Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > February 2019 Short Story Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
February 2019 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw
The Last Day of a Condemned Man

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Dec 01, 2018 10:14AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1468 comments Well, I am not mate yet: Chess Story

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3094 comments I must second this yet again! It has to win someday. This one really should be on our list. Maybe if it fails again if we should try it under New School.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments It is time for Chess Story to win. I'll second it and continue to second it until it wins. I read it at the beginning of the year and it was very good.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
I was so sure Chess Story would win last time I tried to get a copy from my library. There is not a copy in my whole state system. I was told they could request a copy from another affiliated state library system, but I would have to pay shipping. I asked how much that would be and was told between $5 & $10. I told them thanks but no thanks. As much as I dislike buying eBooks this is available from Amazon for $8.99. So if it wins I’m ready. That said it was badly beat in the last poll. The first and second place books each had 40 more votes. It is going to depend on what else is nominated.

message 6: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1468 comments Bob wrote: "It is going to depend on what else is nominated. "

I have noticed that too. So the stategy must be to nominate and second a lot of unknown boring-sounding stuff ;-)

message 7: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1468 comments I read it many years ago under some random circumstances: I was at a Danish “højskole” (not a high school - a place where adults go for a few week in intense study some subject, or learn something, like 2 week play acting, 2 week singing class...) I randomly found this small book in the schools library and though I would be able to finish it before leaving. I barely remember the story, just remember I picked up some random stuff for a bit of entertainment and was blown away.

Since then I have read many of his other short stories (some are almost as good). I would like to read Chess Story again.

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 702 comments Something has to run against Chess Story so I will nominate The Diamond as Big as the Ritz by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

message 9: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2897 comments Mod
I bought a copy of Chess Story, so I will second it.

message 10: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 124 comments I will try once again for Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo - it has been on the polls so often (and something has to run against Chess Story, too)!

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina I will second Pedro Paramo.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2451 comments Bárbara wrote: "I will try once again for Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo - it has been on the polls so often (and something has to run against Chess Story, too)!"

I second this.

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I will tell you all that I donated my copy of Chess Story to the library and asked them to please put it in the stacks because I had to buy it as it wasn't in the library system. They sold it at a used book sale (along with my Toni Morrison books). You can't actually give a book to the stacks if they don't want it (whIch blows).

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie | 571 comments I'd like to nominate Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. It is 112 pages and was released in 1914. It uses poetry to tell interrelated stories of several residents of a small town.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 304 comments Tammy wrote: "I will tell you all that I donated my copy of Chess Story to the library and asked them to please put it in the stacks because I had to buy it as it wasn't in the library system. They sold it at a ..."

That's just sad. I understand that libraries only have limited shelf space, but Chess Story is such a good book. And not having a single copy in a whole state is borderline criminal. It's a tiny little book, someone should have the half inch necessary to stack it.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3094 comments Bob wrote: "I was so sure Chess Story would win last time I tried to get a copy from my library. There is not a copy in my whole state system. I was told they could request a copy from another affiliated state..."

Can you just cut off the nominations now please Bob, so that Chess Story has a better chance. heeheee.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3094 comments Tammy wrote: "I will tell you all that I donated my copy of Chess Story to the library and asked them to please put it in the stacks because I had to buy it as it wasn't in the library system. They sold it at a ..."

That's horrible! I could see if it were some trashy romance or something without literary or historical value. I could also see it if they already had copies, but it makes me wonder if they don't even evaluate any donated books for use within the library.

Luckily my library does have a copy. I would happily buy this one if I had to. How admirable that you donated it for the purpose of sharing with the public Tammy. I'm too stingy with books and only get rid of bad ones.

message 18: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Month of the returning choices, I guess. I will nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott since that's the case.

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline I second Flatland, once again. Here's hoping it will win this time.

message 20: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1468 comments I am ready to join the Flatland army, as soon as I have won the Chess-battle.

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I will second Flatland as well.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 433 comments Angie wrote: "I'd like to nominate Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. It is 112 pages and was released in 1914. It uses poetry to tell interrelated stories of several residents of a small ..."

Second that. And I believe it's in the public domain so it can be read online for free.

message 23: by George P. (new)

George P. | 533 comments There are no Salinger stories on the short story bookshelf. I'll nominate A Perfect Day for Bananafish. It's very short so you may want to read a couple of his other shorts while you're at it.

message 24: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I NOMINATE CHESS STORY BY GOD WIN

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie | 571 comments RJ wrote: "Angie wrote: "I'd like to nominate Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. It is 112 pages and was released in 1914. It uses poetry to tell interrelated stories of several residen..."

Thanks, RJ!

message 26: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Tammy wrote: "I will tell you all that I donated my copy of Chess Story to the library and asked them to please put it in the stacks because I had to buy it as it wasn't in the library system. They sold it at a ..."

Argh, that is just barbaric :(

message 27: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 03, 2018 01:54AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments BAM wrote: "I NOMINATE CHESS STORY BY GOD WIN"

Its already nominated, BAM.

I second Chess Story.

message 28: by Rina (new)

Rina | 17 comments I second Chess Story.

message 29: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmy205) | 197 comments I'd like to nominate Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'll throw a new suggestion in to the mix and nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville 1853, 64 pages

Here's Goodreads description, which is very intriguing -

Academics hail it as the beginning of modernism, but to readers around the world—even those daunted by Moby-Dick—Bartleby the Scrivener is simply one of the most absorbing and moving novellas ever. Set in the mid-19th century on New York City’s Wall Street, it was also, perhaps, Herman Melville's most prescient story: what if a young man caught up in the rat race of commerce finally just said, "I would prefer not to"?

The tale is one of the final works of fiction published by Melville before, slipping into despair over the continuing critical dismissal of his work after Moby-Dick, he abandoned publishing fiction. The work is presented here exactly as it was originally published in Putnam's magazine—to, sadly, critical disdain.

message 31: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments I second Bartleby the Scrivener.

message 32: by Milena (new)

Milena | 257 comments I second Pink's nomination: Bartleby.

message 33: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1468 comments Pink wrote: "I'll throw a new suggestion in to the mix and nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville 1853, 64 pages"

Not new. I am fairly sure it was nominated about ½-1 year ago. But yes, intriguing.

message 34: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 554 comments I want to nominate Common Sense by Thomas Paine. I have been wanting to read it for a long time.

message 35: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 743 comments I would like to second Bartleby the Scrivener

message 36: by Renee (last edited Dec 03, 2018 05:07PM) (new)

Renee | 864 comments Candi wrote: "I would like to second Bartleby the Scrivener"

I will add a second to Bartleby the Scrivener.

message 37: by Anna Lynn (last edited Dec 04, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Anna Lynn (annalynn11) I nominate The Furnished Room by O. Henry.

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 06, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
Status, I know this is only the 4th day, but if I don't keep up, I'll be hopelessly lost.

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 104 pages, 1941
J_buleFlower - Sue, Tammy, Helen, siriusedward, Rina, BAM, Pillsonista. NancyJ, (8)

Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, 64 pages, 1853
Pink - lethe, Milena, Candi, Renee, Ali, Solange, Erica, (7)

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo, 128 pages, 1955
Barbara - Brina, Aubrey, (2)

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott, 96 pages, 1884
Jehona - Vicki, Janet, (2)

Common Sense by Thomas Paine, 64 pages, 1776
Paula W. - Katy, Melissa, (2)

Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker, 120 pages, 1911
Emmy - Afa, (1)

Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters, 112 pages, 1914
Angie - RJ, (1)

The Diamond as Big as the Ritz by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 58 pages, 1922
Marilyn -

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger, 18 pages, 1948
George -

The Furnished Room by O. Henry, 72 pages, 1906
Anna Lynn -

message 39: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I’m seconding Chess Story

message 40: by Pillsonista (last edited Dec 04, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Pillsonista | 375 comments Another second for Chess Story.

message 41: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9312 comments Mod
A second for Common Sense. Never read it and a perfect time is to read it with the group.

message 42: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
Message 38 Updated

message 43: by Ali (new)

Ali Haider Malik | 5 comments I second Barteby the Scrivener

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I would also like to second Common Sense

message 45: by Solange (new)

message 46: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 30 comments I second Chess Story, aka The Royal Game

My library had nothing under Chess Story, but it has The Royal Game and Other Stories

message 47: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 26 comments I second Bartleby the Scrivener

message 48: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
Second Update to Message 38

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Bárbara wrote: "I will try once again for Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo..."

I'll second Pedro Paramo.

message 50: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (dancedionysus) | 0 comments Katy wrote: "A second for Common Sense. Never read it and a perfect time is to read it with the group."

I also second Common Sense.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.