Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > REVIEWS for December's Theme: Relating to Winter

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2511 comments Mod
Read any good books lately that fit our monthly theme? Here's the place to share your opinions / reactions / recommendations.

This month's theme was suggested by Holly -
Books relating to winter.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly | 7 comments I'm always a fan of The Christmas Carol this time of year. I think I've read that one 10x at least. I love the idea that people can change and that we can always improve our situation.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Holly wrote: "I'm always a fan of The Christmas Carol this time of year. I think I've read that one 10x at least. I love the idea that people can change and that we can always improve our situation."

For me I re-read Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly | 7 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Holly wrote: "I'm always a fan of The Christmas Carol this time of year. I think I've read that one 10x at least. I love the idea that people can change and that we can always improve our situation..."

I've never read that one. I will have to check it out.

Another one of my favorites is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. But then again I'm a sucker for anything Dr Seuss.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Carol | 2109 comments The entire book took place in a blizzard.
Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1) by Annette Dashofy
Circle of Influence by Annette Dashofy
Zoe Chambers series Book #1
5 ★

Zoe Chambers, paramedic and deputy coroner in rural Pennsylvania’s tight-knit Vance Township, has been privy to a number of local secrets over the years, some of them her own. But secrets become explosive when a dead body is found in the Township Board President’s abandoned car. As a January blizzard rages, Zoe and Police Chief Pete Adams launch a desperate search for the killer, even if it means uncovering secrets that could not only destroy Zoe and Pete, but also those closest to them.

Vance Township, Pennsylvania is small town America. Everyone knows everything about everybody or at least they think they do. So when the first body shows up no one can come up with a good motive other than the the well liked family man is dead. The second body is a little easier to come up with a motive...everyone hated him so there were lots of suspects. It's not a cozy but it's not your everyday murder mystery either. It's just a good who-done-it that will keep you guessing to the very last word.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Christmas Camp A Novel by Karen Schaler
Christmas Camp – Karen Schaler – 3***
As I read this, I kept thinking it was remarkably like a Hallmark TV movie I had seen last week. No matter, really. The movies are still fun to watch, and the schmaltzy Christmas romance books are fun to read.
LINK to my review

message 7: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments Holly wrote: "I'm always a fan of The Christmas Carol this time of year. I think I've read that one 10x at least. I love the idea that people can change and that we can always improve our situation."

Just took my mom to see the play at our local theater. It's her favorite story.

message 8: by KarenK2 (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:25PM) (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 139 comments I am currently reading Winter Loon by Susan Bernhard Winter Loon by Susan Bernhard. I am about 50% into it and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Maybe 3-4 stars.

It's a coming of age story set in rural Minnesota. Really broken people. And yep, plenty of snow and wildlife. Ya sure you betcha, lol.

message 9: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 483 comments A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans
3 stars
A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans

A light romance and a quick read about a man who gets ostracized by his brothers from their ad agency. It closely parallels the biblical story of Joseph.

message 10: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) | 139 comments I am now reading The Long Winter (Little House) by Laura Ingalls Wilder The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I'm reading through the series and it has been great visiting these childhood favorites.

message 11: by Lila (new)

Lila Smith (lilasmith520-) My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

I sadly couldn't get myself to finish this book! I did read half of it though!

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5) by Philip Gulley
The Christmas Scrapbook – Philip Gulley – 3***
This little novella is book 5.5 in the Harmony series featuring Quaker minister Sam Gardner, his wife Barbara, and the Friends of the Harmony meeting house. I love the gentle stories of one man’s efforts to make a difference in his community. The results of his efforts are predictably hilarious. But also impart a lesson about faith, tolerance, love and the spirit of Christmas.
LINK to my review

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly | 7 comments Reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" with my son. I've read it a few times but I enjoy the message.

message 14: by Koren (last edited Dec 27, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 483 comments The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanna Huist Smith
The 13th Gift A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith

The author loses her husband 2 months before Christmas and has a hard time getting through the holidays. She has 3 children and they are having a hard time also. But someone is mysteriously leaving gifts on their doorstep and it helps them get through. While it was kind of a sad story, it ends up being rather heartwarming.