Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > February 2019 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments February Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for moderator to track changes.

5. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6. Nominations will remain open until the 14th December, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1507 comments It was sooooo close last month. Eugene Onegin, again.

Alexander Pushkin ... "is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature." We do not have any Pushkin on our shelf and Eugene Onegin is his main work.

message 4: by Solange (new)

Solange | 54 comments Bárbara wrote: "I'm nominating Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon"

I will second Lady Audley's Secret.

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina I’m seconding Eugene Onegin.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Brina wrote: "I’m seconding Eugene Onegin."

I'll third it.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I nominate Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre.

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 769 comments I will second Lady Audley's Secret

message 10: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I'd like to nominate Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. Apparently, the word "masochism" was derived from his name.

message 11: by Isaura (new)

Isaura (isauravdc) | 1 comments Jehona wrote: "I'd like to nominate Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. Apparently, the word "masochism" was derived from his name."

I second that

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 137 comments Janet wrote: "I nominate Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare"

I second this.

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Michele wrote: "Janet wrote: "I nominate Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare"

I second this."

Thank you Michele.

message 14: by George P. (new)

George P. | 537 comments I'll nominate The Necklace and Other Short Stories by Guy de Maupassant. This would be a change-up, as we seldom pick short story collections, plus it's French. The Kindle is just $1 and I think a lot of libraries have it.

message 15: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I'll second Zofloya oooooyes!

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments George wrote: "I'll nominate The Necklace and Other Short Stories by Guy de Maupassant. This would be a change-up, as we seldom pick short story collections, plus it's French. The Kindle is just $1 a..."

I'll second The Necklace and Other Short Stories. I remember like Guy de Maupassant in college and would like to read some more of him.

message 17: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments BAM wrote: "I'll second Zofloya oooooyes!"

Ha ha, thanks Bam. I hadn't expected anyone to have even heard of this, let alone vote for it.

message 18: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments Aubrey wrote: "BAM wrote: "I'll second Zofloya oooooyes!"

Ha ha, thanks Bam. I hadn't expected anyone to have even heard of this, let alone vote for it."

If it doesn't win we can do a buddy read! It's been on my shelf at least a year and I've yet to pick it up

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Sounds like a plan.

message 20: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "It was sooooo close last month. Eugene Onegin, again.

Alexander Pushkin ... "is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature." We do not hav..."

Seconding, again.

(Both this and Chess story )

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stimson (naturalladyuk) | 38 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "It was sooooo close last month. Eugene Onegin, again.

Alexander Pushkin ... "is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature." We do not hav..."

I'll also second Eugene Onegin

message 23: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmy205) | 197 comments I'd like to nominate Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

message 24: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Anna Lynn wrote: "I second Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare."

Thank you.

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Bárbara wrote: "I'm nominating Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon"

I'll second this.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments siriusedward wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "It was sooooo close last month. Eugene Onegin, again.

Alexander Pushkin ... "is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian liter..."

Ditto. I seconded Chess story in short story thread and I'm seconding Eugene Onegin now, again.

message 27: by Ali (new)

Ali Haider Malik | 5 comments I second Eugene Onegin

message 28: by Gary (new)

Gary | 200 comments I nominate "Germinal" by Emile Zola

message 29: by George P. (new)

George P. | 537 comments Gary wrote: "I nominate "Germinal" by Emile Zola"

Good luck Gary. I nominated it for Dec and it finished fourth. I do want to read it sometime next year though. I would second if I hadnt nominated something else.

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments I will second Lady Audley's Secret

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre."

Hard decision, but I will second this one.

message 32: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Jehona wrote: "I'd like to nominate Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. Apparently, the word "masochism" was derived from his name."

I'll second this one.

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (dancedionysus) | 1 comments Michele wrote: "Janet wrote: "I nominate Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare"

I second this."

I also second this.

message 34: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments I second Uncle Silas

"One of the most significant and intriguing Gothic novels of the Victorian period and is enjoyed today as a modern psychological thriller..."

Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Thank you Chloe.

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Pam wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre."

Hard decision, but I will second this one."

Thanks Pam :)

message 37: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmy205) | 197 comments Darren wrote: "I second Uncle Silas

"One of the most significant and intriguing Gothic novels of the Victorian period and is enjoyed today as a modern psychological thriller..."

Thank you :)

message 38: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments Yay Pam! Good choice!

message 39: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Another for Eugene Onegin please.

message 40: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 195 comments I would like to second Venus in Furs.

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Halfway through nominations, here's what we have so far-

Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin 1837, 240 pages
J-BlueFlower - seconds- Brina, Renee, siriusedward, Rachel, Sue, Ali, Loretta (7)

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon 1862, 455 pages
Barbara - seconds- Solange, Candi, Marina, Afa, Susie (5)

Much Ado About Nothing William Shakespeare 1598, 246 pages
Janet - seconds- Michele, Anna Lynn, Chloe (3)

Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre 1806, 303 pages
Aubrey - seconds- BAM, Pam (2)

Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch 1870, 160 pages
Jehona - seconds- Isaura, Tammy, JohnDishwasher (3)

The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times by Guy de Maupassant 1884, 336 pages
George - seconds- Helen, Angie (2)

Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu 1864, 477 pages
Emmy - seconds- Darren (1)

Germinal by Émile Zola 1885, 592 pages
Gary - seconds-

message 42: by Christopher (new)

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Christopher wrote: "I'll second Much Ado About Nothing"

Thank you Christopher

message 44: by Cath (new)

Cath | 12 comments I'll second Germinal

message 45: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 375 comments Another second for Much Ado.

message 46: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2420 comments I'll also second Germinal.

message 47: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Christopher wrote: "I'll second Much Ado About Nothing"

Me too.

message 48: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Vicki wrote: "Christopher wrote: "I'll second Much Ado About Nothing"

Me too."

Pillsonista wrote: "Another second for Much Ado."

Thank you both.

message 49: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 538 comments I second Uncle Silas.

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 58 comments I'll second Eugene Onegin

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.