Our Classical Journey discussion

Monthly Favorite Classic Read > Favorite Classical Read November

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
This will be a monthly thread for members to share what classical book(s) they've read for that month and was their favorite! Tell us a little bit about why it was your favorite without giving away any spoilers! If you need to spoil, please make sure you use the "spoiler alert" link! It would also be helpful if members would use the "add book/author" link for the book(s) so that other members can look up the book it they're interested in reading it and want more information

message 2: by John (new)

John Hard to choose. There wasn't a clear 5 star winner.

I'll have to choose A Passage to India by E.M. Forster. There was a slight bit more enjoyment with this one when compared to The Iceman Cometh by Eugene O'Neill, which was my other candidate, and that would be because I enjoy novels more than plays.

They were both new authors for me. Forster had better descriptions. O'Neill had great diction.

I checked out movie versions of both from the library. Maybe watching them will sway me one way or the other.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1567 comments I read a number of good books, so it is hard to choose just one.
My favourite was Platero y yo by Juan Ramón Jiménez. I also enjoyed Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw. I am adding The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain as a special mention. So far I have been underwhelmed by his work, but I really enjoyed this one.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments No 5 star reads for me in November, either classic or non-classic. However, I've had a few 4 star books, among which my favorite classical read was The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft which won me over with its creepiness in spite of its blatant racism...

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Five star read for November was The History of Mr. Polly by H.G. Wells! 🤗

message 6: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favourite Du Maurier book.

message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favourite Du Maurier book."

Still haven't read that one Piyangie but it's on my list! 😊

message 9: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favourite Du Maurier book."

Still h..."

I've not read Frenchman's Creek , Piyangie , but I'm curious to know if you've read Rebecca , and find it better than even Rebecca , with its mysterious , beautiful ambience , and the startling revelations as the story unfolds .

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favourite Du Maurier..."

I also loved Frenchman's Creek. But I like both Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel better.

message 11: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favourite Du Maurier..."

I have read Rebecca, Savita. I liked it but it didn't become a favourite. In Frenchman's Creek, although there is no mystery, I found a more complete and appealing story.

message 12: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Piyangie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It is so far my favou..."
Read Piyangie's and Kelly's comments . Frenchman's Creek is then a must read , and I'm excited to have another book to read , by an author whom I admire so much . I must confess , however , that it was the mystery , and the startling revelations , that made Rebecca unforgettable for me . They have made a great motion picture based on this book , here in India .
Thank you Piyangie and Kelly .

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Dec 08, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Savita wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It i..."

Daphne du Maurier was a really gifted writer, in my opinion. Others to try Savita are Jamaica Inn, The Birds and Other Stories, The House on the Strand, The Scapegoat and The King's General, just to name a few. 😊

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Savita wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely loved it. It i..."

I hope you like it. Be prepared -- it is quite different from Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel. But DuMaurier's writing is still spot on.

message 15: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Kelly wrote: "Savita wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely..."

Thank you , Kelly , I'll keep your advice in mind when reading Frenchman's Creek . True , expecting Rebecca's ambience and mystery may spoil a good book for me .

message 16: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Loretta wrote: "Savita wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "My favourite classic for November is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. Absolutely..."

Thank you , Loretta , for the books you've recommended . I haven't read The King's General and The Scapegoat . Kelly has sent a cautionary advice , which I think is worth keeping in mind when moving from Rebecca to Daphne du Maurier's other books .

message 17: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventurous and romantic. All of Daphne du Maurier books are different and worth reading but for many readers, none compare to her masterpiece, Rebecca.

I hope that you'll read more of the authors books and let us know what you think about them. I look forward to your thoughts! 😊

message 18: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventurous and romantic. All of [auth..."
Loretta , I think I've pressed the flag button by mistake . Please tell me what I can do to rectify my error . I'm feeling very anxious and foolish about my mistake , and my apologies for the same .

message 19: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventurous and romantic. All of [auth..."

Excellent description on the difference, Loretta. 👏👏

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1567 comments Is there a way for you to unflag it, Savita. It might be possible using internet access instead of the app. I flagged a comment once by mistake and noticed that was an option to unflag it.

message 21: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Loretta , I love reading adventure and romance , and Daphne du Maurier would have handled those well. I will look forward to adding my own impression to the above discussion , but definitely all are agreed that it's a good book .
( Loretta , I hope you've read my above post regarding the flag error that I made ? )

message 22: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventurous and romant..."

No apologies necessary Savita. It's all good. Nothing's happened. I can't tell you how many times I've hit that prompt! I'm sure many members have. Please don't fret about it! ☺️

message 23: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventurous and romant..."

Thanks Piyangie. I was trying to describe the difference between the two books without spoiling anything for members who haven't read the books. Glad I succeeded! 😊

message 24: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

I know you'll enjoy the book when you read it Savita! 😊

message 25: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Loretta wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, Frenchman's Creek is adventu..."

Thanks , Loretta . Relieved to know no damage done , and that I'm not the only one to have made that mistake ! 😊

message 26: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Kelly's cautionary advice simply means that while Rebecca is mysterious and intriguing, [book:Frenchman's Creek|8..."

🤗

message 27: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Is there a way for you to unflag it, Savita. It might be possible using internet access instead of the app. I flagged a comment once by mistake and noticed that was an option to unflag it."
Thank you , Rosemarie , for your suggestion . I was able to send a message to Loretta yesterday , and thankfully she said no damage had been done , so nothing to worry about . Actually I realized that I had pressed the flag button when a note appeared explaining the term and its implication . I don't remember seeing the unflag option , but I may have missed it in my confusion .

message 28: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1567 comments It is very easy to push the wrong buttons. 🤪

message 29: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 592 comments Rosemarie wrote: "It is very easy to push the wrong buttons. 🤪"
That's a nice message , Rosemarie , thanks once again .

message 30: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Dec 14, 2018 04:04PM) (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Loretta wrote: "My pleasure Savita.

Exactly right. I loved ALL of her books. But I was surprised how different they were from Rebecca. The Scapegoat has elements of sci-fi, as does The House on the Strand! Frenchman's Creek is an old-fashioned romantic adventure.

message 31: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Favorite Classical Read - November 2019

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1567 comments A book I really enjoyed was Guy Mannering by Walter Scott.

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1221 comments And Quiet Flows the Don, but I have so far only read the first volume.

message 34: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments My favorite for November was The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare.

message 35: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "My favorite for November was The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare."

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Marina.

message 36: by Piyangie (last edited Dec 02, 2019 08:23PM) (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I've two for the month: Middlemarch by George Eliot and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Both ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.

message 38: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 04, 2019 02:12AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1221 comments Marilyn wrote: "The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers."

Yeah, I agree, it's a great book. Makes me smile when I think of it.

message 39: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Favorite Classical Read - November 2020

message 40: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

My favorite for November was The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery! Five ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️‘s!

message 41: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Loretta wrote: "My favorite for November was The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery! Five ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️‘s!"

Mine also, Loretta. 😊

message 42: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

☺️😌