Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Night Before Christmas - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1566 comments This was a wild and wacky book. I like the way the blacksmith fooled the devil.

message 3: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I read this. It was pretty interesting, rolling between realism and fantasy. Most of all I really liked his writing.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1566 comments I like his way of describing the various characters.

message 5: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I like his way of describing the various characters."

Yes, Rosemarie; very interesting. You can almost picture them.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments I read this yesterday in one sitting, since it is so short. My edition is contained in one book called Evenings on a Farm Near Dikanka. I have read the Italian version. I haven't finished the whole collection yet, but this was my favorite story in the book so far. I think that most of these stories are not up to the most famous ones by Gogol, but this little tale was very good. I found myself smiling most of the time, it is a funny story. And I agree with Rosemarie and Piyangie when they say Gogol's way of describing the characters is just great.

For anyone who hasn't read much by Gogol and would like to read more, I recommend Petersburg Tales.

message 7: by John (new)

John After reading Gogol's The Nose, I was a little disappointed in this one. The story was nice. It felt very dream-like in that there were sudden switches of action. The whole thing seemed very psychedelic and cartoonish. The language was very overly-dramatic...maybe a fault of the translation (Pevear and Volokhonsky).

Just not for me, I guess.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1566 comments I had a book of Gogol's tales from the public library, translated by P & V, and returned it because I really did not like their translation, at all. I am reader an electronic version with a different translator and am enjoying it a lot more.

message 9: by John (new)

John Rosemarie wrote: "I had a book of Gogol's tales from the public library, translated by P & V, and returned it because I really did not like their translation, at all. I am reader an electronic version with a differe..."

Thanks, Rosemarie.

I'll look for a different translation. Maybe it'll help.

message 10: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I read this version. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... It was the only one I could find. It was pretty ok.

message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Totally different book than American writer, "Clement C. Moore's" "The Night Before Christmas". Moore's book is all "visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads" while Gogol's book has the devil running amok on the night before Christmas.

My Penguin Classic edition has a small synopsis in the beginning of the book, and I quote, "The Night Before Christmas is still read aloud to children on Christmas Eve in Ukraine and Russia". Simarliy, Clement C. Moore's book is still read aloud to American children and probably to a whole host of children of different nationalities, including Ukrainen and Russian. Moore's book is sweet. Gogol's is a bit dark, especially for children. Gogol wrote another children's book that I read recently called "Sorotchintzy Fair". The book is similar to his "The Night Before Christmas", for it's a story of good and evil, which basically that's what Gogol's "Night Before Christmas" is all about.

"Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight"! 🎄🎅🏻

message 12: by MJD (new)

MJD | 372 comments John wrote: "After reading Gogol's The Nose, I was a little disappointed in this one. The story was nice. It felt very dream-like in that there were sudden switches of action. The whole thing seeme..."

I agree with what you said: "It felt very dream-like in that there were sudden switches of action. The whole thing seemed very psychedelic and cartoonish."

I was getting a strong, somewhat cheesy, Christmas special variety TV show vibe from it. Early on I decided to take it a lot less seriously and tried to have fun with it, like viewing some Saturday Night Live skits or like watching "A Colbert Christmas" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Colbe...!

I found it enjoyable after suspending a lot of disbelief and deciding to just have fun with it.

message 13: by Valeria (new)

Valeria | 60 comments This was interesting. I'm imagining a storyteller, once upon a time, in a small room, with wooden furniture, full of people young and old. It's cold outside and everything is covered with thick snow. In those cold nights one feels so blessed to be inside...and that's when the story begins. It has all the elements of folk story: the beauty, the brave one, the horror part to spice it all up and happy ending. It was something different.

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Valerija wrote: "This was interesting. I'm imagining a storyteller, once upon a time, in a small room, with wooden furniture, full of people young and old. It's cold outside and everything is covered with thick sno..."

I love your description here Valerija! Very well written! It sounds like the first paragraph of a book you've written! I feel the warmth in the room with the family. Thank you for putting a big happy smile on my face! ☺️

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Glad to see that the members who read this book enjoyed it!

Great pick Piyangie! Thanks! 🤗