Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

December - MUST READ BEFORE 2019 > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the books you're currently reading before 2019 begins. Are you enjoying them? Will they end up in your top-10 of 2018 books?

message 2: by Lexy (new)

Lexy | 7 comments I was trying to finish the raven cycle series before the end of the year. It has been on my list for WAY too long. I absolutely loved The Raven Boys, but am having a seriously hard time getting through Dream Thieves. I don’t find Ronan a character that’s easy to connect with so i find myself distracted. His chapters at least lend to the story line so I can push through! BUT.... The Gray Man... ugh! .... every time I get to his chapters I end up putting the book down and stop reading to try again later (which ends up sometimes a few days later)! I am unsure what to do! Any of you out there have any advice? I’ve been reading it for about 2 weeks and am only at page 187... should I keep going, is it worth it?

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Lexy wrote: "I was trying to finish the raven cycle series before the end of the year. It has been on my list for WAY too long. I absolutely loved The Raven Boys, but am having a seriously hard time getting thr..."

I was reading this in October and I had to put it down as well. I'm not sure if I'll pick it up again...

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Lexy wrote: "I was trying to finish the raven cycle series before the end of the year. It has been on my list for WAY too long. I absolutely loved The Raven Boys, but am having a seriously hard time getting thr..."

Personally The Dream Thieves is my favorite books of the series, so I say finish it! (and just skip the Grey Man's chapters, he isn't that important to the storyline anyway).
Ronan's storyline and his powers prove quite central to book 3 and 4, so I suppose...it's a book you will have to bite through if you want to understand the rest of the series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I just finished Station Zero, the last book in the Railhead series by Philip Reeve. It's a good finale to a wonderful series (about sentient trains traveling through space!), but I read book 1 in 2016, book 2 in 2017, and now finally book 3, so thanks to that time-gap, the build-up to this finale didn't hit me as hard. :-\

On another note, I got The Kiss Quotient from the library so I can soon start with the buddy-read: yay!

message 6: by Lexy (new)

Lexy | 7 comments Puck wrote: "Lexy wrote: "I was trying to finish the raven cycle series before the end of the year. It has been on my list for WAY too long. I absolutely loved The Raven Boys, but am having a seriously hard tim..."
Ok, thanks! I'm trudging along! I tried to skip the Gray Man chapter but felt like I was cheating. So I have decided to more skim through them. Trying...have 130 pages left! I'm glad you said it's good, I really want to continue on and see how it ends for all these characters!

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Ciampichini Just finished reading Brave Enough. A writer friend of mine knows the author and I wanted to support her since it's her first book. It's about 17-year-old ballet dancer who gets cancer and can no longer dance. While in the hospital, she's gets close to a guy who survived cancer but now struggles with drug addiction. I don't gravitate towards touchy feely books but this one was pretty good. The author drew on her own experiences with cancer and disability when she was a child and it just feels so authentic.

nidah05 (SleepDreamWrite) | 207 comments Currently reading Hunting Ground and I'm liking it so far, especially the characters of Charles and Anna and their relationship. Love the series and the Mercy series too.

Been trying to read one series at a time instead of just reading one book from one series then one book from another series, etc.

message 9: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 38 comments Currently reading Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures and Ice Massacre and enjoying both.

message 10: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Bridgett wrote: "Currently reading Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures and Ice Massacre and enjoying both."

I've heard great things about Ice Massacre: killer mermaids, lady warriors fighting them, and oops, they fall in love...Sounds sweet and badass at the same time, haha!

And somehow, winter seems like the perfect time to read about space. With the evenings starting faster, the stars come out quicker. And of course, the stars in the Christmas tree :)

message 11: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 38 comments That about sums up Ice Massacre. I'm enjoying it a lot.

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natalie wrote: "Just finished reading Brave Enough. A writer friend of mine knows the author and I wanted to support her since it's her first book. It's about 17-year-old ballet dancer who gets can..."

That sounds like quite a heavy story Natalie, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this out-of-your-comfort-zone book. And good for you to supporting beginning authors: sending your baby out in the world must be nerve-racking!

What's more in your TBR?

message 13: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 10, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) wrote: "Currently reading Hunting Ground and I'm liking it so far, especially the characters of Charles and Anna and their relationship. Love the series and the Mercy series too.

Been tryi..."

Yeah, that does sound smart Nidah: I just read the finale to a great sci-fi series, but because I read the first book in 2016, the second in 2017 and the third only this year, a lot of info was fallen away 😅
But I read quite some series this year, and in my experience, the rush of the adventures hits the hardest once you read the books one after another.

message 14: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 10, 2018 03:26AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I started The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare this weekend, which I saved especially for this month, and although I had heard about Leontes' accusations, I had no idea how brutal he would be!
Dragging his pregnant wife into prison, saying he wants to burn his baby, not caring how his son deals with that shock...no wonder Paulina wants to rip him a new one. (Paulina is awesome and I want to cheer whenever she says a line).

message 15: by Ashley Marie (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:44AM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments Ahhh Ice Massacre is such a good book! I need to get back to the rest of that series.

I'm still plugging along with Dominion, which leaves little time for Black Wolves as of yet, and I picked up Antigone for a reread on a whim last night. Dominion is excellent but I'm wondering how it will all end. Thus far it's a pretty solid 4-star read.

Antigone is one I haven't read since college; I remember loving it. Currently listening to The Song of Achilles and it's sending me down a rabbit hole of Greek tragedy, which I don't mind; I've been meaning to read things like Euripides' Medea for ages now.

As far as finished: Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg was excellent, as was Victory of Eagles -- if anyone's looking for a good historical book with dragons (or a dragon book and don't mind the inclusion of history), Temeraire is a fantastic series.

message 16: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 38 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Ahhh Ice Massacre is such a good book! I need to get back to the rest of that series.
"

It really is! I seem to be reading several good books at the moment.

message 17: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Ahhh Ice Massacre is such a good book! I need to get back to the rest of that series.

I'm still plugging along with Dominion, which leaves little time for [book:Black Wolves|209806..."

Oh ho, Antigone and Medea! Two good plays about two powerful woman, although each in their own way.
I remember seeing a production of Medea years and it was incredible - not only the actress playing Medea, but also the stage itself. They had these mirrors on the roof, so whenever they looked up to the 'Gods', we could see them (making the audience the gods). You can see it here in the trailer of the play.

And I love the Temeraire series! I have so far only read books 1 and 2, but who doesn't like reading about badass dragons who love fighting Napoleon and reading books? :D

message 18: by Ashley Marie (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments Puck, that sounds AMAZING. Such an innovative use of the stage!

Watching the trailer and wishing I could understand Dutch. Looks awesome!

...I also want a retelling of Medusa where she's not the villain. Pls someone write this for me.

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Sleeping Giants - I think it was Puck who talked about this a while ago? I've been feeling very slumpy lately, but the interview format makes it easier to get through. I have no idea what's going on, so I'm very curious!

message 20: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments Inge wrote: "I'm currently reading Sleeping Giants - I think it was Puck who talked about this a while ago? I've been feeling very slumpy lately, but the interview format makes it easier to get ..."

I've had this one for ages and still have yet to read it. Keeping an eye out for your review, Inge!

message 21: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I'm currently reading Sleeping Giants - I think it was Puck who talked about this a while ago? I've been feeling very slumpy lately, but the interview format makes it easier to get ..."

Oooh, I hope you like it Inge! I read the whole 'Sleeping Giants' series this year and I really enjoyed it: especially the second book is just an action-packed thrilling story.

And while I do think it's hard to paint Medea not as a villain Ashley - I mean, she does kill her children - to me, her actions always had something tragic to it.
In my Dutch mythology book, Jason was presented as being just as flawed as Medea: always raised to be the perfect soldier, he had no idea how to deal with emotions and women. Their marriage worked in war-times, but in peace, Jason and Medea were pretty toxic to another. And so when he wanted to ditch Medea for another...well, something had to snap.

Ugh, such a fascinating story! I remember returning from the play with my mom shaking with awe: the performance was so powerful.

message 22: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Dec 21, 2018 03:02AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Also, I'm sure it's the season, but I've been seeing A Christmas Carol everywhere now on Goodreads and Bookstagram.
So I was at the library, and guess what I got? ;)

I remember the story from the Disney movie - the scene with Christmas future was terrifying for small me - and I performed the story for our Christmas musical when I was 8 (I played Martha). Can't wait to revisit the story again! 🙋

message 23: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm currently reading Sleeping Giants - I think it was Puck who talked about this a while ago? I've been feeling very slumpy lately, but the interview format makes it e..."

Oh no, I wouldn't want a Medea retelling at least until I've read Euripides (here shortly, I hope).

Medea's and Medusa's names really are too similar for their own good, lol

message 24: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 38 comments Puck wrote: "Also, I'm sure it's the season, but I've been seeing A Christmas Carol everywhere now on Goodreads and Bookstagram.

I remember the..."

Are you saying you've never read the original before? It's very worth it!

message 25: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Bridgett wrote: "Puck wrote: "Also, I'm sure it's the season, but I've been seeing A Christmas Carol everywhere now on Goodreads and Bookstagram.

I..."

You're right Bridgett: reading the original was really worth it! Scrooge's emotional journey is more emotional, and the spirits much spookier and frightening. I'm glad I read it :)