Reading 1001 discussion

Past TBR lists > 2019 TBR Takedown

Comments Showing 1-50 of 323 (323 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3821 comments Mod
It's time to post our TBR Takedown list for the second year.

1. You create a numbered list of 24 1001 list books that have been languishing on your self.

2. Post your list before Dec 31 in a personal thread in this folder.

3. At the end of each month the randomizer will select the book for the upcoming month. Note that not all 24 books will be selected so you will be reading half the books on your list. ie; on December 31, 2018 a moderator will announce the number for January 2019.

4. Read and review your selected book each month to rack up the participation points. Books must be completed and reviewed before the end of the month to earn the points. You may start reading 12:01 am where ever you are.

5. On June 1, each member will be allowed to substitute out 6 unselected books on their list for 6 new TBR books (if desired) or you can keep the list the same. If one of your TBR books is selected as BOTM, you will be allowed to substitute it for a new TBR book. No other substitutions will be allowed after Jan 1, 2019.

6. You can NOT read books ahead of being selected AND get the points for it. You have to wait or if it is selected. Otherwise, you will only get 1 point and your cumulative score will be broken and you will need to start at the beginning.

Scoring:
1 point each for reading 1st and 2nd book
2 points each for 3rd and 4th book
3 points each for 5th and 6th book
4 points each for 7th and 8th book
5 points each for books 9-12

NOTE: Scoring is cumulative so if you miss a month, you'll have to start over with the scoring points.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 556 comments Thank you for repeating this challenge- I love this idea!

message 3: by Daisey (new)

Daisey | 222 comments I loved this challenge as well and am so glad we're doing it again! I'll start working on my list.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this challenge so thanks for bringing it back.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments So glad you are doing this again! I, too, loved it.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1304 comments It was my favourite, too. So pleased we are doing it again.

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1192 comments Agreed. This was my favorite also. I am however, going to take a bit more care with my 2019 list.

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 411 comments Yes! I am going to cut back on challenges next year, but this is one that I definitely want to do.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Shuva wrote: "I really wanted to do this in 2018 but couldn't. I don't think I read even one book for this challenge.
Is it ok to put the same list again this year, seeing as how I haven't read any of them?"

Absolutely!!!

message 10: by Emu (new)

Emu | 18 comments I'll be trying again in 2019 - I love the idea and the concept. Hopefully, I'll have better time for reading in the new year than I had this year.

message 11: by 1001shelf (new)

1001shelf | 1051 comments Mod
The # for January it is posted so you can start at Midnight or if you all ready are in 2019, go for it.
Which book will you be reading?

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 503 comments My #7 is Quicksand. I purposefully picked short-ish(!) books for this challenge as an incentive to squeeze them in.

message 13: by 1001shelf (new)

1001shelf | 1051 comments Mod
PS, no one can change their TBR takedown now as we have posted the first book for 2019.

message 14: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Number 7 is Little Women for me, that sure should make for a nice start in 2019.

@Valerie, I read Quicksand as part of my TBR challenge last year, it was excellent. Enjoy!

Happy New Year everyone, hope you all have a nice celebration tonight :)

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 556 comments The Museum of Unconditional Surrender. I’m excited to read this- I’ve heard great things about the author.

message 16: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments My #7 is Perfume. I’m glad it’s a short one because my book for PBT Trim the TBR is a chunkster.

message 17: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments My #7 is Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin. It will be my first Baldwin.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
I am starting the year off with a great book, The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I am so happy that one leftover from last year was picked. Happy reading.

message 19: by Kristel (new)

My #7 is A Severed Head, this might be a hard start for me. I love Iris Murdoch but she is an author that you want to read slowly.

message 20: by Kristel (new)

Chili wrote: "My #7 is Perfume. I’m glad it’s a short one because my book for PBT Trim the TBR is a chunkster."

Perfume is good. I decided I could not do the PBT Trim because it is just too much obligation. I am already overwhelmed. I do a TBRCAT and a ROOT challenge on LT and they are basically all the same thing. But LT challenges are more flexible.

message 21: by Kristel (new)

Dree wrote: "My #7 is Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin. It will be my first Baldwin."

I read Giovanni's Room this year and really liked it. Hope you enjoy.

message 22: by Gina (new)

Gina Andrews | 58 comments My #7 is Billy Budd. I posted my list after it was already chosen, but I didn't realize it. With a 7 month old grandson in the house, these are probably the only books I will be able to read this year since I chose all audiobooks. But at least I will be trimming my list a little.

message 23: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1818 comments Mod
My #7 is Look Homeward Angel I am really excited about this one as it ties in with my reading of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. Well it ties in, in my mind, because it was mentioned in the last book The Wolves of the Calla.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments What is PBT?

My #7 is Cakes and Ale. So far I have loved both Maugham books I have read so hopefully that will continue.

message 25: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments Kelly wrote: "What is PBT?

My #7 is Cakes and Ale. So far I have loved both Maugham books I have read so hopefully that will continue."

PBT is Play Book Tag a group here on Goodreads. Each month has a tag(January action-adventure) and you read and review books that fit the tag.

message 27: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1304 comments #7 is Freedom, Jonathan Franzen, not a short book, but one I want to read.

message 28: by Kristel (new)

Pip wrote: "#7 is Freedom, Jonathan Franzen, not a short book, but one I want to read."
I liked Freedom, hope you enjoy it.

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 221 comments #7 The Manor by Isaac Bashevis Singer

message 30: by Jen (new)

message 31: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 159 comments My # 7 is pepita Jimenez. Has anyone read this?

message 32: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 411 comments Number 7 is for me The French Lieutenant’s Woman. It’s a book I don’t know much about, just the title has been floating around for years and I found a copy in a second hand store last year.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Shuva wrote: "My number 7 is The Feast of the Goat"

Shuva, I hope to read this one soon. I look forward to your thoughts!

message 34: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1192 comments #7 is Paradise of the Blind for me. I am looking forward to the read

message 35: by Emu (new)

Emu | 18 comments My # 7 is The Sense of an Ending so a short book for me.

message 36: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments I loved the Sense of an Ending, Emu. Hope you do too!

message 37: by Emu (new)

Emu | 18 comments Hilde wrote: "I loved the Sense of an Ending, Emu. Hope you do too!"

So far it seems good - I'm not that far into it yet, though.

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 424 comments Looks like I am reading At Swim, Two Boys. I've got Freedom on my library stack, and I loved the play I saw of The French Lieutenant's Woman, so I plan to read that one soonish too. The Sense of an Ending and The Manor were both great. I read a new edition of The Manor, actually, The Manor & The Estate by Isaac Bashevis Singer , a new translation which included the second half of the original language novel, which had been split in the older English editions into The Estate. I recommend the new version if you are up for a longer read, as it is more satisfying than just the Manor by itself.

message 39: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments So, between moving and Christmas and a bunch of health stuff, I didn’t have the chance to make a list in December. I didn’t read #7 on last year’s list, so would it be okay if I use that for my January TBR and then I can generate the rest of the list for the rest of the year?

message 40: by Kristel (new)

Chinook wrote: "So, between moving and Christmas and a bunch of health stuff, I didn’t have the chance to make a list in December. I didn’t read #7 on last year’s list, so would it be okay if I use that for my Jan..."

Let me think about that. I will check with Book and see what she says. In the mean time, make your list for February on so that you are ready for the next book selection.

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 503 comments Well, I finished my January TBR pick! Yay - one down!

Reviewed here in post #9:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 42: by Kristel (new)

February book has been posted. My #15 is A Tale of a Tub.

message 43: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 273 comments Mine number 15 is A Clockwork Orange. I am not sure about that one...

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 503 comments Mine is A Visit from the Goon Squad. I've had that on my list for a long time. I found it on audio, so I may listen to it in Feb.

message 45: by Kristel (last edited Jan 31, 2019 07:57AM) (new)

Valerie, Goon Squad is a book that has to be seen due to structure style. So get the book to look at if you listen.

Tatjana, clockwork orange is good though made up dialect is a challenge. The audio is good.

message 46: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 556 comments Fifteen is Heart of Redness for me. I’m finally getting it off the shelf!

message 47: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 411 comments My 15 is Vathek
A short book for a short month.

message 48: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 503 comments Kristel wrote: "Valerie, Goon Squad is a book that has to be seen due to structure style. So get the book to look at if you listen.

Tatjana, clockwork orange is good though made up dialect is a challenge. The au..."

Thanks for the advice! I initially looked to the audio version because the copy that is available on our library's Overdrive system has an estimated wait (for holds) of 6 months!! However, I have found out they have a paper copy that is available.

message 49: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 221 comments 15. Brideshead Revisited by Waugh

I failed January (but I enjoyed myself reading a lot of fun and interesting off-list books), hopefully I'll do better in February.

message 50: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1192 comments The Things They Carried is #15 for me. It has been on the shelf for a long time now.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7