Beyond Reality discussion

Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
This topic is about Planetfall
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Planetfall--Finished Reading *Spoilers Ahead*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Dec 01, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Kathi | 3083 comments Mod
If you've finished reading Planetfall by Emma Newman, this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

Joelle.P.S | 40 comments Oh, I just finished. Wow, that went some weird places! At first I was a bit skeptical, now I think I'll continue the series....

Rachel | 67 comments I didn’t like the structure of the jumping back and forth building To the ‘event’ everyone already knows about ...but u liked the story enough to have read the others. And I think the books get progressively stronger. Also each one is an amazing study of a different mental illness done extremely well. That is this series and books strength I believe.

Gabi | 108 comments I just finished it and I'm impressed. With the exception of the ending I liked it a lot. Ren's emotions were so believably described. In places I was pretty uncomfortable, cause it was so realistic.

message 5: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 491 comments Mod
This was a real surprise. It was certainly not your typical first contact … or first settlement … or anything typical. Ren was such a flawed yet touching character; it was wrenching to see her innermost self exposed to the colony. I don't know that I've seen a mentally ill character written both so believably and yet so accurately.

I was so intrigued with the many unanswered questions that I moved on the next book, only to find myself back on earth with a completely new set of characters. Still intriguing, but very different.

John (johnoc29) | 7 comments I will say I thought this book was okay. Not great and not terrible. I really liked the idea of being drawn into a journey of discovery and adventure, by unknown forces. Except this one didn’t have much adventure. I also found the main characters flaws and helplessness kind of what the story was about and the space travel, mysterious summons to discovering alien cities and life to be a minor part of this book. I think the build up to the big reveal revolving around her compulsive hoarding syndrome was focused on to long. The story was more about how broken, sad and weak she is, right up to a brief moment at the end where she, has no other choice but to explore the cool alien city. That starts the cool part, has room to show her metamorphosis to a better version and explore dome cool things, but instead the book just ends quickly. No real answers, no real discovery, very little personal triumph...and it’s over...the sequels are not even about the outpost or alien city. Disappointing. It’s like this book forgot it was a science fiction alien space novel and was more a diagnosis of a broken individual.
Thought the author left so much cool ideas on the table. So many small ways this book could have been better.
but it wasn’t completely bad, just disappointing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Planetfall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Newman (other topics)