Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > please remove temporary cover

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Stein | 12 comments Hi. I put a placeholder cover in for my forthcoming book, The Earl on the Train, but I now see that I cannot update my own cover because I am not a librarian. Because of this, I would prefer to have no cover at all so that I can upload the final cover myself when it is released. If someone could please remove the temporary cover I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Catherine Stein

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14390 comments I deleted the "Coming Soon" cover. I changed the edition to "ebook" because it has an ISBN. Kindle editions have ASINs instead.
Next time just post a link to the book on Goodreads.
:-)

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Stein | 12 comments Thanks. I don't know what you mean by "just post a link to the book on Goodreads". And that *is* the kindle edition. I happen to have an ISBN for it. I just haven't finished the project on amazon so I don't yet have the ASIN. Can I not put both the ISBN and the ASIN on one edition?

message 4: by Emily (last edited Dec 01, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

Emily | 14390 comments Catherine wrote: "Thanks. I don't know what you mean by "just post a link to the book on Goodreads". And that *is* the kindle edition. I happen to have an ISBN for it. I just haven't finished the project on amazon s..."

Sorry! I meant post a link to the book's page that is here on Goodreads.
Here's the explanation for the 'differences' between ebook and Kindle in the format field. If a Kindle edition has an ISBN, it should be listed as "ebook." Goodreads (Amazon) need them to be separated.
I should have pasted this earlier!
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/401

EDIT: All the editions will be 'linked' and you can set which one you want to be the default when you have both.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "If a Kindle edition has an ISBN, it should be listed as "ebook.""

That is not correct. If an ebook has only been released via Amazon as a Kindle edition, there should be no edition on Goodreads with an ISBN; just the Kindle edition with an ASIN. However, in many cases the ISBN is also used to list the ebook on other sales sites as well as Amazon, and in that case there would be a second edition with the ISBN and format ebook.

message 6: by Emily (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:09PM) (new)

Emily | 14390 comments That's what I always thought, but then I was a little confused. So in this help topic where it says
"Kindle editions with ISBN numbers should be listed as ebooks" it is referring to listing the second edition that you reference in your example, is that right?
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/401

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Correct.