2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > November 2018 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 09, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10940 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Anita Reads
Christina
Giulia
Jessika
Jonetta
Laura
Lauren
Melissa
Michelle
Robin
Viki

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1355 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: The Unwanteds Quests by Lisa McMann and completed 1 series: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

I started 1 new series: A Wrinkle in Time Quintet by Madeleine L'Engle

I moved forward in 1 series: The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen: Rizzoli & Isles book #9

As usual, both Throne of Glass books were 5 ★ reads for me. I loved how the author connects everything from previous books.

I read 6 books last month with a total of over 3,000 pages, so I did pretty good. I either had more time to read or the books were so good that I flew through them.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2378 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished Catherine Bybee's Weekday Brides series.

I started a couple series in November. I read Only The Good Die Young by Chris Marie Green. It's the first book in the Jensen Murphy, Ghost for Hire series. I also read A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White. It's the first book in a series with the same name. I'll be continuing both of them.

I moved forward in three series:
Bad Luck Brides - Geralyn Dawson
Gaslight Mysteries - Victoria Thompson
Weekday Brides - Catherine Bybee

No 5-Star books this month, but I did have two 4.5 rated books:
A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure #1) by Loreth Anne White Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7) by Catherine Bybee

I finished 8 books in November. Many of them were mediocre but there was nothing terrible in the mix.

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:16AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4296 comments Mod
1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes, 3

The Art of Running in Heels (Chinooks Hockey Team, #7) by Rachel Gibson Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4) by Lisa Kleypas The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3) by Caroline Linden

No. I'm doing well on this front

Yes, 8
Kindred in Death (In Death, #29) by J.D. Robb Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4) by P.B. Ryan Suddenly One Summer (FBI/US Attorney, #6) by Julie James Force of Attraction (K-9 Rescue #2) by D.D. Ayres Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco On Thin Ice Enhanced Collector's Edition (T-FLAC, #6) by Cherry Adair Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2) by Susan Mallery Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11) by Victoria Thompson

Not this month but most of my reads were 4 stars so all's good.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read 11 books. Funny, I thought it was less...

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Melissa wrote: "I read 6 books last month with a total of over 3,000 pages, so I did pretty good. I either had more time to read or the books were so good that I flew through them."

Well done, Melissa!
Congrats on finishing Kingdom of Ash. I didn't manage to get to in in November, but it is lined up for December.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Robin wrote: "I finished 8 books in November. Many of them were mediocre but there was nothing terrible in the mix."

Sorry about the duds, Robin.
Better luck in December :)

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! I completed The Lunar Chronicles!

On accident, yes. When I bought the book around 2015, it was the first one and I didn't realize it was going to be a series. The good news is that it is a kid's series, so it shouldn't take too much effort to get caught up.
The Doldrums (The Doldrums #1) by Nicholas Gannon

Yes, I read "I" and "J" in the Kinsey Millhone series.

No standouts, but a number of 3-4 star reads.

5. Overall summary of your reading month
I read 7 books total, which is a pretty good month for me!

message 8: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No I didn't start complete or get up to date on any series this month.

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen

Yes, I started the Rizzoli and Isles, I most defintely will continue

No
I only read one book this month and it was an amazing book. I really like it and I can't wait to read the next one.
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen

I didn't really did that well this month, only reading one book. I guess with two kids, I am lucky to read one book!!

message 9: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I managed to complete 2 series (one was a duology)
The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4) by Robin Hobb
I started 2 and will continue with both once they publish their sequels.
City of Lies (Poison Wars #1) by Sam Hawke The Exercise of Vital Powers (Legends of the Order, #1) by Ian Gregoire
I made progress in 8 series (apart from those finishes)
The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Screwdrivered (Cocktail, #3) by Alice Clayton No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5) by Jodi Taylor Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5) by Jennifer Estep Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3) by Terry Pratchett Wundersmith The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2) by Jessica Townsend Lumberjanes, Vol. 2 Friendship to the Max by Noelle Stevenson
I only gave five stars to two books (Wundersmith and Blood of Dragons). But gave 4.5 stars to 3 (The Dead Zone, Witches Abroad, Lumberjanes Vol. 2)
Wundersmith The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2) by Jessica Townsend Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4) by Robin Hobb The Dead Zone by Stephen King Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3) by Terry Pratchett Lumberjanes, Vol. 2 Friendship to the Max by Noelle Stevenson
I had a great month audio wise, but lacked a lot on my physical and ebook reading. Hopefully december will be better. I did manage to read some unexpected books as well.

message 10: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

I moved forward in 3 series:
Whispers Under Ground
Wolves of the Calla
Rise of Empire

I only read 3 books this month and I fell behind in our Gaslight Mystery reads, but the page count was high and I enjoyed most of what I read so I'm satisfied :)

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
I started a few. One was a trilogy which finished. Lesli Richardson's Governor trilogy. One I'm going to continue as it will make for great de-stressed or decompress between my more dark reads Vanessa Vale's Bridgewater county series. The other I started I was trying to get to one I needed for a challenge but it has to many triggers for me K . A. Merikan's Sex & Mayhem. I'm not sure if its the style of writing as this is a collaboration of writers. this series is hit and miss for me. But I've been told that her other series is not as bad as this I might continue with the author but just another series. I read a few other books that are part of series but as I just read it for a challenge and nothing about them urged me to continue.

Overall for me it was a slow month. Real life was rude and intruding on my reading ;-) No stand out reads but a few enjoyable ones. For the most part I think because of my bad reading material it affected my count. I was half determined to find out what happened and struggled through. I'm hoping December is better as far as series goes but what with having to complete challenges i see that I might have some that just that; challenge reads

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: The Unwanteds Quests by Lisa McMann and completed 1 series: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

2. D..."

Excellent, Melissa!! I think you had a really good month and congrats on keeping up with the group reads.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished Catherine Bybee's Weekday Brides series.

I..."

Another highly productive month, Robin! Sorry you had too many “meh” books but at least you made some series progress. You definitely sold me on the Bybee series.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes, 3

The Art of Running in Heels (Chinooks Hockey Team, #7) by Rachel GibsonBrown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4) by Lisa Kleypas[bookcover:The Way to a Duke's Heart|..."

Nicely done, Lauren!! That’s two months in a row you’ve not started a new series. Advancing eight series is great!

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! I completed The Lunar Chronicles!

On accident, y..."

Woo hoo! Reading 7 books is great, Jessika, not to mention finishing a series and moving forward in another one. Kudos!!

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? ..."

If I had small children (isn’t your youngest under 2-years old?) I don’t know that I’d get any reading done! Still, Viki, you managed to join our group read and that’s great!

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Anita Reads wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I managed to complete 2 series (one was a duology)
The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh[bookcover:Blood of Dragons|24..."

Okay, Anita, give yourself a break. You had a GREAT month!! Congrats on having such a good reading experience.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

3. Did you move forward in any series? How ma..."

Giulia, you read three books, all in your series. That’s excellent! Don’t worry about getting behind on the Gaslight Mystery. It’ll still be there when you catch up. I got behind in Rizzoli & Isles myself.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
I started a few. One was a trilogy which finished. Lesli Richardson's Governor trilogy. One I'm going to continue as it wi..."

Sorry the month was disappointing, Michelle. Hopefully December will be better.

message 20: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I got up to date in 3 series:
Hope by Jaci Burton
Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris
Shadow Creek, Montana by Victoria James

Yes, I started 2 series, Firefighters by J. R. Ward and a book by Lex Martin that’s connected to another and she hasn’t yet named that as a series. I definitely plan to continue both.

Yes, I moved forward in 3 series:
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson
Titanium Security by Kaylea Cross

I had quite a few! My 5-star reads were Reckless and A Gentleman for Christmas, two books that were unexpectedly delicious. I had two 4 1/2 star rated books that were exceptional, Jane Doe & Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating, which I simply enjoyed way too much.

I read 15 books this month but three were really short novellas. I’m still happy with the quantity but the quality is what I’m most pleased about. Just about all of them were wonderful reading experiences and I’m finding balance between my standalones and series reads.
Reckless by Lex Martin A Gentleman for Christmas by Prescott Lane Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments OH I'd forgotten about A Gentleman for Christmas. I read that as well. I really love this author.

And I have the J R ward's one on my shelf as well. Jonetta looks like you really had a good month. Al the best for this month.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Michelle!

message 23: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments Jonetta wrote: "Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start any new series? If so, wha..."

My youngest will be 3 in Jan!

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Viki, I remember when she was born! It’s been 3 years????!!!! I can’t believe it.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I got up to date in 3 series:
Hope by Jaci Burton
Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris
Shadow Creek, Montana by Victoria James
..."

Excellent month for you that you loved your books. I'm marking the Hope series as being completed. I can't find any mention of any more books coming out in this, have you? No singles left either.
I have JR Ward's Firefighters on my list this month, do I have to read the novellas?

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Excellent month for you that you loved your books. I'm marking the Hope series as being completed. I can't find any mention of any more books coming out in this, have you? No singles left either.
I have JR Ward's Firefighters on my list this month, do I have to read the novellas?..."

Thanks for asking about the Hope series. I did some research and Burton said on her home page that this was the final book in the series. It’s probably time but I’ve enjoyed this series and am sad it’s over.

You absolutely MUST read the novellas in the Firefighters series. They are important with significant events that shape the first book. I even wrote that in my review.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Excellent month for you that you loved your books. I'm marking the Hope series as being completed. I can't find any mention of any more books coming out in this, have you? No singles ..."

I thought the series had really run its course and I enjoyed it too. She has a new series out next year, which is about time as Play by Play is complete also.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in Sarina Bowen Brooklyn Bruisers series
I completed 3 series
Sarah MacLean Love By Numbers, LJ Shen Sinners of Saint and the Hope series by Jaci Burton

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Of course I did- 5
Colorado Mountain Kristen Ashley
Lisa Kleypas Wallflowers,
A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White,
Sweet Addiction by J. Daniels
and Elle Kennedy Campus. I will continue all of them
I made progress in 3
Wrong series by Jana Aston Ice series by Anne Stewart and Tatanium Security by Kaylea Cross
The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley She sucks me in with every book.
A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure #1) by Loreth Anne White exciting thriller with the 3 components to romantic suspense that I want, Action, Romance and a rescue.
That Guy by Kim Jones Hilarious RomCom that I could not put down
Fight or Flight by Samantha Young Swoony romance by one of my favorite writers.
17 books-9 5 star reads I loved my reads and I really worked on choosing some books that I had on my kindle for awhile. I did a facebook bingo challenge which helped with that.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed 3 series
Sarah MacLean Love By Numbers, LJ Shen Sinners of..."

Lol! You started 5 series??? However! I love 4 of the 5 so I think it’s great😁 I went kind of crazy with Colorado Mountain, listening to those books in a row until I stalled at Jagged, #5. Trying to get back to it.

Seriously, you had a really good month, Laura!

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed 3 series
Sarah MacLean Love By Numbers, LJ S..."

I could easily binge Colorado Mountain but with all of KA books I pretty much ignore everyone and everything while reading and since it's the holidays I really shouldn't ignore everyone lol.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

That’s when I read The Gamble, during the Christmas season. I was wrapping gifts, Christmas shopping, cleaning and cooking with my headphones on. All this happened right before my whole family showed up for Christmas. I finished about two hours after they all arrived😏

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "That’s when I read The Gamble, during the Christmas season. I was wrapping gifts, Christmas shopping, cleaning and cooking with my headphones on. All this happened right before my w..."

Lol

message 33: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 541 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Almost but not quite. With Turbo Twenty-Three I have 2 more books to get caught up in the series. Book 25 just came out on 11/13/18. With Abandoned I just have the novella prequel left to be caught up. Empire of Storms brings me 2 books from being caught up.
Nope...yay me!
Yep. I moved forward in 3. All 4 of my books helped with this.
The older I'm getting the more nitpicky I think I am with the books I read. I had one 4.5 but the rest were pretty average.
I had one 4.5 star and two 3.5 and one 3 star. I only read 4 books this month with half being audio. Not very productive but Empire of Storms took me almost 3 weeks. I loved it but only was able to read about 30 pages a day. So weird.
✔☊ Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum, #22) by Janet Evanovich Finished 11/20/2018 ★★★1/2
Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas Finished 11/20/18 ★★★★1/2
✔☊ Turbo Twenty-Three (Stephanie Plum, #23) by Janet Evanovich Finished 11/27/2018★★★
Abandoned (Max Revere, #5) by Allison Brennan Finished 11/30/18 ★★★1/2

message 34: by Lauren (new)

You are doing fantastically, Christina!
I loved Empire of Storms too.
Kingdom of Ash is like 2 books in one, but its excellent. None stop action :)

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

I agree, Lauren. I think you’re doing well, Christina! You made a lot of headway when you were recuperating and now that you’re back to work, you’re still moving forward.

Good job!

message 36: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 541 comments Thank you both. I would love to have more books read but I'm not beating myself up for not reading more. I continue to share my downtime with Netflix/Hulu, reading, and one night a week out with friends as well. I'm enjoying all I do which is all that matters.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Amen to that!

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Christina T wrote: " I'm enjoying all I do which is all that matters."

Absolutely!