You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1)
This topic is about The Hate U Give
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2018 - The Hate U Give

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14830 comments One of the group reads for December is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Kristie will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments I loved this book. It gave me incite into casual racism. It showed me the other side of a very common story.

I am looking forward to discussing the book

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments I'm excited thread this one! I'm hoping to get through it during the toppler today.

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I was going to give this theme a miss as I have quite a busy few weeks and wasn't convinced by either of the books the first time I looked at them.

Then this book was in a Kindle sale for £0.99 so I thought why not.

Then I got finished with my last book a few days ago and decided to get started on this early. I've filled almost every free minute with it since!

I'm about 60% of the way through so far so I'll hold off on discussing anything specific at the moment but I've really enjoyed what I've read up to now. Right from the start the writing made me feel very much the white, thirty-something male that I am which shows that the story being created is pretty immersive. One of the things I've been thinking today is that the YA approach is a really good one to approach a theme like this. We've all seem instances of the theme of the book in the news but for me they've always felt quite separate from me, partly due to my background and partly due to the physical distance from the types of events (that kind of thing doesn't really happen in rural Scotland). The YA approach feels like it's telling the story from inside the events in a way that you don't normally see reported.

I'm really interested in seeing how the story continues to develop and how it resolves.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2018 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments I’m glad you’re enjoying it, Clive. I just started today and even though it’s long I think I’ll be able to get through it quickly. I like the writing. I agree the YA writing and perspective make you feel like you’re in the middle of it. I'm not too far in yet, but I feel bad for Starr and the others that knew Khalil. His poor grandma.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments I love the inner monologue in this book.

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I finished the book this morning.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments I plan to finish within the next couple of hours. Can't wait to read your spoiler. I'm really enjoying this one.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2018 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Clive, I completely agree with your thoughts on (view spoiler)

I feel like I could really go off on a rant here. lol

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments I have discussed this book in my RL book group. I am really pleased that the group has brought up some new things for me to think about. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments What do you guys think about (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Chantelle (shanti15) (view spoiler)

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2018 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Yes, Jessica, and I like that in the book (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments I think the book helped me understand more what black lives matter is about. But I think it seen in some minds as only black lives matter.

The book did teach me to remember everyone comes from a different place therefore they react from a different point of view.

Kristie wrote: "What do you guys think about the "Blue lives matter" and "All lives matter" statements that people make. I think I can understand why people say those things, but I also understand why it is so fr..."

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Renee wrote: "I have discussed this book in my RL book group. I am really pleased that the group has brought up some new things for me to think about. It really hit home when Clive said he was feeling like a 35..."

It worries me a little bit that (view spoiler)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Kristie wrote: "What do you guys think about the "Blue lives matter" and "All lives matter" statements that people make. I think I can understand why people say those things, but I also understand why it is so fr..."

It's very similar to (view spoiler)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments Kristie wrote: "Yes, Jessica, and I like that in the book [spoilers removed]"

This is a really great point that I think I took for granted whilst reading but has resonated with me more since I finished the book and have continued thinking about it.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Clive wrote: "Renee wrote: "I have discussed this book in my RL book group. I am really pleased that the group has brought up some new things for me to think about. It really hit home when Clive said he was feel...

It worries me a little bit that [spoilers removed]"
I agree with you, Clive. My thought was also that (view spoiler)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Clive wrote: "Kristie wrote: "What do you guys think about the "Blue lives matter" and "All lives matter" statements that people make. I think I can understand why people say those things, but I also understand ...

It's very similar to [spoilers removed]"

Yes, it is. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Chantelle (shanti15) Kristie wrote: "Clive wrote: "Renee wrote: "I have discussed this book in my RL book group. I am really pleased that the group has brought up some new things for me to think about. It really hit home when Clive sa..."

I thought it was great that (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Chantelle (shanti15) Kristie wrote: "Clive wrote: "Kristie wrote: "What do you guys think about the "Blue lives matter" and "All lives matter" statements that people make. I think I can understand why people say those things, but I al..."

(view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Clive I think I may come from a different place then you. (view spoiler)

Clive wrote: "Renee wrote: "I have discussed this book in my RL book group. I am really pleased that the group has brought up some new things for me to think about. It really hit home when Clive said he was feel..."

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Renee, I was wondering if (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Kristie that is an interesting thought. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Chantelle (shanti15) I think that (view spoiler)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments I see your point, Renee, but (view spoiler)

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Jessica wrote: "I think that [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree with that, which is why he (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments That is it exactly (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 13202 comments Hi all! This thread has been super quiet! Is anyone else reading this one or are you all waiting to use it for the yearly challenge next year? I hope more people get around to it. It is definitely worth the read.

message 30: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2135 comments Seeing all of the comments flying about definitely has me more and more interested in reading it (despite the hype in the rest of the world, which usually throws me off). But, yes I am going to wait for Movie Mania, as opposed to doing a reread.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14830 comments This group read has ended, so make sure to report in the appropriate thread if you haven't done so yet!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 7 comments Loved this book! I haven't gotten around to watching the movie yet, but I hope I do soon. I'm worried it won't be as good. :/

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hate U Give (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Angie Thomas (other topics)