Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

December - MUST READ BEFORE 2019 > Discussion: must read before 2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 01, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Man, 2018 has been quite a year (and we're not done with it yet!). Lots of things happened, but here in Wonderland, we stick to books. Here are a few questions about those books, but if something else is on your mind, feel free to share!

1. How has 2018 been for you, reading wise? Did you manage to complete your Goodreads-goal? Or did one of those damn reading slumps get in your way?
Somehow, 2018 became the year of books-series for me. After seeing them featured so often, I wanted to learn for myself what series like Daughter of Blood and Bone, The Broken Earth Trilogy, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children were about. Some of them turned out to be incredible, some of them...not so much, but reading them was a great journey.
Also, I finished the last book in the Jane Austen 'series' so I now have read all 6 of her novels (expect her novella's). Yay!

2. What book let you down this year?
The Silence of the Girls: this was one of my most anticipated books of this year, and it was such a disappointment. I was promised stories of the girls in the Trojan War, and I get only more tales of Greek male heroes. Boooooring.
And on the Young Adult level, Children of Blood and Bone, The Sun Is Also a Star and Dear Martin were real bummers.

3. Fireworks are usually a big part of new year celebration. Which books hit you like a bang this year?
Tin Man looked so innocent and lovely...and then it made me cry 3x on the train. Haha, surprise! 😈
Less cruel, but just as surprising was the amazingness of the The Divine Cities series (although the last book made me cry as well!), and I read some fantastic (and mature) middle-grade books this year: Goodbye Stranger, Raymie Nightingale and Ms Ice Sandwich.

By the way: fireworks freak me out, so although I like the colors, I prefer to stay indoors and watch through the glass.

4. End of the year means parties! (Christmas, New Years, office parties). If you would host a literary party, which fictional characters would you invite? Or which authors?
I would love to party with the crew of Much Ado About Nothing and Twelfth Night (seriously, Shakespeare's characters are wild and rowdy).
We could have Emma there for gossip and possible match-making, and maybe "The Ark" from I Was Born for This could preform. I would love to hear their music!

5. What important things or events happened to you this year?
I worked two internships this year - both at two wonderful, yet very different cultural organizations - where I learned a lot about myself and my own capabilities. I also applied to several masters, one where I am studying now (and very happy with it).
On the down side, our beloved dog Bisou passed away this year. The new year won't be the same with her :'(

6. What books stand on your 2019 TBR?
January and February already start good with The Winter of the Witch (gimme me! <3) and On the Come Up
Also, I want to read a book by each Brontë sister (and Anne is the only one left), so either I pick Agnes Grey or The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 2: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 38 comments 1. I've had some great reads in 2018. I don't do a Goodreads goal because I don't like pressure but I've got through a lot!

2. Uprooted wasn't all I had hoped for and neither was The Golem and the Jinni.

3. I'm not much for parties but I'd love a 1:1 chat with Neil Gaiman!

4. I love fireworks, but I'm wimpy when it's too cold!

5. Loss of a young cat that still hurts. :(

6. To go through my Kindle and sample all the accumulated free books and delete any that aren't up to scratch.

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 01, 2018 08:41AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Bridgett wrote: "1. I've had some great reads in 2018. I don't do a Goodreads goal because I don't like pressure but I've got through a lot!

2. Uprooted wasn't all I had hoped for and neither was [..."

Good decision Bridgett: if a goal gives you stress, don't make one. Just read what makes you happy :)

And upon my reread, "Uprooted" wasn't as great as I remembered, so that book let me down too. My library just got a copy of "Spinning Silver", so maybe that is better.

Btw, I updated the questions a bit, but your answers are already great. I would love to chat with Neil Gaiman too: his books aren't my favorite, but they are always so creative! My favorite graphic artist made a a great comic based on one of Gaiman's quotes: it really brings the message home :)

message 4: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I have to read Crazy Rich Asians before I go home for break this year, my father has read it and wants to watch the movie with me when I get to town. I've read the first few pages, and I'm in love with the style, so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to finish it soon.

message 5: by lucie (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:10AM) (new)

lucie (arey) 1. How has 2018 been for you, reading wise? Did you manage to complete your Goodreads-goal? Or did one of those damn reading slumps get in your way?
- In quantity of read books it was a great year and I completed my GR challenge already in April or June (I think). No reading slump for me, yayyy

- wow, how much time do we have? :D
And I Darken, The Cruel Prince, Blanca & Roja, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, Girls of Paper and Fire, The Kiss Quotient, A Court of Frost and Starlight

3. Fireworks are usually a big part of new year celebration. Which books hit you like a bang this year?
- The Scorpio Races, fawn (short novella but THE FEELS!!), Blood and Sand

4. End of the year means parties! (Christmas, New Years, office parties). If you would host a literary party, which fictional characters would you invite? Or which authors?
- i hate this question, Puck! :D There are so many characters and authors I'd love to spend some time but when someone asks me, I forget them all, lol.

- Nothing major happend to me this year.. I have a boring life, haha

- only one book!! Darkdawn

message 6: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments 1. How has 2018 been for you, reading wise? Did you manage to complete your Goodreads-goal? Or did one of those damn reading slumps get in your way? I'm on track to finish my reading challenge! The goal I set was a lot lower than my usual yearly amount since I knew I'd be really busy this year. Part of me was hoping I'd surge from behind and top 100, but I definitely won't. At least I'm making my goal, though!

2. What book let you down this year? I expected to adore The Princess Bride, but I found it pretty meh.

3. Fireworks are usually a big part of new year celebration. Which books hit you like a bang this year? Far and away, the big three of this year were Autoboyography, A Gentleman in Moscow, and The Secret History.

4. End of the year means parties! (Christmas, New Years, office parties). If you would host a literary party, which fictional characters would you invite? Or which authors? I'm going to agree with Puck and say the Much Ado About Nothing crew. Or maybe the dwarves from The Hobbit, the fellowship from The Lord of the Rings, or the elves from The Silmarillion. Or all of them at once!

5. What important things or events happened to you this year? Idk, man. I'm just very tired. I suppose something might have happened. But I don't have the energy to care anymore.

6. What books stand on your 2019 TBR? The next Blackthorn Key book is all I desire in this world.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "1. How has 2018 been for you, reading wise? Did you manage to complete your Goodreads-goal? Or did one of those damn reading slumps get in your way?
- In quantity of read books it was a great year ..."

Haha, great answers Lucie! Sorry to hear you had so many disappointments this year: hopefully you weren't too excited about them.

And to have so many good characters to party with sounds not like a bad thing: the more people, the merrier your feast! (and the more people to help you clean up afterwards ;)

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Ciampichini 1. How has 2018 been for you, reading wise? Did you manage to complete your Goodreads-goal? Or did one of those damn reading slumps get in your way?
It's been just another year, reading-wise, for me. I surpassed my Goodreads goal, but that's also because I listen to a lot of audiobooks driving to and from work. This year I did read more current/recent books than I normally do, but I also listened to a lot of audiobooks of books that I read as a child so it was also kind of nostalgic!

I'm going to echo Puck about Children of Blood and Bone. It had such great reviews, a stunning cover and even a movie deal, but it was just mediocre for me. Nothing I haven't really read before. I also read the A Wrinkle in Time series for the first time ever and I was disappointed. I expected more for such a revered book.

I'm totally fangirling over Sabaa Tahir's Ember series right now so I'd have to go with A Reaper at the Gates which I had been waiting on for the last two years! I love the way she tortures her characters and they end up just being so strong and badass. Notable mentions are Wuthering Heights, Strange the Dreamer/Muse of Nightmares, Jane Eyre, All the Light We Cannot See, then Zahrah the Windseeker and Aru Shah and the End of Time for middle grade.

This is really hard but I'd probably invite the cast of characters from Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series. They're so quirky and I feel like the party would be anything but boring.

I bought a house with my boyfriend this year! It's expensive and a lot of work, but we're glad to have our own place!

Nothing in particular planned for 2019, but while moving over the summer I donated a lot of old books and I still have some that have been sitting on my shelf for the past few years that I want to knock out. Trying to only keep the ones I REALLY like.