You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Sugar Money
This topic is about Sugar Money
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2018 - Sugar Money

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15388 comments One of the group reads for December is Sugar Money by Jane Harris. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Lisa will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Dec 01, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have been really looking forward to reading this. It's been on my TBR for ages and I have heard so many good things about it. Who is going to be reading it alongside me?

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2316 comments I’ll be joining you post toppler 😃

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments I have my library copy ready to go, right after my toppler book.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50014 comments I have a book between the toppler and this book, so I'll be about a week joining in.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Dec 01, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Great! I'm looking forward to discussing it with you all 😀. I am not going to be participating in the toppler so I have already made a start on this. From what I've read so far, I think it's going to throw up some interesting discussion.

Lilisa | 2461 comments I'll be joining next week some time - looking forward to the discussion.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:41PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have read up to Chapter 10 (page 51). I abandoned the previous Jane Harris book I tried to read, The Observations, because I just could not get into it. However, I think I am going to have much better luck with this one as it has already pulled me in.

I really like the way the book is written. The dialect spoken by both Lucien and his brother Emile is a mixture of English, French and Creole which took a tiny bit of getting used to initially, but I can see why the author chose to use it as it adds a real authenticity to the writing and the characters. I am also enjoying reading along in a Caribbean accent inside my head. Although I am not far in, I already think Lucien is shaping up to be a really memorable main character. He is quite witty and I am enjoying the interactions between himself and Emile. Emile is also very intriguing. It's clear that (view spoiler).

Hands up who guessed (view spoiler).

Bianco is (view spoiler).

Apparently this book is based on a little known true story. Has anyone here heard of it before? I certainly hadn't.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm now at Chapter 16 (page 88).

(view spoiler).

What happened (view spoiler).

I am really enjoying this book so far. It's more character-driven than plot-driven at the moment, but it's still very dramatic and gripping. I can see why it has so many rave reviews.

message 10: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 313 comments I am currently listening to the audiobook of this. I generally have a hard time with books written in dialect, but the Caribbean accent is charming to listen to. Highly recommend the audiobook!
I am about halfway through and the suspense is killing me!

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:19AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Dawn wrote: "I am currently listening to the audiobook of this. I generally have a hard time with books written in dialect, but the Caribbean accent is charming to listen to. Highly recommend the audiobook!
I a..."

I agree about how suspenseful it is, Dawn. I wasn't expecting it to be as gripping as it is. It's got all the tension and suspense of a thriller, even though it technically isn't one.

I'm glad you are enjoying the audiobook. Who is the narrator?

message 12: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 313 comments The narrator is James Goode. His narration is excellent and is really adding a lot to an already enjoyable read.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Dawn wrote: "The narrator is James Goode. His narration is excellent and is really adding a lot to an already enjoyable read."

I might have to check it out. I'm reading it in hardback but I think it would be an experience to listen to it as well. Caribbean accents are always quite pleasing on the ear I find.

Margo | 10033 comments I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself out of its misery LOL I am excited to get started on this one.

I listened to The Observations and really enjoyed it. It this one if half as good I will be happy. I am glad to read such positive comments about the audio Dawn 😃

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself out of its misery LOL I am excited to get started on t..."

Is that One Day, Margo? I tried to read that whilst on holiday 6 years ago and I ended up DNFing it. It was pretty awful. Hopefully you will enjoy this a lot more.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm now up to Chapter 21 (page 130).

I love the banter between Lucien and Emile. I wasn't expecting there to be any humour in a book like this, so it's been a nice surprise. Their little quips are really adding to the reading experience for me as they are helping to balance out the darker and more intense moments.

Talking of darker moments, (view spoiler).

(view spoiler).

If this book carries on being as good as it has been so far, I can see it becoming one of my favourite books of the year. I am trying to ration myself to a few chapters each day because otherwise I would just keep on reading and not get anything else done!

Margo | 10033 comments Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself out of its misery LOL I am excited to ge..."

Yep, it is One Day. I have the audio in my library for years so I wanted to get it out of the way. I wouldn't call it awful, I'll give it 2.5 stars. Not sure why I'm still listening but I have only 5 min left thank goodness!!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself out of its misery LOL I am ..."

Sounds like you enjoyed it a tiny bit more than I did! I couldn't stand either of the main characters, particularly the guy, which is why I ended up DNFing it. I also thought it was pretty boring. At least you are almost at the end now and it's one more book ticked off the list.

Margo | 10033 comments Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself out of its mi..."

Finished now (hurrah!!!) and ready to start Sugar Money tonight.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Margo wrote: "I will start this very soon. My current book is limping, painfully to an end with less than 2.5 hours to go. It will be a relief to put myself ..."

Yay!

Margo | 10033 comments I am somewhere in chapter 6. Liking it so far. The audio is great. The sing song cadence of the boys voice is very easy on the ear and a pleasure to here. I'm not catching every word but it feels like what I miss is unnessessary. I love the mix of dialects, it adds to the atmosphere.

Chapter 1 to 5 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Dec 05, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Glad you are enjoying it so far, Margo. I'm pretty certain the words you are not catching are not important to the story. I have had to look some words up on odd occasions because I wasn't 100% sure what they meant, and others where I couldn't be bothered to look something up (just me being lazy) so I have probably missed the odd thing too.

I had similar thoughts to you with regards to your spoilers from Chapters 1-5. (view spoiler).

message 23: by Lisa (last edited Dec 06, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm up to Chapter 30 (page 181).

I now know what the (view spoiler).

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Dec 06, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm now up to Chapter 35 (page 213).

(view spoiler).

This is getting tense!

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments I read Gillespie and I a few years ago, and enjoyed it immensely, so have been looking forward to Sugar Money since I became aware of it via Lisa’s nomination. I have finally been able to get a good start on the book, and so far at least, it is living up to my high expectations. I’m at the end of chapter 20 (view spoiler)

Jane Harris is such a wonderful story teller! The writing is so vibrant, and not a word is wasted. (view spoiler)

Time to review the comments above.

message 26: by Lisa (last edited Dec 08, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I read Gillespie and I a few years ago, and enjoyed it immensely, so have been looking forward to Sugar Money since I became aware of it via Lisa’s nomination. I hav..."

I'm glad to hear it's living up to your high expectations so far, TrudyAn 🙂. I haven't read Gillespie and I but I did try to read The Observations and that didn't turn out too well as I ended up DNFing it. I was interested in reading this but I wasn't sure what to expect from it in all honesty. It's blown me away completely. I LOVE it! I have been recommending it to as many people as I can get to listen to me and I haven't even finished it yet. They are probably sick of hearing me rave about it! Lol.

I completely agree about the author's writing here. It has a vibrancy which wasn't noticeable to me in The Observations. I may have to give it another go as it's possible I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it the last time I tried to read it. I am a mood reader and if I am not in the right mood for a book, I do tend to struggle with it. That's probably what happened with 'The Observations'. Now, back to this. (view spoiler). What do you think about his brother? Do you like him?

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Lisa wrote: "What do you think about his brother? Do you like him?."

(view spoiler)

I hope you add Gillespie and I to your TBR. It’s the type of book where it is best to avoid the reviews before you read it.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments TrudyAn, (view spoiler).

I have added Gillespie and I to my TBR. I will make sure not to read any reviews beforehand.

Lilisa | 2461 comments Just finished Part 1. I am enjoying it so far - nice set up and now I'm interested in the voyage. I'm impressed by the writing - don't know if it's authentic but it works for me.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lilisa wrote: "Just finished Part 1. I am enjoying it so far - nice set up and now I'm interested in the voyage. I'm impressed by the writing - don't know if it's authentic but it works for me."

I've a feeling the writing is fairly authentic. Some of the words the characters use are a bit too modern for the 1760s but I reckon the dialects, accents etc, are pretty accurate. As you say, it works and it works well.

Margo | 10033 comments Sorry I haven't been very involved in this read. I am making my way through it but there's alot going on here. I have had visitoers for the weekend and they've only just left.

Chapter 34 (view spoiler)

Margo | 10033 comments I finished the book earlier.

Overall thoughts (view spoiler)

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sorry to hear this didn't quite work for you, Margo. It's always a shame isn't it, when you have high expectations for something and it's doesn't meet them.

I haven't been able to read much these past couple of days so I still haven't finished but I'm hoping to get it done in the next few days. I will take a look at your final thoughts then, Margo.

Margo | 10033 comments I did like it, just not as much as I thought I would. I use GR rating system so 3.5 stars (I always use half stars which is not the GR way!!) means I like it. The Observations was 5 star for me so I went in with false expectations LOL

I guess my comments focused on the things I was disappointed with. Jane Harris writes extremely good characters and that is what saved this book. Sorry for sounding overly critical! I really do like this author ;-)

message 35: by Lisa (last edited Dec 11, 2018 05:40AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "I did like it, just not as much as I thought I would. I use GR rating system so 3.5 stars (I always use half stars which is not the GR way!!) means I like it. The Observations was 5 s..."

Don't apologise for being critical, Margo. You are only expressing your opinion. You weren't particularly critical of it anyway 😉. It would be so much easier if Goodreads allowed us to use half stars. I often have to round up or round down when it comes to rating books and it's not always reflective of how I truly feel about them.

The characters are definitely the highlight of this book for me. The plot is good too, it's had me on the edge of my seat plenty of times, but the characterisation is what has given it that little "something extra" for me. I could read about them and their interactions with each other all day.

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2316 comments Noooooooooo, I was getting all excited for this one, went to download it last night only to find that my library didn't get this one in its Hoopla bundle :( so, I'll have to wait and see if they work fast on my suggestion

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Jenn wrote: "Noooooooooo, I was getting all excited for this one, went to download it last night only to find that my library didn't get this one in its Hoopla bundle :( so, I'll have to wait and see if they wo..."

Oh no, Jenn! That's so annoying!

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I started today. Wish I knew a bit of French or had the audiobook. I always get a hiccup in my reading when a foreign language is included. It isn't deterring from my enjoyment of the first-person narration, though. So far, I'm liking the flow and getting to know the main characters.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50014 comments I started the book yesterday. I'm not sure where I am in the story, (listening to the audiobook). I just know I'm a little lost about what's going on. I'll go back and read some of the spoilers.

message 40: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 313 comments Margo wrote: "I finished the book earlier.

Overall thoughts I was a little disappointed in this one, maybe because I expected too much from it, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

I loved the mai..."

If you listen to the afterword on the audiobook, you can find out what happened to Celeste.

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 04:14AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I finished last night. I gave it 4/4.5 stars in the end because the final few pages were not the strongest. Up until then it had been a 5 star read without question. It's still one of my favourite books of 2018 though 🙂. Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I will post some further thoughts in a bit.

Margo | 10033 comments Dawn wrote: "Margo wrote: "I finished the book earlier.

I ..."

I completely missed the afterword! (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 04:15AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lol, Margo! I had just read your comments and wondered if maybe you had missed a bit out. (view spoiler).

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:37AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Some further thoughts:

(view spoiler).

(view spoiler).

I really wish we had been given (view spoiler).

The author's note at the end was quite interesting to read. I'm guessing the audiobook doesn't have this? I will summarise some of the more interesting parts of it here just in case so don't read this spoiler until you have finished the book. (view spoiler).

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "I started the book yesterday. I'm not sure where I am in the story, (listening to the audiobook). I just know I'm a little lost about what's going on. I'll go back and read some of the spoilers."

Although I want to listen to the audiobook in order to hear it being narrated in the proper accent, I'm glad I read it first in print form. There are a lot of things going on and quite a lot of characters to keep track of so I can imagine it could get a bit confusing at times listening to it on audio.

Lilisa | 2461 comments I wonder (view spoiler) So I must have missed what happened between Emile and Celeste when Emile and Lucien were in Grenada earlier?

Lilisa | 2461 comments I'm close to the end and will definitely the Note from the a Editor/Afterword. Thanks for the tip!

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lilisa wrote: "I wonder [spoilers removed] So I must have missed what happened between Emile and Celeste when Emile and Lucien were in Grenada earlier?"

Lilisa, I think it was (view spoiler).

With regards to Emile and Celèste, what is it you think you might have missed between them?

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Lisa wrote: "I really wish we had been given more insight into ..."

I like that Jane Harris didn’t expand on (view spoiler)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments I finished Sugar Money last night. Overall, I thought it was very good. I think I enjoyed the first-person telling of the story more than the story itself, if that makes sense. Harris is a terrific storyteller and created an unforgettable character in Lucien. The story was devastating, though I found the ending to be satisfying. I rate it a solid four stars.

« previous 1