Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > January Contemporary SF/F Discussion Topic Selection Complete

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel, anthology or novella for our January group read and discussion (beginning January 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read & discuss up to three different SF/F works each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, anthology, novella, or other work, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F work which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We may also read one book from a series each month, a step in reading the entire series; that discussion starts the 11th of the months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F works discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our January discussion topic. The Fifth Season has already been selected as our December Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Friday, December 7, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments What about The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I still see people reading it and while it has already been read by the group it was before my time.

G33z3r, feel free to say it's too soon and I'll pick something else.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "What about The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I still see people reading it and while it has already been read by the group it was before my time.

G33z3r, feel free to say it's too soon and I'll pick something else. ..."

No problem, I still have my red scarf. (It's been 5 years and Hillary & I are the only currently active members who participated.)

Warning: No unicorns. (No dragons, either, but I guess they're passé now. :)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments G33z3r wrote: "Warning: No unicorns. (No dragons, either, but I guess they're passé now"

Nope, no more dragons :) And I think the only contemporary unicorn book I have is In Calabria, but given Beagle just got the classic, figured I'd save his contemporary to end the year.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments Im going to throw in ...hmmm... what did I want to read this year but haven’t gotten to...
Blackfish City by Sam Miller (seems like future SF maybe cli-fi?)

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments I'm going to nominate Soon I Will Be Invincible byAustin Grossman

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2227 comments Cat wrote: "I'm going to nominate Soon I Will Be Invincible byAustin Grossman"

That's a fun book. It was great in audio. The narrator really went with the story.

I'm going to nominate The Williamson Effect (1997), a collection of short stories written by some of the best in the business. It's a tribute to Jack Williamson & they tell how he influenced their work. LeGuin, Hearn, Howey, Saberhagen, & more. It's edited by Roger Zelazny.

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments Jim wrote: "That's a fun book. It was great in audio. The narrator really went with the story."

Oh goodie, I thought it sounded fun. I've been reading a lot of really dense things this year, and want to read some more just 'fun' things

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2663 comments Jim wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Williamson Effect (1997)"

You'll need to save that for Feb's Classic :) Contemporaries are 2000 and after.

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Rachel wrote: "Im going to throw in ...hmmm... what did I want to read this year but haven’t gotten to...
Blackfish City by Sam Miller (seems like future SF maybe cli-fi?)"

Yep it is a cli fi, with whale riders! I love that book, definitely in my top 10 this year.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Im going to throw in [...]
Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller (seems like future SF maybe cli-fi?)"

Yep it is a cli fi, with whale riders! I love that book, definitely in my top 10 this year. ..."

Good to know. I've noticed with Miller's short stories that I either love them or hate them, in roughly equal numbers. So I put Blackfish well down the to-read list.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "Yep it is a cli fi, wit..."

Aha! Now I remember! Miller has a short story in the Drowned Worlds anthology, The Last Gods, about post climate disaster humans and very intelligent whales.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments I wonder if it was the seed of this book? Sounds similar

message 14: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) G33z3r wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Yep it is a cli fi, wit..."

Aha! Now I remember! Miller has a short story in the Drowned Worlds anthology, The Last Gods, about post climate disaster humans and ver..."

I need to read that one!

He also has another story in his website: http://samjmiller.com/stories/calved/ Haven't read it so not sure if it's set in the same world as Blackfish City.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Friday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our January group read and discussion.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
OK, that's it for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Work discussion topic for January is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that these are nominations for our January discussion topic. The Fifth Season has already been selected as our December Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Friday, December 14.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 15, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today, Friday, is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our January group read and discussion.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 15, 2018 05:51AM) (new)

Announcement banner
Our chosen Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy discussion topic for January is...

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

The discussion will begin January 21.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.