The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Hispanic Heritage Month

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Chile, Mexico

I am really ignorant when it comes to literature from Central/South America, but I found this link in another thread... List of Spanish language authors, organized by country.

Has anyone read any of the authors (or others)? Other books that take place in these countries? Would you recommend any of the books?

message 2: by El (new)

El For Chile I recommend Isabel Allende, Pablo Neruda and Roberto Bolaño.

message 3: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oooh... and I remembered this link from last challenge... a book search engine on which you can search for a book by the country it takes place in: http://www.whichbook.net/

*Second button from the bottom, "Change to character, plot, setting"
*Click on "setting"
*Pick a country
*Click "go!"

message 4: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oh my gosh. That's what I get for not reading the whole question. I didn't even see Chile and Mexico!! THANK YOU!! That will be so much easier!

message 5: by Tani (new)

Tani | 109 comments I'm really interested in recommendations for this task as well. Right now, I'm thinking about reading either 2666 by Roberto Bolano or The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, but I'd love to have a few more options, and I'm always looking for books to add to my to-be-read list.

message 6: by JSou (new)

JSou Maybe a book by Julia Alvarez? I chose Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel for this task.

message 7: by El (new)

El Tani wrote: "I'm really interested in recommendations for this task as well. Right now, I'm thinking about reading either 2666 by Roberto Bolano or The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, but I'd love to ha..."

Tani, I loved 2666 but it's not always a nice read - parts are disturbing, and I didn't necessarily find it a quick read; it's huge, yes, but also it's just heavy writing. (I dont' find that a bad thing, but some do.) If you choose to read it I hope you love it too!

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Don't forget Gabriel Garcia Marquez, either!

message 9: by El (new)

El Abigail wrote: "Don't forget Gabriel Garcia Marquez, either!"

He's Colombian. Not sure that would qualify.

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Darn. You're right. I got carried away. ;)

message 11: by El (new)

El However, if a book of his takes place in any of the mentioned countries it could qualify, so no reason to write him off entirely. :)

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments True, but the one I have waiting on my shelf definitely does not. So I think I'll just stick with Allende for this challenge, and then pair him with another book of hers for the foreign language challenge -- works either way! :)

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sara, if you're looking for something in the mystery genre, I've targeted The Xibalba Murders An Archeological Mystery for this task. It's set in the Yucatan in Mexico.

Also, Aaron Elkins has a book titled 'Curses' which is also set in the Yucatan. I enjoyed reading this one. I'm an Aaron Elkins mystery fan.

message 14: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Krista wrote: "Sara, if you're looking for something in the mystery genre, I've targeted The Xibalba Murders An Archeological Mystery for this task. It's set in the Yucatan in Mexico. "

I don't know that I'm looking for anything in particular... Just whatever sounds good. I really should finish Like Water for Chocolate, since I bought it... I hope it ends happily. The reason I stopped reading it was because of how terribly sad it was. It was depressing me.

message 15: by Angeliki (new)

Angeliki (jelojelo) | 38 comments So Gabriel García Márquez doesn't fit this challenge?

message 16: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Angeliki wrote: "So Gabriel García Márquez doesn't fit this challenge?"

It doesn't look like he does, but he does fit in the foreign language task....

message 17: by El (new)

El Angeliki wrote: "So Gabriel García Márquez doesn't fit this challenge?"

If any of his books take place in Mexico it would fit this challenge. I love him, but am drawing a blank on the setting of his books.

message 18: by Tani (new)

Tani | 109 comments El wrote: "Tani wrote: "I'm really interested in recommendations for this task as well. Right now, I'm thinking about reading either 2666 by Roberto Bolano or The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, but I..."

Thanks for the heads-up about 2666. I have to admit, I'm totally intrigued, but I did notice both the length and the subject matter might not make it suited to being a challenge read. In any case, I've got it on my to-read list, and I'm certainly going to give it a shot eventually. Just when that eventually may be is the question... :)

message 19: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 03, 2009 10:40PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I think I'm going to read The Story of A Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her To Fly by Luis Sepúlveda (who is from Chile), short and sweet and cute-looking. I don't think Like Water For Chocolate (which is SUPER DEPRESSING so far) is good for me to read right now.

message 20: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments When the Ground Turns in Its Sleep takes place in Guatemala. i thought it was beautifully written, though left many questions unanswered. worth the read, imo.

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can we read the Parallel books that they suggest on the site that Sara suggested?

message 22: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments As long as it takes place in the right country or is written by an author of the right nationality, yes... Is there are particular book you're looking at?

message 23: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Sara ♥ wrote: "As long as it takes place in the right country or is written by an author of the right nationality, yes... Is there are particular book you're looking at?"

Was looking at Latin America Sara.

The Beach - Alex Garland
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Captain Correlli's Mandolin - Louis De Berniers

message 24: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments The Beach - Thailand/UK, so no.
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Netherlands/US, so no.
Corelli's Mandolin - Greece/UK, so no.

Rough.

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Sara. Can you let me know which book you suggest I read please, as I have no idea lol x

message 26: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 05, 2009 11:00PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oh gosh, I'm WAY not the one to ask! This is just a general task (it's not mine or anything), and I have ZERO expertise in Central/South American literature. I'm not sure I've read a single book in this genre!

I was thinking about reading Like Water for Chocolate, which I started for the Spring Challenge, but never finished... but it was pretty depressing, so now I think I'm going to read Story Of A Seagull And The Cat Who Taught Her To Fly.

message 27: by Krista (last edited Oct 05, 2009 11:14PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Thanks Sara. Can you let me know which book you suggest I read please, as I have no idea lol x"

Hi Fiona:

Looking at some of the websites provided in the 'Helpul Links' folder may help you find more book choices. Here's the link to the folder on this group's site. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

There are quite a few links for websites that will help you narrow down books by country. Here are a couple of links:

* BiblioTravel (click region, then country) - http://www.bibliotravel.com
* Which Book (click setting, then country) http://www.whichbook.net/