Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Romance set in ancient Greece/Rome/Antiquity?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 36 comments Hi,

I love old-school romances set in the Antiquity - but there are not so many of them.... My favourites are Merline Lovelace's Lady of the Upper Kingdom (in Alexander the Great's time). There's also a book I loved by Louise Allen, Virgin Slave, Barbarian King - a bit later (at the fall of the Roman Empire). Any suggestions in the same vein? Thanks!

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments I have nothing. Hmmm...I vaguely remember a book about a chick that goes back in time to England when the Romans came through, but it was a dead bore.

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 36 comments Yeah - I know. There are many time travel things, but not as many romances in the ancient world. Vikings and a bit of Dark Ages are the oldest that you can usually get... Ancient-world romances - not as many.

message 4: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 01, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Rose wrote: "Yeah - I know. There are many time travel things, but not as many romances in the ancient world. Vikings and a bit of Dark Ages are the oldest that you can usually get... Ancient-world romances - n..."

I have one or two shelved, but have to post later. I need to poke around my shelves to find them.

Are you talking about un-politically correct old HR set in ancient world? I think two suggestions will have rape and abuse. If that’s not your thing, I won’t post them.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 36 comments I was talking about romance in general - more classic. But I don't mind unpolitically correct books if they're well written and make sense in the historical age they're supposed to portray. It's literature - not real life, so I'm fine with this if the books accurately portray history (which was not politically correct at that time anyway...). So - thanks - I would like to hear about the books you're suggesting.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Rose wrote: "I was talking about romance in general - more classic. But I don't mind unpolitically correct books if they're well written and make sense in the historical age they're supposed to portray. It's li..."

I’m sorry. I got the wrong impression.

I don’t have any suggestions.

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 36 comments What a pity...I was looking forward to more titles. Let me know if you find something (and un-PC is fine - in the vein of Woodiwiss or Lindsey)

message 9: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Here is a book list of romances set in ancient Rome:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 10: by JennyG (last edited Dec 02, 2018 01:24AM) (new)

JennyG | 171 comments Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1) by Roberta Gellis Dazzling Brightness by Roberta Gellis

From the mists of timeless legend... an enchanting, unforgettable tale of passion, intrigue and adventure that brings two mythical lovers magnificently to life...

HE was Lord of the Underworld, cast down by the gods into a kingdom of everlasting darkness. SHE was born with mystical powers in a place of eternal light. And somewhere between the shadows and the sun was a world of treachery, danger, and unending desire...

Against the savage splendor of Ancient Greece... from the exalted mountaintops of Olympus to a glittering midnight realm... they would defy the gods themselves to make their heaven right here on earth with a love that would blaze forever in... DAZZLING BRIGHTNESS

message 12: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments JennyG wrote: "https://www.fictiondb.com/author/robe...

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=th..."

I'm in awe of JennyG's ability to answer these queries. She's one of my favorite Goodreads contributors as her vast knowledge and prompt willingness to help others out is second to none, especially in the bodice ripper genre. I once went through her responses and learned about so many interesting books with premises that were way too obscure, yet intriguing to me.

Thank You Jenny.

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 36 comments Thank you so much, JennyG for everything!! I'm going to check everything out - These will go on my list of yummy titles for the winter holiday! These books by Lynn Bartlett and Roberta Gellis are among my favourites, as well as Virginia Henley (I just love Gellis's medievals as well)! And the Lion and the Lark is not something I've read - thanks, it looks more than promising!

message 14: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 171 comments You are both welcome.

Happy reading and Happy upcoming Holidays! :)

message 15: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 02, 2018 06:08AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Yeah, Jenny!

You are indeed awesome!