The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > The Poll is open -- January 2019 group reads: your favorite author of 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8613 comments Mod
We'll start the new year with books by the mystery/crime/thriller author group members liked best in 2018. That doesn't mean they had to have been published in 2018, just that you read and really enjoyed the author's work over the course of last year.

Share your favorites with us!!

the usual:

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

message 2: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Looking back on 2018, the crime story I enjoyed best is the first in a great new series - DNA

message 3: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1) by Dervla McTiernan The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan
This new author went straight to the top of my must-read list

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
This was my favourite book in an older series, one that I hadn’t previously read.......and now she’s also gone to the top of my favourites list 😊

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Gisela wrote: "Looking back on 2018, the crime story I enjoyed best is the first in a great new series - DNA"

English-language title is The Legacy. You threw me there for a moment, Gisela.

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1) by Dervla McTiernan The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan
This new author went straight to the top of my must-read list

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths ..."

Lovely. Can you choose one of the two?

message 6: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments Difficult to choose between the two, but will go with The Ruin as most may have read The Crossing Places

message 7: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments this is a tough one!! Do you want us to nominate an author or a specific book?

message 8: by Donya (new)

Donya | 18 comments The 71/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton .
An amazing new book & a new Author. Loved it so much !

message 9: by jennsquared (new)

jennsquared | 48 comments I can't wait to see what everyone nominates!!!!

message 10: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2765 comments The Collector by John Fowles.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 11: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments I've read and enjoyed quite a few 'first in series' books this year ( it is a bit of an ongoing project) and have been introduced to a diverse bunch of detectives. With Josephine Tey though I read a later book ( The Daughter of Time) so I'd quite like to go back to the beginning and read

The Man in the Queue

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "this is a tough one!! Do you want us to nominate an author or a specific book?"

Sorry, Suzy. Just a book by the author whose work you enjoyed most in 2018.

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I'll catch up here in a bit. I've been sidetracked for a couple of days, but I'll post the nominees so far later this afternoon.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "I've read and enjoyed quite a few 'first in series' books this year ( it is a bit of an ongoing project) and have been introduced to a diverse bunch of detectives. With Josephine Tey..."

I love Josephine Tey.

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Difficult to choose between the two, but will go with The Ruin as most may have read The Crossing Places"

Okay, great! Thanks.

message 16: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Thanks for clarifying, Nancy. I'll nominate The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz, first in what I'm happy to say is becoming a series.

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 55 comments My favorite author for 2018 is Ian Rankin for the Rebus series.

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Trying to decide between two....... a husband and wife team, who both wrote excellent mysteries and I enjoyed one by each in 2018... still thinking.....

The Moving Target by Ross Macdonald The Moving Target (Lew Archer #1) by Ross Macdonald

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Ellen wrote: "My favorite author for 2018 is Ian Rankin for the Rebus series."

Did you have a particular book in mind? We've done his Knots and Crosses, but others are okay.

message 20: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 06, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

okay -- here's what we've got so far:

1. The Legacy, by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir (non US-title, DNA) -- Gisela
2. The Ruin, byDervla McTiernan -- Icewineanne
3. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, by Stuart Turton -- Donya
4. The Collector, by John Fowles -- Patty
5. The Man in the Queue, by Josephine Tey -- Carolyn
6. The Word Is Murder, by Anothony Horowitz -- Suzy
7. The Fiend, by Margaret Millar -- Bill

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "Trying to decide between two....... a husband and wife team, who both wrote excellent mysteries and I enjoyed one by each in 2018... still thinking.....

The Moving Target by Ross Macdonald [boo..."

Have we ever read anything by Millar in this group?

message 22: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Trying to decide between two....... a husband and wife team, who both wrote excellent mysteries and I enjoyed one by each in 2018... still thinking.....

[bookcover:The Moving Target|..."

It appears not.. I was leaning toward her, wasn't sure how easy it might be to find her books.. I'm perfectly willing to change.. :)

message 23: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 221 comments Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Trying to decide between two....... a husband and wife team, who both wrote excellent mysteries and I enjoyed one by each in 2018... still thinking.....

[bookcover:The ..."

Most of Margaret Millar's books are now awailable from Amazon, both in paperback and kindle.

message 24: by MissLemon (last edited Dec 05, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Bill wrote: "Trying to decide between two....... a husband and wife team, who both wrote excellent mysteries and I enjoyed one by each in 2018... still thinking.....

The Moving Target by Ross Macdonald [boo..."

I haven't read any 'Ross Macdonald' , and I'd be happy to have a go, but I read [book:Beast In View|1983630]by Margaret Millar this year and I'd certainly like to read more from her ( or take part in a discussion of Beast In view come to that)

message 25: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy I'm going to change my nomination to The Fiend by Margaret Millar The Fiend by Margaret Millar.

message 26: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments Margaret Millar was a wonderful writer. Her stories have been collected & re-printed in paperback by Soho Syndicate. They’ve been compiled into several volumes containing 5 books each, titled Collected Millar. Some were released in 2017 & some in 2018..

message 27: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Bill wrote: "Nancy I'm going to change my nomination to The Fiend by Margaret Millar The Fiend by Margaret Millar."

*Sigh* Everytime I nominate someone else nominates something I'd rather read 😉

message 28: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "Nancy I'm going to change my nomination to The Fiend by Margaret Millar The Fiend by Margaret Millar."

Okay. I'll fix the recap message.

message 29: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Margaret Millar was a wonderful writer. Her stories have been collected & re-printed in paperback by Soho Syndicate. They’ve been compiled into several volumes containing 5 books each, titled Colle..."

I ended up picking up that set. I hadn't planned to buy the whole thing, but each spine has part of a picture and I got carried away having to see the whole thing.

message 30: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2765 comments I loved The Fiend!

message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 06, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

description

message 32: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2765 comments Nancy, I’m hoping my husband got me that for Christmas ❣️

message 33: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Patty wrote: "Nancy, I’m hoping my husband got me that for Christmas ❣️"

I have to laugh whenever I walk by the shelf those books are on.

message 34: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2765 comments I was wrong about The Fiend. I got that all gobblygooked in my head with The Case of the Weird Sisters by Charlotte Armstrong. The Fiend is on my Want-to Read list. You can see how I could mix these two up; right?

message 35: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: ""

That is awesome.

message 36: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments Nancy wrote: ""

Love it! A terrific purchase Nancy 😉

message 37: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Nancy wrote: ""

Love it! A terrific purchase Nancy 😉"

It's fun, for sure.

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

People, I am so sorry. I meant to get the poll up today but I'll be busy until after dinner time so it will be first thing in the a.m. tomorrow. My apologies --

message 39: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "People, I am so sorry. I meant to get the poll up today but I'll be busy until after dinner time so it will be first thing in the a.m. tomorrow. My apologies --"

I'll put it up for you Nancy..

message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "People, I am so sorry. I meant to get the poll up today but I'll be busy until after dinner time so it will be first thing in the a.m. tomorrow. My apologies --"

I'll put it up for y..."

If you would be so kind, I will gladly do the same in January. I have so much to do before 7 tonight!!!

message 41: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "People, I am so sorry. I meant to get the poll up today but I'll be busy until after dinner time so it will be first thing in the a.m. tomorrow. My apologies --"

I'll pu..."

My pleasure.. :)

message 42: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
The poll is now open... https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Good luck!

message 43: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

My many, many thanks, Bill!!

message 44: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "My many, many thanks, Bill!!"

That's why we're here.. :0)

message 45: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2765 comments Yay! I voted for my nomination. It now has one! 💕

message 46: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

The winners have been chosen:

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and
The Word Is Murder

I'll be contacting Donya and Suzy today, and a messsage will also go out to all group members. Thanks again to Bill for picking up my slack, and thanks to all who nominated this time.

message 47: by Donya (new)

Donya | 18 comments That are great news !! Looking forward to the discussion 🤩🙏🏽 thanks Nancy !!

message 48: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Yay - I hope the groups likes The Word Is Murder. It should be a fun discussion! (Consider me contacted, Nancy!)

message 49: by jennsquared (new)

jennsquared | 48 comments I just put the word is murder on hold, should be available soon (I usually listen to audiobook) and I can't wait!!! The other one is 6 mo wait. I'll have to see if the library had a hard copy!!!

message 50: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 252 comments Have both books but only have time to read one.......decisions decisions 😉

« previous 1