Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tigana [Feb 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay.
February 25th.

message 3: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Spot

message 5: by Kathrine (new) - added it

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'll see if I can't get my hands on a copy, I really wanna join this

Anny | 241 comments I'm in too

message 7: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments I'm in for this one!

Andrew | 653 comments Sweet! I was planning on reading this one soon, so I will definitely hold off a couple more months in order to BR it with all of you. It's been a while since I've read some GGK

message 9: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Looks like a big BR :)

message 10: by Gazi (new) - added it

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments In.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian | 982 comments In

message 12: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Brilliant I must have been blind anyway I'm on bored

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments I love this book. One of my best buddy reads up to date. Enjoy!

message 14: by Silvana (last edited Feb 10, 2019 03:35AM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Apparently there is already a folder for all Kay books. Can one of the mods move this one there?

edit: I put a request using the google form. Should have thought about it first :D

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Moved to Kay folder. :)

message 16: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments In~
Tigana

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Considering all the hype around the GGK-Squad in 2017/2018, of course there's a lot of interest ;)

Andrew | 653 comments Only a couple more days and then it's GGK time! I'm excited. Hard to believe, but it's been over a year since I've read a Kay book.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments This will be my fist GGK book. I'm quite nervous lol

Narilka | 2629 comments This will be my first GGK book too :)

Andrew | 653 comments I think this will be my 8th. I'm definitely a GGK fanboy

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian | 982 comments I’m on the fence if I should read this one. So many BR starting this one might get cut. Never read GK before. Is he good?

message 23: by Silvana (last edited Feb 23, 2019 06:16PM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments This is my second, I hated the first one (Summer Tree) but all my friends said Tigana is one of his best so I am willing to give him a second chance.

Andrew | 653 comments Brian: Most of the GGK books I've read are fantastic! The exception to that is his Fionvar Tapestry trilogy, which is mediocre at best. Fionvar is also a really different style than the rest of his works. I think he was still finding his voice when he wrote that series.

Silvana: Don't judge GGK by Summer Tree, which is part of his worst work (Fionvar Tapestry). Everything else I've read from him has been so much better!

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian | 982 comments Hmmm..thanks. Now you've made it even harder to decide. LOL Maybe I'll try on audio

message 26: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Andrew wrote: "Brian: Most of the GGK books I've read are fantastic! The exception to that is his Fionvar Tapestry trilogy, which is mediocre at best. Fionvar is also a really different style than the rest of his..."

No worries, I am committed for this one :)

message 27: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 25, 2019 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I started last night and am loving it... it's narrated by Simon Vance ( he did Temeraire and Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne)

I'm liking the writing style and the other books it reminds me of... so far, I'm in the middle of Part 2, and wondering how the book is structured going forward, because so far there is very little overlap with Part 1 in characters...

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I mistakenly bought from the wrong site and will wait for refund before buying from the right one....

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I started last night and am loving it... it's narrated by Simon Vance ( he did Temeraire and Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne)

I'm liking the writing style and the other books it reminds me of... s..."

Oooh just grabbed the audiobook from my library, didn't realize Simon Vance narrated it! I've heard good things about him, extra excited to start this one today

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Yea... I've listened to quite a bit of Simon Vance... I hear he's the better narrator for Vampire Chronicles (Anne RIce), he also did the Imriel Trilogy of Kushiel's Legacy... and he's narrated a ton of stuff I haven't read:

Dune
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
that new Game of Thrones anthology
Lightbringer
some classics (Dracula, Dickens, Sherlock Holmes)
Shannara
etc (Audible has 700 audiobooks narrated by him)

Narilka | 2629 comments I’ll be starting tonight. Really looking forward to this one.

message 32: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Will start on 27th

Andrew | 653 comments I started also, and I've got one more chapter left in Part 1. I'm sad to hear there's a major shift in characters in Part 2 since I'm starting to really like some of the current cast. GGK always manages to tie things together so perfectly (well, other than Fionvar) so I trust in the author's direction and vision.

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Andrew wrote: "I started also, and I've got one more chapter left in Part 1. I'm sad to hear there's a major shift in characters in Part 2 since I'm starting to really like some of the current cast. GGK always ma..."

Part 2 gives more insight into Brandin... it's not completely new... and I think there are connections...

message 35: by Anny (last edited Feb 25, 2019 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anny | 241 comments Just starting the prologue. (view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Anny wrote: "Just starting the prologue. [spoilers removed]"

I really liked that aspect too. Really liking everything about it so far

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I'm approaching the halfway mark, and things are grtting murky... (view spoiler) definitely making me think...

message 38: by Silvana (last edited Feb 27, 2019 04:28AM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments 4% and I've been thrown so many names but there's no list of chatacters :(

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments It's mostly one main traveling group of characters, by the end of Part 1... and a smaller group of important characters in Part 2...

If you're still struggling by midway into part 2, there's a helper sheet in a thread in another group I found with Google:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

TV Tropes also has a character list, but the tropes for each character might contain spoilers...

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...

Couldn't find a spoiler-free character list, tho...

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I'm near the end now... the melodrama of Tigana (place/name) gets a bit tiring, after awhile, but otherwise there is much to love about this book...

Side note: I'm so used to long drawn out series, that I can't help but see how other authors would turn this intoa trilogy or ongoing series like Game of Thrones...

message 41: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Thanks, Iain, that's very helpful.

message 42: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Side note: I'm so used to long drawn out series, that I can't help but see how other authors would turn this intoa trilogy or ongoing series like Game of Thrones"

Are you saying the book is compact and fast-paced?

message 43: by Silvana (last edited Feb 27, 2019 08:54AM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments 9%
Umm is it just me or there are so many scenes happened offscreen and we only being told what happened by the author?
Also the cupboard scene (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Silvana wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Side note: I'm so used to long drawn out series, that I can't help but see how other authors would turn this intoa trilogy or ongoing series like Game of Thrones"

Ar..."

Not exactly... just that you read Wheel of Time or something... and you have a plot to overthrow an Empire... but then a problem arises... a third and fourth side decide to invade, someone gets kidnapped, and all of a sudden there are seven books or more... but with a standalone, the author wraps the whole thing up in one book, and you're like "it's over... but this is just the first book..."

I rarely read standalones...

In a lot of ways, the book is kinda slow... with most time taken up with traveling... it's kinda like we showed up for the last book in a series, considering how much stuff Allesand has been orchestrating for years, in preparation for this day/year...

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2334 comments Silvana wrote: "4% and I've been thrown so many names but there's no list of chatacters :("

keep tabs on Alessan and Dianora whom you will meet in second part. All other characters are secondary to these two.

Andrew | 653 comments Just finished Part 2. I am loving the story, and all the flawed but beautifully written characters. Classic GGK thus far.

Narilka | 2629 comments I’m through ch 4 and liking it so far. This is a story that isn’t in a rush. It took a chapter or two to adjust my brain from modern YA writing style to a more deliberate and descriptive pace. I’m good now lol

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I zoomed through the first half to two-thirds of the book... then it took me 2-3 days to finish... I dunno if I just wasn't in the mood to read, or the book caused me to not read... always hard to tell with me, as much reading as I do...

I finished now, tho, and there were some big surprises at the end...

message 49: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments 15%

Can somebody explain about the curse

(view spoiler)

The purple prose sometimes distracting as well. And everyone is so weepy ;p

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Silvana wrote: "15%:..."

(view spoiler)

I saw online, someone say GGK is the first author they think of, anytime someone is looking for a book with emotional men...

« previous 1