Play Book Tag discussion

Kickoff!
This topic is about Kickoff!
Archive: Other Books > Kickoff by Tiki and Ronde Barber

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8846 comments Can I admit that I am strangely moved?

There are many series I have foisted upon my three sons in order to give them reading comprehension skills, if not a love of reading. Third time's a charm, my 8 year old is the best reader in the house (for under 18 - that is). I must say though, my 13 year old is currently appreciating the Hunger Games, and my almost 16 year old has some measured appreciation for The Hate U Give.

I have striven to find the right varying series to engage them - and let me tell you, the series written by Tiki and Ronde Barber never disappoints. My kids have all loved them. They are well written and compelling and speaks their language. And in terms of the values inherent in the book it speaks to mine. Right now, I am tearful thinking of the wonderful mother they had, not to mention coaches and teachers who not just got them as a pair to the NFL, but are continuing to inspire young readers. This year Hockey and Football have both made me cry - twice each! And for 2019 you can count on the full on tear jerker, the third incantation of Dan Gutman's The Million Dollar Shot - featuring what? Basketball and Values and Grit. And a little poetry too.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7866 comments it is nice to hear that your boys are finding the joy of reading-When we first "met" back in March/April, you were pulling your hair out over their non-interest in books-Look how far you have all come! I love to see a great mom have success-Kudos to you!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8846 comments A very slow creep forward, with hope rising most in the youngest. Thank you though for your sweet note, as well as your friendship and support.

message 4: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Ha! I've been inactive for a while, but I remember you lamenting their disinterest as well. What have you had the most luck with, aside from the ones you've already listed? Maybe I can suggest some other reads that might engage them similarly.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8846 comments Suggest away! Zero luck with Ready Player One or Beartown. I’m actually going to try those again at some point.

message 6: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I'm not familiar with Beartown, but I wasn't impressed with Ready Player One either. lol If you have any medieval fantasy/animal lovers, I highly suggest the Wild Magic series by Tamora Pierce. Female protagonist, but since there is a Hunger Games fan, I'm guessing that's not a problem. Plus, that was the series in middle school that one of my teachers encouraged the boys to read. She kept her personal copies in the classroom so that anyone could borrow them. 1/4 of the way into the year, most of the boys in the class were fighting the girls over all of Tamora Pierce's books. :)

A little old for the 8 year old, as there is some mention of bodily changes and sex. Nothing graphic. Period panic. They kiss and fall into bed, end scene (toward the very end of the quartet) that kinda stuff.

If dark but humorous might attract any of them, Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events is a delight at all ages.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8846 comments I will order Wild Magic #1 from the library! Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

message 8: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I had no idea Tiki Barber was part author of a book! How funny.

He may be a football star, but I didn't know much about him until he was on Food Network's Celebrity Worst Cooks! Lol.

So glad to see your boys are becoming more and more into reading. Your NYC trip looked like a blast!