UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2018-20 > Christmas / Winter - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
So time to settle down to a Christmas or Winter read for the festive season. I need to have a bit of a think for this one...

message 2: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Just scrolled through my to read list and, as ever, there's loads I've been wanting to try!

I think Winter's Tale is going to be too long, as I'm currently a few books short of my GR reading challenge, but Ice, Snowdrops and Winter by Ali Smith, all look possible contenders. I just have to check what I can get from the library. What will you be reading?

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin Ice by Ulla-Lena Lundberg Snowdrops by A.D. Miller Winter by Ali Smith

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 420 comments I'm reading two Christmas murder mysteries in other groups: Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer and Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan. That will be more than enough Christmas for me!

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 16 comments I'm going to read 'The Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett, a jolly story where Santa is kidnapped and his place is taken by Death!

message 5: by Penny (new)

Penny Bradley | 6 comments I've been thinking of reading an Ali Smith book so I think I will join you, Liz, in reading Winter. I too need a couple of more books to end the year.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 810 comments I've recently finished Stir-up Sunday I think I finished it on the actual 'Stir-Up Sunday'. A little bit of spookiness in a Christmas story.

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
My copy of Snowdrops has become available at the library. I should be starting it very soon...

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 212 comments Peter wrote: "I'm going to read 'The Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett, a jolly story where Santa is kidnapped and his place is taken by Death!"

Me too just found a copy I was given ages ago on my bookshelf. Have you seen the TV adaptation?

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter | 16 comments I have completed The Hogfather and also read Ali Smith's Winter. Two very different but enjoyable books. Thanks to Liz and Penny for pointing me in the direction of Ali Smith.
In reply to Rachel, I haven't seen the TV adaptation of Hogfather, but have noticed it is on Sky 1 on Friday so have set it to record.

message 10: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Just about to start reading The Great Christmas Knit Off Should be fun. :)

message 11: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:51AM) (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Peter wrote: "I have completed The Hogfather and also read Ali Smith's Winter. Two very different but enjoyable books. Thanks to Liz and Penny for pointing me in the direction of Ali Smith.
In reply to Rachel, ..."

My copy of Winter has arrived from the library, but I have still to finish my current read: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - nothing to do with Christmas or winter, but I've been gradually making my way through the series, on my son's insistence...

I finished Snowdrops a few days ago. It was short-listed for the Booker, a few years ago and has mixed reviews, but I came down in favour. Yes, the characters are unlikeable and the pace is gradual, but I thought it was a highly effective tale of moral corruption and betrayal.

Winter by Ali Smith Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

message 12: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I’m reading Winter by Ali Smith too!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 212 comments Is it best to read Autumn before Winter ?

message 14: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Is it best to read Autumn before Winter ?"

Well, I'm launching in without having read the first one...

message 15: by Mercia (last edited Dec 18, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments I watched the David Suchet version of Hercules Poirot's Christmas and then read my long neglected ebook by Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2734 comments I finally found a Xmas / holiday season book so I can complete this challenge. A nice short mystery; Wrapped Up In Crosswords by Nero Blanc