SCPL Online NonFiction Book Club discussion

Wild Things > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL (last edited Dec 01, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Welcome everyone to our December Book Club. This month we are disucssing Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children’s Literature as an Adult by Bruce Handy. My name is Anne and I will be leading our discussion this month! We have multiple copies available in a variety of formats at the library which you can reserve here:
https://cath.ent.sirsidynix.net/clien...

I love re-reading my favourite children’s books and I am really excited to share that with you this month. I have read and reread Anne of Green Gables, Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia (and many others) more times than I can count!

As a jumping off point for the month, what was one of your favourite books to read as a child? Have you read it as an adult?

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Dec 04, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Heidi Madden | 118 comments So this will be my fourth “book about books” that I’ve read in the past year. Here they are for those that are interested:
- I’d Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life – Anne Bogel (audio) (September 17)
- Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life
- A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-18 – Joseph Laconte

But back to the topic at hand. I read a LOT as a kid. I still do, but I'm struggling to remember WHAT I read. I know there was a lot of Berenstein Bears and all the Little Golden Books. As I got older the Little House on the Prairie Series were pretty influential (I'm re-reading them this year and that has been quite an adventure). I also read all the Babysitter's Club Books.

I don't specifically remember reading Goodnight Moon but I LOVED The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I'm enjoying this book so far. It will be interesting to see what he discusses.

message 3: by Judee (new)

Judee | 12 comments A book I read and loved as a child, and then read the same book to my own children, and again myself as an adult is Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang. So full of adventure, it would take my imagination far as a child and even as an adult.

A series of books I enjoyed as a child were the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, but I haven't re-read any of those as an adult.

An absolute favourite book that I read to my children, and have read many times even as an adult, is Robert Munsch "Love you Forever". I buy it for anyone I know having a baby...and always sneak in a read of it myself before I wrap it. Still makes me cry as it did when I used to read it to my children...so touching. Now that my own mom is in the role of being cared for by her children it has a whole new meaning to me, and yes, I "love (her) forever".

message 4: by SCPL (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:04AM) (new)

Thank you for your comments Heidi and Judee! I think this is my first "book about books" this year but I am excited to check out those on your list.

I do agree with you Heidi that I know I read a lot of Bernstein Bears and Golden Books but I don't remember what specifically. The books that stand out to me more were the ones I read when I was a little older, past picture books.

Judee, I love that you read your favourite books to your children. I don't have kids myself but I have been enjoying reading some of my favourites to my niece. There is something special about passing our favourite stories onto another generation. Robert Munsch's "I Love You Forever" is such a beautiful story to read and it really shows how something as simple as a children's picture book can take on new meaning even when we are adults.

Anne

message 5: by Jules (last edited Dec 04, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Jules (missblythe) I've read all of LM Montogmery's series' and novels multiple times, anything by Beverly Cleary, the Berenstain Bears, The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart lovelace. I also try to keep up with the new series. I love the "Mother-Daughter book club" books and "Pumpkin falls mystery" series by Heather Vogel Frederick. Now I am enjoying the graphic novels of the babysitters club which I loved as a kid. Last but not least the Arthur Adventures series by Marc Brown. And too many others to mention.

message 6: by SCPL (new)

Those all sounds like excellent books Jules! As I've already mentioned, I have always loved the Anne books but I am slowly discovering her stand alone novels. There are so many amazing authors and books that have been written and I look forward to discussing some of them with you.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Madden | 118 comments Judee, thanks for the suggestion of "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang"! I just finished it and I really enjoyed it.

Can I just put a plug in for the Frances the Badger books by Russell Hoban? I was SO excited to hear Handy reference them. They were my FAVOURITE books as a kid. I actually recently rescued the two we actually owned from my mom's house. It made me so happy to hear Handy talk about what quality literature they are!

message 8: by SCPL (new)

I had to look up the Frances the Badger books Heidi, I don't remember them from my childhood. That being said, I look forward to checking out the ones that the Library has and to read them to my niece!

~Anne

message 9: by Jules (new)

Jules (missblythe) "A Birthday for Frances" was one of my favorites from that series. They are great books.

message 10: by Judee (new)

Judee | 12 comments Heidi, I'm glad you enjoyed Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang too! ;) (I saw the movie years ago but found the book to much more enjoyable. That is usually the case when a movie is made from a story book. Mind you, Dick Van Dyke starred in it and he was perfect for the character.)

I, like Anne, am also not familiar with Frances the Badger but now you've got me curious. I will definitely look into reading some of them. Thank you for the suggestion.