Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)
This topic is about Wickedly Dangerous
Dec 2018: Wickedly Dangerous > Wickedly Dangerous Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod

Our pick for December is Wickedly Dangerous by Deborah Blake. It is the first novel in the Baba Yaga series. You can use this thread to discuss the entire collection.
Known as the wicked witch of Russian fairy tales, Baba Yaga is not one woman, but rather a title carried by a chosen few. They keep the balance of nature and guard the borders of our world, but don’t make the mistake of crossing one of them…

Older than she looks and powerful beyond measure, Barbara Yager no longer has much in common with the mortal life she left behind long ago. Posing as an herbalist and researcher, she travels the country with her faithful (mostly) dragon-turned-dog in an enchanted Airstream, fulfilling her duties as a Baba Yaga and avoiding any possibility of human attachment.

But when she is summoned to find a missing child, Barbara suddenly finds herself caught up in a web of deceit and an unexpected attraction to the charming but frustrating Sheriff Liam McClellan.

Now, as Barbara fights both human enemies and Otherworld creatures to save the lives of three innocent children, she discovers that her most difficult battle may be with her own heart…

Morwen | 43 comments ....this is $7.99 on Kindle?!

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
On sale. Might be a good time to get my library card renewed.

Morwen | 43 comments I found it as audio on hoopla, which as I find romancey parts hard to listen to should be interesting

Morwen | 43 comments I am 10 minutes in to this audiobook. I don't know if I'm going to make it. 1) the narrator pronounces Baba Yaga like I've never heard it pronounced. It's not the Russian way, it's not the American way. 2) the narrator is very perky, very. Which is a really jarring choice when talking about child abduction

message 6: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Blake (deborahblake) Morwen wrote: "I am 10 minutes in to this audiobook. I don't know if I'm going to make it. 1) the narrator pronounces Baba Yaga like I've never heard it pronounced. It's not the Russian way, it's not the American..."

If it makes you feel any better, the author couldn't stand the perky narrator either. (I know, because I'm the author.) Sadly, that's not something she had any control over.

message 7: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Blake (deborahblake) I'm so tickled that you're reading my book this month! Thanks for picking it.

Morwen | 43 comments I would never fault an author for a narrator or producer's choice but I am relieved to know you had the same response. I am now roughly 1:15:00 into the story so the narrator hasn't stopped me from getting in to the story but she does pull you out of it at times.

Kelsey (kelso30) I enjoyed the book, it kept me guessing on the turns it may take. And I loved the magical aspects of the story, they were probably the best part for me. Especially Chudo-Yudo..lol. Sadly though I felt like the romance scenes were lacking something, spark, romance, I'm not sure. It just didn't get the butterflies kicked up for me.
(After reading the comments above, so glad I found a paperback at the library, I love audiobooks, but I feel like I would have been disappointed with the narration. The book Felony Ever After was the same for me, great story, but that voice, I can still hear it, lol)