The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
archived nominations from 2019 > Nominations for February 2019

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) We are looking for nominations for any sci-fi novel or collection of short stories written between 1980 and 1999 that has not previously been read by the group. Please check the bookshelf (https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...) & the nomination rules (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...) before nominating a book.

Please also add your nominated book title as a clickable link directly to the goodreads' book page, so it looks like this:

Around the World in Eighty Days

Ideally, add the author, too: Jules Verne.

And mention the *Publication Year,* please!

Everything you can do to help the moderators' bookkeeping will help the group flourish, so thank you!

message 2: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 918 comments The Peace War by Vernor Vinge, first published 1984, Hugo & Locus nominee

message 3: by Leo (new)

Leo | 617 comments Great, I like to read more of Vernor Vinge.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4234 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate The Williamson Effect (1997), a collection of short stories written by some of the best in the business. It's a tribute to Jack Williamson & they tell how he influenced their work. LeGuin, Hearn, Howey, Saberhagen, & more. It's edited by Roger Zelazny.

message 5: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 161 comments I nominate Other Americas by Norman Spinrad.
First published in 1988, the book contains four novellas, each about a future America.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 688 comments Marc-André wrote: "The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson. It was published in 1995."

That is a terrific book. I read it earlier this year and gave it five stars.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 688 comments January poll #2 is going down to the wire with three books tied in first place.

message 11: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 918 comments RJ wrote: "January poll #2 is going down to the wire with three books tied in first place."

when the deadline? I may change my vote to break the tie

message 12: by Jim (new)

If we need a run-off poll, we'll have to stop the voting by the 15th or so & then set up another poll that can run for a week or so.

If anyone wants to break the ties, that would be great.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Thank you for alerting us to that, Randy.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Looks like poll #2 is still stuck with
Deathworld
A Clockwork Orange
Flowers for Algernon

tying for the lead with 6 votes each. It's tough to choose between them. I've read all 3 fairly recently & really liked them all in different ways.

Harrison's Deathworld is the first of a trilogy featuring a sharp guy named Jason who has questionable morals & is fast on the draw. He's met his match on this planet & with these people, though. Fun & full of action.

Everyone is probably familiar with "A Clockwork Orange". I think I liked the movie every bit as much as the book even though Kubrick had the US edition & thus not the last chapter which changes everything around. It's violent, not pretty, & possibly more relevant today than when it was written.

"Flowers for Algernon" was originally written as a short story. It was made into the movie "Charly" (1968) where Cliff Robertson did a fantastic job. It's one of the few movies that made me cry & all versions are heart-wrenching. I don't think expanding it into a novel did much for the story. Might have even harmed it with some stuff that didn't age well. It's certainly more relevant today than when it was written, especially given the news about the twins.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 688 comments Jim wrote: "I don't think expanding it into a novel did much for the story. Might have even harmed it with some stuff that didn't age well...."

amen brother

message 16: by Jim (new)

It looks as if Deathworld 1 has surged ahead. Alright! We're in for some action.
:)

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) This thread is closed to nominations as we have a nice selection for February. Now's your chance to make sure none of the choices are ineligible or anything; I'll lock the thread in a few days and post the poll right about the end of the month.

And now I'm off to look at the January poll, maybe close it.

message 19: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Maybe PM everyone so they know about the poll and the new rules

message 20: by Jim (new)

Marc-André wrote: "Maybe PM everyone so they know about the poll and the new rules"

I thought we already gave everyone a heads up with a broadcast message & now 2 announcements. I don't want to spam the membership.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Jim wrote: "Marc-André wrote: "Maybe PM everyone so they know about the poll and the new rules"

I thought we already gave everyone a heads up with a broadcast message & now 2 announcements. I don't want to sp..."

I do not think you will, Jim. This is the beginning of a new thing and not everyone might know about a poll being tied up.

message 22: by Jim (new)

OK, done. I'm forwarding all the hate mail, though.
;)

message 23: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Jim wrote: "OK, done. I'm forwarding all the hate mail, though.
;)"

Are there that many complaints about mail on Goodreads?

message 24: by Jim (new)

Actually, none from this group, thankfully. I've seen plenty in other groups & I really dislike getting broadcast messages since I see all the info in the group topics. I appreciate it that the rest of the group isn't as curmudgeonly as me.
:)

message 25: by Cheryl struggles to catch up (last edited Dec 31, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) In some groups, people have left the group if they get too many broadcast messages. Jim's just trying to be courteous & respectful. I'm guessing a Golden Rule thing, too... he probably objects to too many messages, himself.

Anyway, time to lock this thread.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Poll is up!
Vote if you plan to read with us!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Note that The Diamond Age won the poll with almost half the votes, a very clear majority. I fully expect at least 13 people to contribute to the discussion, too! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.