Play Book Tag discussion

Smiley's People (George Smiley #7; Karla Trilogy #3)
This topic is about Smiley's People
Archive: Other Books > Smiley's People by John Le Carre

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments 3.5 stars

When I put this book on my TBR list I didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. Nothing like starting the last book first. This is my first John Le Carre book.

I think I was inspired to read this book after I saw a Sixty Minute piece on the author. I didn't realize he was a former British agent from the cold war. I was amazed how he has managed to create a whole second career as a book author in which many have been made into TV series or movie. I am in fact enjoying the TV series based on this book.

"In London at dead of night, George Smiley, sometime acting Chief of the Circus (aka the British Secret Service), is summoned from his lonely bed by news of the murder of an ex-agent. Lured back to active service, Smiley skillfully maneuvers his people -- the no-men of no-man's land -- into crisscrossing Paris, London, Germany, and Switzerland as he prepares for his own final, inevitable duel on the Berlin border with his Soviet counterpart and archenemy, Karla."

I did enjoy this book, it has been a long time since I have read any espionage. LeCarre writes very intelligently which I appreciated. I was mostly engaged with the story in all its twist and turns but by the end I did want it to wrap up. Some portions of the story did not come full circle for me but maybe that is because I have not read the trilogy in order:)

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7511 comments Ha! I have done the same thing with one of his books! I enjoy his books and often rate them 3-4 stars

message 3: by Joy D (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:13AM) (new) - added it

Joy D | 3457 comments I did the same thing with another book in this series, A Legacy of Spies, which ended up being very good. Luckily, I had read the first book, The Spy Who Came In from the Cold which helped set the context.

I had picked up the audio book at the library but there was no mention on the "jacket" of it being a book in a series.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I am glad that I am not the only one who has read series out of order.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I am one that loves espionage, but I have yet to read any LeCarre! I need to.