You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2018 - Human Rights Theme

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15365 comments If the two chosen books are not to your liking, you can read another book that fits the human rights theme.

"Human rights include the right to life and liberty, freedom from slavery and torture, freedom of opinion and expression, the right to work and education, and many more."

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2314 comments I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. I've been wanting to for ages and this was the perfect opportunity.
I know there were some comments about the history dragging down the story, but I found it very interesting. The whole story is about her, as seen by her, or as related to her. Not a part of the world I have any interest in going anywhere near, but it is really interesting how through all of the shootings, threats, and terror she has managed to keep it all separate from the place she loves and still wants to return to.

And, on a side note, it was a very inspiring read as I was studying for my final GED test (for which I got my passing marks this morning). To have this girl put her life on the line for something I have been putting off for twenty years sort of makes you reconsider your priorities . . .

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Jenn wrote: "And, on a side note, it was a very inspiring read as I was studying for my final GED test (for which I got my passing marks this morning). To have this girl put her life on the line for something I have been putting off for twenty years sort of makes you reconsider your priorities..."

Thank you for your very honest comment, Jenn. I have been trying to get my granddaughter to get her GED. Maybe I can get her to read the book.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2314 comments I can't believe that it really took me this long to get it done Cherie. I've been squeaking by for more than twenty years now, but things are getting tight up here and I had to bite the bullet and get it done. I would totally encourage her to do it sooner than later, just thinking that her school learning would be that much fresher for her now (I'm assuming that she is probably a bunch younger than me . . . ).
I don't know how it is down South, but here it is five tests that can be done one at a time, and they just hold the marks until you have reached a high enough score in all of the tests to get the diploma.

message 5: by Almeta (last edited Dec 27, 2018 04:23PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments I read I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban.

The prologue told by Malala herself gives you the full frustrating story's overview, in just that brief period of time. From there the details send you on an emotional ride.

Spurred on now to read Michele Obama's book, Becoming. I know she is very involved in supporting girls in education and self esteem.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15365 comments This group read has ended, so make sure to report in the appropriate thread if you haven't done so yet!