Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive [General] > What are you reading December 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Share what you are reading this month! :)

message 2: by Shae (new)

Shae | 372 comments This month, as the school year winds down, I'm doing a bunch of BR's with my kids :-)

Just finished reading 'The Iron Flower' (Forest) with my daughter - she loved it, I thought it was ok :-)

Currently reading 'Wundersmith' (Townsend) with my son - we're both loving this. If you need to find books for any 8 to 12 yr olds this Christmas, I don't think you can go wrong with this series :-)

About to start 'Kingdom of Ash' (Maas) with my daughter. I suspect this will be another read that she loves and I will enjoy her enjoyment of it, more so than the actual book itself :-)

message 3: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2475 comments My only BR:
The Amulet of Samarkand

In progress:
Skyward (I caved :D)
Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People

Otherwise, I'm going to try and progress more of my in progress series. Likely candidates (but subject to change):
The Last Continent
Night Watch
Magic Slays
We Wish You a Murderous Christmas

And something else on audio. I have 3 I'm looking at and haven't quite decided yet.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 8 comments Just finished "Before I Burn" by Gaute Heivoll.

Read my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I worked hard on it! Hope you like it!

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "Just finished "Before I Burn" by Gaute Heivoll.

Read my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I worked hard on it! Hope you like it!"

Posting once is sufficient... otherwise we might think you're spamming. ;)

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
This month I have ambition to finish out the Powder Mage trilogy (McClellan) and the Edge Series (Andrews). Then I hope to get caught up with some of the more prominent new releases I've missed (like finishing Skyward.. and the new Brandon Mull). :)

Oooh! And I'm also loving Stardoc even though I'm only about 30 pages in. :)

message 7: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3882 comments Buddy read: The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter
Book club: Reread of Theft of Swords
Other: Dark Minds
Courting Scandal

Not sure about anything else yet.

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1713 comments Finished Skyward on Dec 1. So technically a December read :)

Currently reading -
The Consuming Fire

and The Bonehunters

also have Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You out from the library.

Probably enough for the month. technically I started - Firefly: Big Damn Hero, but it's on the backburner. (Mostly want to have a clean slate for start of competition on Jan 1

message 9: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm reading Excel shenanigans co-authored by Rob, Iain, Anni and myself. Highly entertaining, if a little weird.

message 10: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Virginie wrote: "I'm reading Excel shenanigans co-authored by Rob, Iain, Anni and myself. Highly entertaining, if a little weird."

I thought that was a real book for a second... 3hrs fiddling around on the Spreadsheet with you guys put a serious damper on finishing Riyria Chronicles #4 this morning, and starting King of the Road, like I had planned...

message 11: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Hey, I didn't even read my daily short story...

message 12: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3685 comments The Brotherhood of the Wheel - Re-listened to it & it was just as awesome as I remembered from last year.

King of the Road - Gobbled it up as soon as I got my audio and it was great! I'm going to read the hardback and blab about it in the BR with Iain.

The Red Knight - Despite rough POV switches & awkward progression, I really liked the book by the end and can't wait to get more of the Captain's story! Solid action, odd magic, feels like alt Europe vs created medieval setting & good character build.

Vicious & Jed Had to Die ended up being exactly what I thought they would be and that was nice. 1st one was a darker romance & the second was a humorous goof.

I signed up for the end of the year reading challenge. My plan for December is to quit/stay away from books that I want to yell at for being To Stupid To Live. I had a few reading slumps & not eager to have another one right at the end of the year due to meh/bad books. But the challenge has me reading books that I may not have picked or finished this month & I feel a bit conflicted about that.

Nevernight was great! I'm glad I own both hardback & audio because the first 20% is confusing to just "listen" to but I ended up really liking the story. Vivid & frank take on violence & sex. I'm glad I bought Nevernight & Godsgrave on a whim and looking forward to reading Godsgrave for the BR.

Whiskey Sour & You Slay Me have great narrators! Whiskey Sour was a great 90's vibe cop story with humor. You Slay Me had such a batty heroine that I just wanted to smack her upside the head for being TSTL.

Currently trying to fill the "O" slot for the challenge and listening to Otherlife Dreams: The Selfless Hero Trilogy. I am underwhelmed by the simple plot and harem build of this LitRPG. I may go for another "O" book because I have options that are better than this one to put in that spot. =P

message 14: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1713 comments Virginie wrote: "I'm reading Excel shenanigans co-authored by Rob, Iain, Anni and myself. Highly entertaining, if a little weird."

I've read that too. 5 stars!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.