2022 Reading Challenge discussion

77 views
ARCHIVE 2019 > Annie's 300

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 9 comments I've thought about upping it to 350-400, but 300 is a lot more comfortable for me. The last few years, I've been in the 250-300/year range and it's worked well, especially since a huge proportion of the books I read are medical texts and doorstop fantasies at 800+ pages.

Looking forward to lots and lots of books in 2019!


message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wow, that is amazing Annie! Wishing you the best of luck with your goal & a happy new reading year!


message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 9 comments Susy wrote: "Wow, that is amazing Annie! Wishing you the best of luck with your goal & a happy new reading year!"

Thanks! I work full time as a lab rat in a pathology lab in a teaching hospital... I love my job to bits, but I'm looking forward to retiring and having more time to read :D Then I'll be up in the 400+ club :P


message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Annie wrote: "Thanks! I work full time as a lab rat in a pathology lab in a teaching hospital... I love my job to bits, but I'm looking forward to retiring and having more time to read :D Then I'll be up in the 400+ club :P "

That is incredible Annie! I don't think I could ever read 400 books even if it were the only thing I'd do in my life....

Your job sounds intriguing btw. What do you have to do exactly?


message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 9 comments Susy wrote: "Annie wrote: "Thanks! I work full time as a lab rat in a pathology lab in a teaching hospital... I love my job to bits, but I'm looking forward to retiring and having more time to read :D Then I'll..."
I prepare and embed and do the dissection and slides necessary for cancer biopsies. When a patient has a mole they're worried about or a lump in their breast or endoscopy/gastroscopy ... their doctor sends the samples to someone like me to be prepared and diagnosed.
I love my job and it's super interesting. Thanks for asking! I'm super nerdy about my job :P


message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Annie wrote: "I prepare and embed and do the dissection and slides necessary for cancer biopsies. When a patient has a mole they're worried about or a lump in their breast or endoscopy/gastroscopy ... their doctor sends the samples to someone like me to be prepared and diagnosed.
I love my job and it's super interesting. Thanks for asking! I'm super nerdy about my job :P "


Sounds very interesting indeed Annie! And I think it's awesome that you are "nerdy" about your job. It means you're passionate about it and love what you do. How wonderful is that, right?


Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments As a cancer survivor, and a former lab technician myself (so I know how hard you work), thank you for all the work you do, and for loving it! It's dedicated people like you that made my survival possible.

As for 300 books! Wow! I'm thrilled when I get through one book a week. I can't wait to see what you read.


message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 9 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "As a cancer survivor, and a former lab technician myself (so I know how hard you work), thank you for all the work you do, and for loving it! It's dedicated people like you that made my survival po..."

Thanks, Kadijah Michelle! I, too, am a cancer survivor and going through that experience definitely defined my desire to go into cancer research/pathology. I feel like we're 'all in this world together' and if I can help any of my fellow humans, it's the right thing to do <3


message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 9 comments Well. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I'm at 606 books for 2019. I suspect I'll be close to 650 before the end of the year. I think I'll up my challenge to 400 for 2020. A fair number of my total this year included cookbooks, children's fiction, and art/ craft tutorials... but a fair number were also non-fiction and huge doorstop epic fantasies of 800+ pages. I got significantly less knitting and stitching done this year though :P


back to top