You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2018 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. put your Wall of Fame Name at the beginning of your post as follows: WoF Name - Peggy
2. have read the book(s) before or during October 2018.
3. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
4. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14184 comments WoF - Kristie

I read The Hate U Give and discussed it in the group read thread. I am the discussion leader and will continue to discuss as other people add their thoughts.

I really enjoyed this story. The subject matter is so relevant and the book gives people an inside look at the issue and the people affected by racism, poverty, and oppression. Definitely worth a read. I hope a lot of people join the discussion, though I expect several will be saving the book for January as it fits the yearly challenge.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2313 comments WoF Jenn
I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, and have offered up some thoughts in the group theme thread.
It was a very interesting view of a land in turmoil. That one girl has to stand up for the right to learn . . . really puts perspective on your priorities.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments WoF - Lisa GB

I read Sugar Money and discussed it in the group read thread. I am also the discussion leader.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, having DNFed one of the author's previous works. Based on a little known true event revolving around slavery in the Caribbean in the 18th century, it was gripping and thought provoking and had a really strong sense of time and place. The absolute highlight for me however were the characters, particularly the protagonist who has got to be one of the most unique and memorable main characters I have come across in a long time. This was one of those books where I was thinking about it even when I wasn't reading it and it was all set to be a 5 star read. Unfortunately, I felt the ending was a little rushed and didn't quite provide me with the insight I hoped it would so I ended up rating it 4/4.5 stars. Despite this, it's still one of my favourite books of 2018 and I highly recommend it.

message 5: by TrudyA (last edited Dec 12, 2018 10:22PM) (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments For the monthly themed read, I read Sugar Money and participated in the group discussion on the applicable thread. What really made this book a good read for me was the character Jane Harris created to narrate the story. Lucien’s character - his cockiness, sarcasm, quirky use of similes, love for his brother, growing self-awareness, and vulnerability - was the main reason I kept reading. The story was also good, though difficult to read at times. I most enjoyed the first part of the book, which was character-driven, as compared to later chapters, which were more plot-driven. The writer’s strength lies in her ability to make characters come to life.

I’m glad this was chosen as a group read, as this is an important story, but is a part of history and a part of the world I knew little of. This was a four star read for me.

message 6: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I read The Hate U Give and discussed it in the appropriate thread.

I wasn't initially going to participate in the group read this month as I wasn't sure about either book but eventually went with The Hate U Give and am delighted that I did. The book grabbed me almost instantly and I felt as though I was right in the middle of the events that were being described. I mentioned in the group discussion that the YA approach to the topic seemed to work really well as it has often been young adults that seem to get caught up in the instances of racial profiling by police and it presented the topic in a way that I certainly haven't experienced before. It certainly left me thinking about the events portrayed and the subsequent reactions to them long after I had finished the book.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 18, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49964 comments WoF - Janice

I read one of the group's selections, Sugar Money and discussed it in the official thread.

I wasn't as enamoured of this book as some of the others in the discussion. I found it rather slow at first. The subject matter was distressing. I did enjoy the narration by John Goode, and they way he brought Lucien to life.

message 8: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2461 comments WoF - Lilisa
I read Sugar Money and discussed it in the appropriate thread. It was interesting, particularly the history and language. The two brothers were contrasted well - so different but both endearing in their own way. The first part of the book went faster than the second half. Overall a good read - three stars. It was great to check off Grenada and Martinique on the country list.

message 9: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments WoF = Debra T

I read Sugar Money and discussed in the appropriate thread. I really enjoyed the first-person narrative, language, speech, etc., but at time the subject matter was difficult to take. However, a very interesting slice of history, albeit a distasteful part.

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10020 comments WoF Margo

I read Sugar Money and took part in the discussion. I was well writen and the audio narration was excellent. The dialogue was very good, I loved the cadance of the speech and the mix of dialects and lanuages created a wonderful atmosphere.

I gave it 3.5 stars. For me the plot suffered in the comparason to The Observations which I read last year and loved but this one was still well worth the read!

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments wof -renee

I read the hate you give with the group. it is an eye opening look at the problem of racism. it shows how one preconception of people color you the way you react to them

sorry about the lack of capitalization I just spiller hot cocoa on the key board. I hope it heals itself because I don't know when I can take it to the shop,

message 12: by Almeta (last edited Dec 27, 2018 03:39PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments WoF Almeta

I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban and made a comment in the discussion thread.

It was an emotional and frustrating subject.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Almeta wrote: "WoF Almeta

I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban and made a comment in the discussion thread.

It was an emotional and fr..."

Did you like the book?

message 14: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Sarah wrote: "......Did you like the book?..."

I gave it three stars. Modern politics was informative. Malala's story was interesting. Ancient politics was not.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments Renee wrote: "wof -renee

I read the hate you give with the group. it is an eye opening look at the problem of racism. it shows how one preconception of people color you the way you react to them

sorry about th..."

Oops! I hope it healed itself :)

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments TrudyAn and Clive, please don't forget to include your WoF names when reporting.

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments Badges have been posted! Let me know if I missed you, or if you didn't report yet.