Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

“Buddy Read” > Wanted: Romance that's geared equally to male readers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kody (new)

Kody | 6 comments Hello, I'd like to start by saying I'm new to the group, I'm male, I'm straight, and I've recently become a closet romance reading fanatic. I'm always on the prowl for new recommendations of romance novels and series, so feel free to drop your favorite recommendations. All are welcome, though if I'm being picky then I'm not partial to historical romance and would rather stick with the romantically inclined contemporary or urban paranormal.

IF YOU WANT A CHALLENGE HOWEVER, I do have a request for a few different kinds of unconventional romance if anyone is willing to join in on the quest and help me look, or recommend from their own experience. To make this easier for others who come on the discussion and are interested in my specific requests I'm going to try something a little unconventional. But let me list what I'm looking for and you decide which ones you think you can help with and I'll explain what to do from there.

CATEGORY 1: I love reading romance, but I'm always a little disappointed when the book ends and I never hear more of the couple. I don't just want to read about how a couple comes together, I want to read about what happens after they're together. What's the married life like, what's parenthood like, and all the other ups and downs of a strong relationship. Does anybody have some recommendations for a good romance series where the main hero and the heroine become a couple in the first book (or at the very least second) and stay together (or mostly stays together) through out the entire series. Ex. Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost The Grunt 1 (The Lonely Hearts, #3) by Latrivia S. Nelson God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe

CATEGORY 2: I find that romance with first person duel perspectives (meaning each chapter cycles from the male point of view to the female's point of view) to be particularly entertaining as it gives me a point of view to relate to, while also helping me understand what the female is thinking. Helps my feeble male mind keep up with all the romantic nuances. Not to mention that I've yet to find a duel perspective audio book that I didn't enjoy. Did I mention how much I love a good audio book? Anyways does anyone have any good recommendations? Ex. Just like That by Nicola Rendell Rival (Fall Away, #2) by Penelope Douglas

CATEGORY 3: Extraordinary females unconventionally falling for males that that shouldn't be in the female's league financially or socially. For example: rich woman falling for a middle class civilian male. Famous woman falling for the average Joe (obviously there's more to him) Ex. The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1) by Helen Hoang Driftwood Rooted (Driftwood #2) by Victoria Kristine

CATEGORY 4: This one is similar to CATEGORY 3, but has more to do with the Woman's physical capabilities rather than her financial status. Basically I'm looking for scenarios where the woman is the combative type in the relationship while the male is either non-combative or less adept as his partner Example: Female Crime Boss/assassin/cop falling for civilian male, supernatural female falling for human male, Female cop falling for human male. For the record this isn't the same as looking for a beta male. I don't care who is dominant in the relationship, but I dislike submissive characters no matter the gender. Ex. God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3) by Jennifer Ashley Sunrise at Sunset Revamped (Sunset Vampire #1) by Jaz Primo

CATEGORY 5: This one is just a list of romance scenarios I categorize as EXTREMELY RARE but would really like to read a novel based on the scenario. Seriously if you know a book that falls under this list post it on this discussion and email me while your at it. The list includes: A) Female soldier falling for a civilian male. This is something I find ridiculous because it happens all the time in real life, but there is not a single romance (that i can find) based on this scenario. Hell there's not even a country song about this and that's just crazy. I shed a tear for all my fellow female soldiers everywhere. B) Female criminal (assassin, crime boss, mafia family, etc) falling for a law abiding male. There's a ton of the reverse scenario, but it's like female criminals don't exist in romantic literature outside of the over used "cat burglar". C) Male author writing romance from first person duel perspective. I have no examples of these scenarios.

If you have made it this far then I applaud your dedication. I know was a lot to read for a casual discussion. Anyways earlier I said I wanted to try something new. Basically what I want is for everyone interested to list their favorite romance novel/series regardless of what category it falls under if any at all and put it at the top of your post. If your favorite does fall under a category list which categories next to it's cover. For Example:

God Touched God Touched CATEGORY 3, CATEGORY 4

After listing your most highly recommended romance, I want you to look at each category and think of books you have read or heard about that should be included in the category. For example

Category 1: Sunrise at Sunset: Revamped Sunrise at Sunset: Revamped

Category 2: Just like that Just like That by Nicola Rendell

Etc....

I know this is a lot, but I think if everyone contributes, I think we might start a pretty interesting list of unconventional romance recommendation. For all genders.

message 2: by Kody (new)

Kody | 6 comments I just wanna point out that books 2 - 4 of the Winston brothers series (which are the ones i've read so far) fall under category 3 and category 2. For anyone viewing this discussion and looking for a good Cat 3 or Cat 2 series, I recommend looking into them.

Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers, #2) by Penny Reid Couple: Park ranger x Famous actor
Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3) by Penny Reid Couple: Auto mechanic x Local celebrity and famous cooking icon
Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4) by Penny Reid Couple: Auto mechanic x World Famous artist

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I'm intrigued with your Category 5 - Female soldier falling for civilian male. I've racked my brain and I can't come up with any either and I've read a lot of romance and romantic-suspense. That would make a great combo.

message 4: by Kody (last edited Dec 26, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Kody | 6 comments Anita wrote: "I'm intrigued with your Category 5 - Female soldier falling for civilian male. I've racked my brain and I can't come up with any either and I've read a lot of romance and romantic-suspense. That wo..."

I know right? I did find one book where an FBI undercover agent (female) and a veterinarian (male) fall for each other. Dr. Strange Beard (Winston Brothers, #5) by Penny Reid but thats the closest ive come to a cat 5 or a non supernatural cat 4

message 5: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae There is a Susan Stoker where a female deputy saves a cowboy. I liked that one because often she forgets all her training and has to be saved by the hero. Justice for Boone It is #6, but they only tie together because the characters all know each other. Romantic Suspense, more romance than suspense.

I am assuming that there will be romance but it is slow burn as there are sparks at the end of book #1 Killing Trail he is a vet and she is a deputy. She has a K9 partner and I am a sucker for a working dog. Mystery with hopefully romance to come.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I've read both Penny Reid and Susan Stoker and liked them both. Thanks for suggestions.

message 7: by Kody (new)

Kody | 6 comments Loriidae wrote: "There is a Susan Stoker where a female deputy saves a cowboy. I liked that one because often she forgets all her training and has to be saved by the hero. Justice for Boone It is #6..."

I've never heard of Susan Stoker till now. Based on the description of justice for boone, it sounds like my kind of read. I'm definitely looking into it.

message 8: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments A couple of really good series are Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews and Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs. They're both slow burn, meaning the hero and heroine don't get together until the third or fourth books, both are from the heroine's POV. Although Ilona Andrews has published several scenes from the hero's POV and Patricia Briggs has started including chapters in the hero's POV in the later books in the series.

message 9: by Kody (new)

Kody | 6 comments Gisela wrote: "A couple of really good series are Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews and Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs. They're both slow burn, meaning the hero and heroine don't get..."

I couldn't get into the kate daniels series, but i did really enjoy mercy tompson and the side story alpha and omega. Thank for the recs though. For anyone else looking those will be good series. Stop by again if you think of any others

message 10: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae I have heard several people including myself say you need to give KD 3 books before you become invested in the series.

Also The Hidden Legacy series is totally different to KD and a lighter read, and well worth a look. Slow burn as well. Burn for Me

message 11: by Kody (new)

Kody | 6 comments Loriidae wrote: "I have heard several people including myself say you need to give KD 3 books before you become invested in the series.

Also The Hidden Legacy series is totally different to KD and a lighter read,..."

well I'll give it a shot since i finished the first book at some point ill check out the next 2. in the mean time however here's some new recs for anyone looking.

The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston this would be a cat 3, but i seriously hate that kind of male hero, but the series is seriously good. Particularly when bears are involved.

Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly Laurenston this would be a cat 4.

message 12: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae I officially withdraw Killing Trail from this thread as having now read the first three books the romance is so lacklustre, they could have been left as platonic good friends, and the story wouldn't change much. The dog is gorgeous! And the mysteries average to good.