This topic is about Gilead
2018 Book of the Month > December 2018 Gilead

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Been wanting to read this one for ages!

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat | 4 comments I read this novel some years ago and loved it. I remember especially the narrator pondering laughter, and what a gift it is, and what an interesting part of our makeup.

The novel is interesting in that it asks us to accept a situation which many of us (including myself) often condemn: a relationship between an aging man and a very young woman. Yet I hardly thought about that during the course of the novel--the narrator's humility, and the vividness of his thoughts and prayers, took up all my attention.

message 4: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Yes I need to crack on with it as it’s been sitting on the shelf a while. Interesting thoughts Kat.... I ll have to let you know what I think !

message 5: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val There is a big age difference between John and Lila, thirty-five years. I think it is because the author wanted to make him an ageing father, not a younger one dying of some incurable disease, so that there were not too many generations between the Civil War and the present of the book. She could not really make Lila much older, or she would have been unlikely to have a child.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat | 4 comments Val wrote: "There is a big age difference between John and Lila, thirty-five years. I think it is because the author wanted to make him an ageing father, not a younger one dying of some incurable disease, so t..."

That's a pragmatic view of things! You could well be right.

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val On a less pragmatic note, there is a lot to like about Rev. John Ames, particularly the way he takes joy in small things and also his self-examination and desire to forgive. He is not a firebrand preacher stirring his congregation up for a cause like his grandfather, but I think he does the pastoral care part of his ministry well and he has helped people through a lot of hardship. (There are times when he thinks he should have stirred things up a bit more.)

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat | 4 comments Yes. I think his joy in small things had a special impact on me. I also appreciated his humility, a trait often misunderstood in our age, that can lead to such peacefulness of heart.

message 9: by Val (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Somebody else loves this book:
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2015...
(You have to subscribe to see the whole article unfortunately, but even the free bit at the beginning is worth reading.)

message 10: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Turns out I was wrong. I have Gilead not this one so have to wait for it to come

Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gilead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marilynne Robinson (other topics)