Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Wintergirls
This topic is about Wintergirls
2018 Group Reads - MH Fiction > December- Wintergirls

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (last edited Dec 01, 2018 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
In December our fiction topic is eating disorder. I have chosen Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.

TRIGGER WARNING: graphic descriptions of self harm and eating disorder

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

Blurb:
"Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit."

message 2: by Anneleen (new)

Anneleen (willow_me) I’ve actually read this book a few years ago and loved it! I remember I could easily feel connected to the character and loved the way the book was written...
Enjoy everyone!

Ebani (buttefliesonmybookshelf) I love this book! It's probably one of my favorite books I've ever read. Laurie Halse Anderson has a unique and interesting way of describing things and her characters were so well developed and relatable. 10/10.

message 4: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 344 comments Mod
Read this book in September and liked it - gave it 4 stars. According to many reviews and my own limited knowledge, the eating disorder representation was accurate. I really liked Lia's eery and disturbing thought patterns.
If somebody does not like this book, feel free to voice your opinion.
We are here to discuss books not judge your reading taste!

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay V | 6 comments Before this month, I had never heard of this author, so thank you for suggesting this book and bringing her to my attention! I'm also really glad those trigger warnings were mentioned just so I could mentally prepare myself and get through certain parts. I read through some of the reviews and saw some people complaining about the crossed out words, but I liked how that gave further insight into Lia's mind.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wintergirls (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurie Halse Anderson (other topics)