Play Book Tag discussion

The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
This topic is about The Blue Girl
Archive: Other Books > The Blue Girl / Charles de Lint. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8919 comments Imogene ran with a bad crowd in her last school, but when she, her mother, and her brother move to Newford, she meets a girl, Maxine, who gets picked on and they become best friends. Imogene decides she’ll try to be straight and narrow. At the same time, she is no stranger to standing up for herself against the school bullies – in this case the head cheerleader and her football-playing boyfriend. When Adrian sees this from a distance, he falls for Imogene. But, Adrian is a ghost… with friends who are fairies. When he actually meets Imogene, he manages to get her into something dangerous. In the meantime, Imogene’s childhood imaginary friend, Pelly, shows up, but there’s something different about him.

I don’t believe any of my summary is a spoiler. It’s all on the blurb on the back of the book, and it’s all revealed very early on in the book. I really liked this! I do love the references to other characters in some of de Lint’s other Newford books, as well. The viewpoint changes between Imogene, Maxine, and Adrian, and a bit of back and forth in time, but you are told at the beginning of each chapter whose POV you are following and when, so I didn’t find it too tricky to follow. I would love to read more from Newford, but always hard to choose which one next!

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1433 comments I have been wanting to read this one, but then I think maybe I should read the Newford books in publication order.

LibraryCin | 8919 comments Cora wrote: "I have been wanting to read this one, but then I think maybe I should read the Newford books in publication order."

I've not been reading them in order, but I"m guessing one would notice more of the characters that come from one book into the next if you read them in order.

Have you not read any of them, Cora?

I think I've rated this one, Little (Grrl) Lost, and Memory and Dream the highest of the Newford books I've read so far. "Memory and Dream is the one adult book of the three, whereas the other two are YA (going from memory here!).

LibraryCin | 8919 comments "Little Grrl Lost" was my very first de Lint book, ever. That was the first month (or 2nd) of Author Author on shelfari.

message 5: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1433 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Cora wrote: "I have been wanting to read this one, but then I think maybe I should read the Newford books in publication order."

I've not been reading them in order, but I"m guessing one would not..."

I have read a bunch of his short stories in various anthologies, many of them were set in Newford. I did read The Wind in His Heart, which is his newest one. It did have a couple characters from Newford, but most of the story was outside of Newford. I read his novella, Riding Shotgun when he was the Author Author pick.

LibraryCin | 8919 comments I'm trying to remember - was it you who chose de Lint for Author Author?

message 7: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1433 comments Yes, that was me.