Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > December 2018: Not So Secret Santa Book Suggestion Exchange

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

It's Back! It's time for NBRC's 5th Not So Secret Santa Book Exchange!

For this exchange you will get to know 2 people by doing the exchange, your not so secret Santa and the person you are the not so secret Santa to. You will suggest a book to someone and someone else will suggest one to you.

How do I join?
1. Sign up by December 7th by filling out our mini questionnaire.
2. Based on results we will try to arrange people according to what they like and/or wish to read.
3. We will post names in this topic and see what everyone suggests.
- List your Not So Secret Santa suggestions here by December 20th 25th so we can see what everyone recommends.
- Try to recommend three different books so the recipient can make a choice from what you recommend.
- On December 25th30th let us know what book each of you has picked, if multiple people are reading the same book (at least 2), we may set up buddy reads or discussion threads depending on which you prefer (if participants wish to participate in one).
4. Get suggestions up by December 20th 25.
5. Make your selection by December 25th 30th.
6. Try to read the book by January 31st.

Questionnaire:
1. What type of books do you mostly read?
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?
3. Would you like the secret Santa and possibly others to discuss the book with you?
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?
5. What is your age range:
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30-40)
D) 41+
E) Would rather not say
6. On average how many books do you read in a year?
7. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?

(NOTE--You are not buying a book for someone else; only suggesting/recommending to your recipient)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 251 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? M/M Romance (fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, Sci-Fi)
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Open to most M/M Romance also read some M/F paranormal, and Mainstream Fantasy
3. Would you like the secret Santa and possibly others to discuss the book with you? if they are willing.
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? yes.
5. What is your age range: D) 41+
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? probably around 400 varies and I probably do not record all the books I read.
7. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? can purchase but KU, Hoopla, or lendable would be nice. prefer ebooks of some kind as my house is small and yes I know the person is not buying the book for me.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments 1. YA, romance, fantasy, historical fiction, mystery

2. YA, romance, fantasy, historical fiction, mystery

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. C- 30-40

6. less this year than previous years. ( about 165-175)

7. I will borrow or buy!

message 9: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?

Fiction only. Mostly mystery/thriller/suspense, some YA Fantasy, Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Romance.

2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?

Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

3. Would you like the secret Santa and possibly others to discuss the book with you?

Yes.

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?

Yes.

D) 41+

200+

7. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?

Either is fine.

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome Roger, Laura & Geri!

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome Dee!!

message 12: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
fantasy [mostly urban but also some realistic and some high]

something fantasy or fantasy-adjacent would be best [or even if it is another genre like historical fiction, i would like it to have a supernatural element]. i do read YA sometimes because it's rather unavoidable but prefer to read adult or new adult. if you do really want to rec a YA book then i ask that it not be romance heavy or have a love triangle [really this goes for any book you rec, although i find it's more of a problem in YA than in adult books]

i am open to discussion although it's not necessary

again yes, although i am ok with not discussing it as well if there is someone who chooses that option

B) (17 - 29)

oh it seems to increase every year now lol. last year i think i was just shy of 500 and this year i think i will probably pass 700

i would prefer a book that is available as an ebook somewhere [doesn't have to be kindle, just any online retailer] but i think that is most books nowadays so that shouldn't be a problem unless you are going to rec me an old one, which i would still consider but i do vastly prefer ebooks.

i feel like i've answered these questions WAY more in-depth than anyone else so far so sorry to ramble but i can be a bit picky and i find it's best to be thorough lol

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1562 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Fantasy (mostly urban), mystery, thrillers and horror
Any of the above
Sure
Yes
C) 30-40
50-100 just depends on the year
It doesn't really matter to me as long as the book isn't too expensive. over $15 is a bit expensive

message 14: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? I read lots of fantasy but will also read romance, historical fiction, realistic fiction. I will read almost anything but prefer not to read nonfiction.

2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? I would like to be a surprise but preferrably not non fiction.

3. Would you like the secret Santa and possibly others to discuss the book with you? Yes

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yes, will try to but may not remember much if I read it a long time ago.

B) (17 - 29)

6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 60-70

I would prefer books that I can get from the library because I already have way too many books at home.

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Welcome Slytherpuff, Jessi & Devann!

message 16: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Secret Santa's will be posted in the next few days so that participants will be able to post their recommendations

message 17: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments Will the Secret Santas be posted soon?

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Here are our pairs

Secret Santa ||Recipient
Devann ||Jessi
Dee ||Slytherpuff
Geri|| Roger
Slytherpuff ||Dee
Roger|| Geri
Jessi ||Devann

Sorry for the delay in posting the pairings; I've changed the dates to allow everyone time to post their suggestions for their recipient.

message 19: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments Roger

I haven’t read much M/M Romance but I pick for you Damned If You Do. It is listed as one of the best of 2018 by Audible and part of their romance package, if you are a subscriber. I am!

I also pick Cry Wolf. One of the best M/F paranormal series I have read.

And Vicious or The Fifth Season 2 great Fantasy books!

Hopefully, you haven’t read all of these books already!

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 251 comments Geri,

Now with Mystery I know mainly gay mysteries so I will suggest one that is very good and while the gay elements are there the mystery is strong in it. The Mermaid Murders.

Now this series has been around a while and I do love cozy mysteries even though I have never read this series I suspect I would like it. Probable Claws is the most recent in the Mrs. Murphy series.

and thrillers again I will have to go to a gay one as that is what I mainly read Enemies of the State is a great book and the start of a series I devoured.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 251 comments Geri, I am picking Damned If You Do by Marie Sexton even though all of the books look good.

message 22: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Geri, I am picking Damned If You Do by Marie Sexton even though all of the books look good."

Great! I choose The Mermaid Murders. I read a sample and it looks good!

message 23: by Devann (last edited Dec 22, 2018 05:24AM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments @Jessi I'm gonna work on picking my recs for you today but I just wanted say that I was going to rec the October Daye series and I went to your read books and saw you already rated all of them 4 or 5 stars lol definitely one of my favorite urban fantasy series though

message 24: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments Devann wrote: "@Jessi I'm gonna work on picking my recs for you today but I just wanted say that I was going to rec the October Daye series and I went to your read books and saw you already rated all of them 4 or..."

Hey DeVann, I got off track with the BRs for October Daye. But I am still reading them. I have 3 more and I will be caught up with the series. Toby rocks! LOL

message 25: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments haha glad to know you're enjoying them! we sped up a little bit with the last few because the other people wanted to read them before christmas got here. we're starting on her incryptid series on january 1st if you're interested. first book is discount armageddon [the mods put up the thread earlier today] and there's only 7 out now so not such a huge number to read as the toby series

message 26: by Devann (last edited Dec 23, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments @Jessi

ok i am AWFUL at narrowing down a list so i've got my 'actual recommendations' and then also a runner-up list lol. i figure you can never have too many book recs anyway ;) i tried to pick books that weren't super well known so hopefully there's at least a few that you haven't heard of before

my recs

Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1) by Matt Wallace urban fantasy / comedy

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins sci-fi / horror

The Hanging Girl by Eileen Cook mystery / thriller

and then the runner-up list because there's just so many great books out there. you can pick from the main list or from these if one of them sounds better to you. sorry if i over-whelmed you with choices lol i've obviously read way too many books ;)

runner up list

Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1) by Rob Thurman urban fantasy

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle horror

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix horror / comedy

also i just wanted to say that since you enjoy the october daye series, seanan's incryptid series - first book Discount Armageddon - is also urban fantasy and really good and so is Rolling in the Deep which is a sci-fi / horror story written under her mira grant pseudonym. not part of the 'official recs' but just thought i'd mention them since i saw all the october daye books on your shelf!

message 27: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2046 comments I think I’ll be checking out everybody’s recommendations!

DeVann, I did not know Seanan wrote under the name Mira Grant too. I just read Parasite and I read Into the Drowning Deep earlier this year. And I did not realize!

message 28: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments Dee ~ Chillin’ Out At Xmas wrote: "Hi Slytherpuff, and Merry Christmas! You and I have a lot in common, as far as genres go, except maybe romance. I decided to choose some books that I have read, and enjoyed, so I hope that you do t..."

Thank you. Happy holidays. I've read Sadie already and I loved it. I'm still looking to decide on a recommendation.

message 29: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments @Geri, yeah she publishes all of her scifi / horror stuff under mira grant and then all her stuff that is more urban fantasy / adjacent under seanan. i think she definitely used to be more popular as mira grant because the newsflesh series was pretty big for awhile but now i think more people know her as seanan

message 30: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments at this point i think my secret santa has just disappeared so i'm thinking i won't actually get my recs, but i looked through everyone else's and I think I will add The Fifth Season [thanks Geri] and Sadie [thanks Dee] to my TBR list. hope everyone had a good holiday :)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Devann wrote: "at this point i think my secret santa has just disappeared so i'm thinking i won't actually get my recs, but i looked through everyone else's and I think I will add The Fifth Season [thanks Geri] a..."

Devann; I originally signed up but made an un even number so didn't pair myself up with anyone. My original post is #8 if you 'd like to recommend anything for me I'd be happy to recommend back. I'll take a look a little bit later today and post some recommendations for you.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "Dee ~ Chillin’ Out At Xmas wrote: "Hi Slytherpuff, and Merry Christmas! You and I have a lot in common, as far as genres go, except maybe romance. I decided to choose some books that I have read, a..."

I'm looking forward to reading Sadie for the Jan BOM; great to know you enjoyed it Slytherpuff!

message 33: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments @Laura ok I will try to pick out a few recs for you later today :)

message 34: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments Okay, I don't really read much romance - or at least nothing where romance would be considered the 'main' genre, but here's some stuff from your other categories. Once again, sorry for doing way more than three, I have trouble narrowing stuff down lol

This first batch is stuff that I think is less well known so hopefully there's a few you haven't heard of:

Flora Segunda (Flora Trilogy, #1) by Ysabeau S. Wilce YA / fantasy

The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga, #1) by Elise Kova fantasy

Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1) by Laura Lam YA / fantasy

This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1) by Kenneth Oppel YA / historical fiction

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker historical fiction

The Hanging Girl by Eileen Cook YA / mystery

And then here's some more popular ones as well:

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff fantasy

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence fantasy

And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White YA / historical fiction

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1) by Mackenzi Lee YA / historical fiction

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White YA / historical fiction

message 35: by Geri (last edited Dec 31, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Geri | 2046 comments I had hoped to make 2019 the year to shorten my tbr list. But with all these recommendations, it keeps getting longer!

I hope you enjoy The Fifth Season, DeVann. It took me a bit to get into it. But the payoff was good.

I am looking forward to reading Sadie too!

message 36: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments Hello, Dee. Hope you enjoy these recommendations.

The Librarian of Auschwitz- Historical Fiction
Milkweed- fiction
Uncaged- Science Fiction (first page of tags)
Boy Meets Boy- romance
That Summer- romance
Gone, Gone, Gone- romance (deep topic but an amazing read)
Dumplin'-romance