The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

it's that time again: Your favorite mystery/crime/thriller book of 2018?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8613 comments Mod
What was your favorite mystery, crime, or thriller book of the year?

message 2: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2274 comments I can't pick just one.
The Wrong Side of Goodbye - Michael Connelly
Trust Me - Hank Phillippi Ryan
Cry Wolfe - Annette Dashofy
Long Walk Home - Don Helin

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2018 05:17AM) (new)

Quillracer wrote: "I can't pick just one.
The Wrong Side of Goodbye - Michael Connelly
Trust Me - Hank Phillippi Ryan
Cry Wolfe - Annette Dashofy
Long Walk Home - Don Helin"

I don't think that any of us could pick just one!

message 7: by M.L. (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

M.L. | 365 comments My favorite is Lethal White by Robert Galbraith. It's his/her best of the Cormoran Strike series. It's a rich, rich novel.
Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4) by Robert Galbraith
Yep, I can pick just one. It's that good. :)

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have to give this some thought.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 460 comments RJ wrote: "It's a four-way TIE!..."

Power of the Dog could easily make it a five-way tie. Wow! I hope you are all jumping in for the group read!

message 10: by Donya (new)

Donya | 18 comments The 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton ! A brilliant and original murder mystery from a fantastic new Talent !

message 11: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Gretchen wrote: "Books written in 2018 or books read in 2018?"

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "Books written in 2018 or books read in 2018?""

best crime/thriller/mystery you read in 2018, regardless of when it was published.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

RJ wrote: "My Favorite Mystery/Crime/Thriller read of 2018:

It's a four-way TIE! (5 star reads, added to my all-time favorites)

Thieves Like Us by Edward Anderson
Thieves Like Us by [autho..."

I loved Black Wings Has My Angel. Another seriously underappreciated writer.

message 15: by Dana-Adriana B. (new)

Dana-Adriana B. (adrianadaniela) The Ice Twin, S.K. Tremayne. I enjoined it very much. The ideea of an isolated cottage is great for a thriller book, and the twin bondage is so strong no matter what.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 425 comments I had 2 5* reads

Blood Ties (A Jack Le Claire Mystery #2) by Kelly Clayton

Kill Me Again (DCI Tom Douglas, #6) by Rachel Abbott

message 17: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 79 comments I can't limit to one either. In no particular order:
The Witch Elm--Tana French
The Stranger House--Reginald Hill
See Also Proof--Larry Sweazy
The Blood--E. S. Thomson
A Knife in the Fog--Bradley Harper
The Death of Mrs. Westaway--Ruth Ware

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 460 comments Nancy wrote: "I loved Black Wings Has My Angel. Another seriously underappreciated writer."

Has Elliott Chaze written anything else that you would recommend?

message 19: by Danielle (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 8 comments The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2) by J.D. Barker The Fifth To Die by J.D. Barker

You can see my very enthusiastic review here. ;)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 8 comments Nancy wrote: "What was your favorite mystery, crime, or thriller book of the year?"

Are we supposed to list our favorite novels published in 2018 or just the novels we read and preferred in 2018, regardless of the year of publication?

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris | 239 comments Mine were all older books, two the first in the series
Laura Rowland - Shinju
Michael Connelly - Black Echo
F. Forsythe - The Negotiator
David Morrell - The Fifth Profession.

My absolute fave book of the year was not a mystery:
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 1 comments Jan C wrote: "I liked Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI"

I agree this one was very good.

message 23: by Huck (new)

Huck Flynn | 12 comments very few noms published in 2018 ???
any takers for Mick Herron's "London Rules" - No.5 in a great series ?

message 24: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 2 comments M.L. wrote: "My favorite is Lethal White by Robert Galbraith. It's his/her best of the Cormoran Strike series. It's a rich, rich novel.
Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4) by Robert Galbraith
Yep, I can pick just one. It's that good..."

Yes, it was brilliant! I listened to the audioversion but think I will re-read it in the "book" version.

message 25: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Jan C wrote: "I liked Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI"

Killers of the Flower Moon was my favorite too.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 95 comments I loved Killers of the Flower Moon too, and have greatly enjoyed discovering Val McDermid and Karin Fossum. I've never read Michael Connelly - he's got a lot to pick from. Any recommendations on where to start?

message 27: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2274 comments Lisa wrote: "I loved Killers of the Flower Moon too, and have greatly enjoyed discovering Val McDermid and Karin Fossum. I've never read Michael Connelly - he's got a lot to pick from. Any recommendations on where to start?"

With The Black Echo, the first Harry Bosch book then read the rest in sequence as Harry changes over them. Or start with The Lincoln Lawyer, the first Mickey Haller book. Again, read them in order as Mikey evolves over the series.

If you'd prefer a stand-alone, go for Chasing The Dime.

message 28: by jennsquared (new)

jennsquared | 48 comments The perfect stranger - Martha Miranda
Bury your dead - Louise Penny
The Alice Network

I also really enjoy the following authors that I discovered this year through this group...
Lawrence Block
Robert B Parker
Louise Penny

message 29: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Too many to really choose from but I will go with killers of the flower moon

message 30: by Jannelies (new)

Jannelies | 229 comments A Collar for Cerberus
A Collar for Cerberus by Matt Stanley

but the book I'm reading now, The Devil Aspect, could be my choice as well:
The Devil Aspect by Craig Russell

Both books are fiction with a hefty dose of non-fiction. In A Collar for Cerberus the setting is exactly like a tour of Greece I made some 15 years ago.
The Devil Aspect gives a great insight in the history of Europe.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 4596 comments The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3) by Loreth Anne White The Girl in the Moss - written well, and a good addition to the series

message 33: by Claire (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

message 34: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI had the most powerful impact on me.

I haven't read as many mysteries in the last six months due to my obsession with the Great American Read. I know I'll read another one soon though!

message 35: by Lena (last edited Dec 20, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Lena | 101 comments The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1) by M.W. Craven My favorite murder mystery/thriller of 2018 and 99% Staunch!

message 36: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Mitchell (elliemitchell) My favourite mystery/thriller of 2018 was Your Turn to Die, by Sue Wallman.

Your Turn to Die

message 38: by Brenda (last edited Dec 21, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

Brenda H (brendahsd) | 1 comments The Sebastian St. Cyr series by author:C.S. Harris|22067] and the Will Trent Series by Karin Slaughter

message 40: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) I liked many of the ones listed and two that I liked more than most people liked were Bring Me Back by B A Paris and Beautiful Bad by Annie Ward.

message 41: by John (new)

John (kingslayer1983) | 34 comments Hard to name just one. A noise downstairs, an unwanted guest, and woman in the window I enjoyed.

message 42: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
I'm finishing off 2018 with a Maigret mystery, Maigret Stonewalled by Georges Simenon Maigret Stonewalled by Georges Simenon.

message 43: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Hoseason | 90 comments I couldn't choose just one - so had to come up with a 'top ten'. Not necessarily books published in 2018, but from the c200 that I read in 2018. And here it is:
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress...

Here's the interesting bit (well, ok, it's interesting to me!) - I scrolled back through my 2018 books for the ones which I'd rated five stars, and there were only about 20 in total. Excluding the non-fiction and non-crime gave me a top ten pretty quickly... and I was *really* surprised to see that they're all squarely in the 'international' category; hardly any home-grown BritCrime novels at all.

And of my top ten, seven of the authors were new-to-me.

I chose a couple of American hardboiled thrillers; an Icelandic murder mystery; Karin Fossum's latest Inspector Sejer Scandi crime; two representing Japanese crime; two historic wartime espionage / mysteries (one from each of the WWs) and a contemporary Australian 'outback noir'.

I tried to single out just one, but couldn't! None is completely 'perfect', but Newcomer by Kiego Higashino came close. It's almost a traditional whodunnit, set in modern day Tokyo.
But on the other hand, Blood In The Snow by Franco Marks was superb; quirky EuroCrime with an engaging Alpine detective.

Anyone else try any of these...?

message 44: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 221 comments Rowena wrote: "I couldn't choose just one - so had to come up with a 'top ten'. Not necessarily books published in 2018, but from the c200 that I read in 2018. And here it is:
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpres..."

Thanks for sharing this interesting list, Rowena. I read The Whisperer by Karin Fossum last year (in Norwegian), otherwise I might have chosen it as my favourite of 2018. Instead I decided on Jane Harper's The Lost Man, another thriller from the outbacks of Australia.

message 45: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Hoseason | 90 comments '...in Norwegian' - I'm impressed! My Norwegian extends to 'takk' and that's about it!

Thank for the suggestion of The Lost Man; I'll go look it up.

message 46: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 221 comments Rowena wrote: "'...in Norwegian' - I'm impressed! My Norwegian extends to 'takk' and that's about it!

Thank for the suggestion of The Lost Man; I'll go look it up."

Thanks, but Norwegian is my first language, so it's not really that impressive. Enjoy The Lost Man!

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 95 comments Rowena, I'll be checking some of these out; it's a great list. I also read my first Karin Fossum this year, and I love her!

message 48: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Hoseason | 90 comments You might like to try Julie Zeh as well, then - she's another 'crime / thriller' writer who uses the genre to explore odd things in the human psyche, much like Karin Fossum.

This is her most recent one, I think:
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress...

Tenielle 💕 | 7 comments Although it was released last year I only read it this year... ‘They Dry’ by Jane Harper! OMG!

Also two more of my favs I read this year...
‘A thin dark line’ by Tami Hoag (who is now one of my favourite authors and ‘The bodies left behind’ by Jeffery Deaver!

message 50: by John (new)

John (kingslayer1983) | 34 comments I liked An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena , A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay , also The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton

« previous 1