Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
This topic is about The Kiss Quotient
December - MUST READ BEFORE 2019 > Buddy Read: The Kiss Quotient

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
It was a close call, but you chose The Kiss Quotient to be our final buddy read for the year!

You can use this thread to discuss the book.

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing < spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I want to fill december with fun and romantic stories, so I will definitely be picking this book up! Anyone joining me? 😊

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm joining in! I just realised that The Kiss Quotient is on sale in Amazon's Kindle store, for anyone interested: https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Quotient-...

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 07, 2018 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm currently halfway through the novel, and I like it so far! The Dutch language makes the sex scenes...well, not so sexy: you now have lines like "He took control of her entire mouth" and "it was a kiss full of lips and teeth" xD

And is it me, or is Michael very possessive over even little things? Like, Stella mentions her seamstress stabbing her on purpose and Michael immediately goes "WHERE DOES SHE LIVE, I'M GONNA STAB HER!"

Chill dude, you just know Stella three weeks.

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
So, I just got to the Benefit party, and..., well I put it under spoilers to be safe: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll be with you in a few days, Puck! I just started reading today.

I already find reading in Dutch awkward, can't imagine reading all these sex scenes in Dutch!

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm finished! I'm working on a review (uni comes first though), but I can already say I'm glad to have read this! The romance itself isn't very exciting - there is little question about "will they end up together?" - but I really liked Stella as a main character: she knows who she is, her autism isn't something bad, and people just have to accept that. You go girl!

However, the bedroom talk was awful. I don't think it gets better in English, but it was so cringe-worthy 🙈

So, my rating right now is around 3,5 stars.

Sofie (sofie-thegreatdane) I just finished it as well. And I agree with you, Puck, though I am going to rate it higher. I read it in English, and the bedroom talk... Well, I wasn't fond of it, either, but I do think it would've been worse if translated to my language (Danish).
Overall, I really loved the book, though I understand why some reviewers think it's a bit heavy on the sex side.
Oh, BTW, there was no mentioning of Michael wanting to stab the seamstress in my edition.

message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 14, 2018 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Anne Sofie wrote: "I just finished it as well. And I agree with you, Puck, though I am going to rate it higher. I read it in English, and the bedroom talk... Well, I wasn't fond of it, either, but I do think it would..."

Haha, good to hear Anne, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book as well!

The 'Michael wanting to stab the seamstress' isn't literarily in the book - maybe I should have specified that - but he does get worked up at hearing how Stella's seamstress treats her. Which I understand now beter, after finding out Michael sows himself :)

Sofie (sofie-thegreatdane) Puck wrote: "Haha, good to hear Anne, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book as well!

The 'Michael wanting to stab the seamstress' isn't literarily in the book - maybe I should have specified that - but he does get worked up at hearing how Stella's seamstress treats her. Which I understand now beter, after finding out Michael sows himself :)"

Oh, haha, I didn't get that. Sorry. :) Still, I actually don't think he sounded that worked up in the English version. At least I didn't really notice (and I had read your comment about it before I read that part, so I was looking for it), so it can't have been that bad, I think. Either way, it does make more sense when you find out about his primary occupation. :)

I took a long time figuring out how to rate this. I haven't read many books in the genre, and in the end I gave it 5 stars. I would probably have given it 9 out of 10, or 97 out of 100. :D I'm mostly just happy I found something I couldn't stop reading. That has been a while (years). ;)

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, I'm here! I finished The Kiss Quotient last night and I ended up giving it 3 stars. I preferred the first half over the second half - it was much sweeter and more relatable to me, so I'd give that 4/5. Then the second half was more frustrating, and I found Michael to be quite possessive and annoying, so 2/5. So, in total, 3 stars.

The bedroom talk definitely wasn't my thing either. Would have been unbearable in Dutch, but I was already cringing my way through that. "You have a pussy, Stella." I just couldn't. :') But all their firsts were really sweet and I really enjoyed those parts.

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Okay, I'm here! I finished The Kiss Quotient last night and I ended up giving it 3 stars. I preferred the first half over the second half - it was much sweeter and more relatable to me, so I'd give..."

Oh god, the pussy talk Dx I was getting so much secondhand-embarresment when Michael was naming all the different words for vagina. Sexy-mood: gone.

But enough about the sex scenes. What I really liked is how Michael and Stella as characters play with certain tropes. In this book you find a woman who's making the most money with a traditionally masculine job, and a masculine man (with his dragon tattoo and kendo) who works a traditionally feminine job.
- Although, Stella's company lets her analyse the buying of underwear 😑

And the great thing is: both characters are proud of what they do! Stella never apologizes for her brains and successful job, and Michael is never embarrassed of his sowing skills. I loved that aspect :)

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree, Puck! I love that it was a genderbent version of Pretty Woman where the woman has a traditionally masculine job and the man has a traditionally female job. Also, holy crap, it just took me 4 tries to type "traditionally" right. But it added to their sexiness, the way they were so confident in their abilities.

I found Michael a bit too "alpha male" at times, but I really related to Stella. I sometimes wonder whether I might have a form of autism, but I might just be really shy and introverted.

Sofie (sofie-thegreatdane) I actually really, really liked that Michael was NOT another alpha male. I found him protective, not possesive.
Sorry, have to cut this short. The mobile app is giving me so much trouble.

message 15: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Been there 😆

message 16: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new) - rated it 3 stars

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Hmm, I agree with both of you about Michael. Near the end I did find him too possessive: punching Philip without letting Stella handled the date herself, sending Stella all those flowers 'because he likes a challenge': those actions I wasn't a fan off.

However, I think most of his protectiveness comes from his relationship with his shitty father. His father is such a manipulative asshole, that Michael wants to protect any women that he loves from being treated bad. Sometimes this protectiveness goes to far, but it comes from a good place.
I'm glad his mom set him right near the end: just because you're like your dad in character, doesn't mean you will repeat the same actions. Michael's heart is too big for that :)