspired by Senegalese folktale)
The Palm-Wine Drunkard (fantasy inspired by Nigerian folktale)
Imaro (alternate history)
Wizard of the Crow (magical realism)
Changa's Safari (sword and sorcery set in Africa)
Black Leopard, Red Wolf (fantasy)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Nikki wrote: "Thank you for the intriguing review - another one I'd never heard of but am now adding to my to-read list, partly because it sounds like an original take on scifi, and also to see for myself whethe..."

Get out of hand? No such thing Nikki! ;)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Cora wrote: "Thanks for this review. This one is on my TBR. I have a personal challenge to read diverse speculative fiction so this one is a high priority. In case anyone else is interested here a list of some ..."

Wow! Thanks for the list Cora, I'm going to have to see how many of those I can locate. Have you read all of those, or do you have any favorites?

message 7: by Cora (last edited Dec 03, 2018 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cora (corareading) | 1410 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "Cora wrote: "Thanks for this review. This one is on my TBR. I have a personal challenge to read diverse speculative fiction so this one is a high priority. In case anyone else is interested here a ..."

I have read some of them, the rest are on my priority TBR. I have read Lagoon, Zoo City, Binti (and the rest of the series), Who Fears Death, and Redemption in Indigo. I also read Akata Witch, which I left off the list by accident (young adult, fantasy). Of those I think I rated Binti the highest, but that was based on my personal tastes rather than real difference in quality. Of all of them, I think Binti expanded my thinking about Africa the least. The books are all so different. Zoo City was interesting and very different (urban fantasy/distopia/mystery) if you don't mind characters that are not always likeable. Zoo City and Lagoon are based on modern/future/urban Africa, while the others are based on Folklore or more of the traditional culture of the continent. Most of them are pretty dark. Who fears Death tackles racism, genocide, treatment of women (and female circumcision), and children being forced to become soldiers. They have all been worth reading.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7901 comments Cora wrote: "Thanks for this review. This one is on my TBR. I have a personal challenge to read diverse speculative fiction so this one is a high priority. In case anyone else is interested here a list of some ..."

My fantasy TBR is getting out of control.............. I added a few of there(a few I never knew about!!!)-let that list grow-who cares, life is all about choices~!

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Cora wrote: "LiteraryMania wrote: "Cora wrote: "Thanks for this review. This one is on my TBR. I have a personal challenge to read diverse speculative fiction so this one is a high priority. In case anyone else..."

Thank you again for all the suggestions! I certainly don't mind dark themes or unlikable characters. I'm excited to track these down. I've been meaning to read some Nnedi Okorafor for a while now, but I hadn't heard of most of these other authors and books. :) This will be great for my Reading Around the World Challenge for 2019.

message 10: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Putting in a quiet plug for The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Amy N. wrote: "Putting in a quiet plug for The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer."

Aaaaannnnnddd added. :)

message 12: by Cora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cora (corareading) | 1410 comments Amy N. wrote: "Putting in a quiet plug for The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer."

That is on my TBR too.

message 13: by Karin (last edited Dec 22, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7210 comments I have hardly been to GR all month, and missed that in my updates last time!

I had started the book in November, so it wasn't hard to finish in time :).

Cora--thanks for the list, and I'll look into the Nancy Farmer book, Amy N, since I read one of hers a number of years ago (but not the sequel).

Now I have several more books on my want to read shelf! Just scifi and one dystopian--thanks for letting us know which is what :)