Authors & Reviewers discussion

Welcome! [Getting Started] > First novel nervousness!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Mack | 6 comments Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda Mack and I'm a screenwriter turned author out of Savannah, GA! Over 14 months last year and this year, I wrote my very first novel, and it comes out New Years Day 2019. It's called "The Size of Nobodies" and it's a science fiction novel about two childhood friends (and foster siblings) whose lives get turned upside down when they take in an 8-year-old that’s part of a committee that can end humanity. It’s up to them to stop her from being sold and used for the megalomaniac visions of a madman, but nothing will prepare them for what they’ll go through to do that. It’s a tribute to the power of human connections -- the ones made and the ones lost. It’s also something of a love letter to the best healing device on the planet: music.

The whole process of writing and self-publishing this book has been intense. Like I said, I come from a screenwriting background which is so, so different from writing a book. Screenplays aren't really meant for publishing publically if they aren't produced, so I'd gotten too comfortable with the idea of writing stuff that only a few people -- like the judges of screenplay competitions-- ever read. And I'm not gonna lie: there's something nice about writing into a void. But at some point, you sit back and look at all these little worlds you've created and all these characters you love, and realize that the only person that knows they exist is you. And no matter how freeing it is to write and only receive solicited, constructive critiques, there's a part of your creativity that becomes really disillusioned by that.

And I think that's why I wrote this book. To leap the hell right out of my comfort zone.

Didn't mean for this post to be this long. I really just wanted to pop on and say hi and offer an ebook advance for review to anyone willing to do so, but you know how us writers are!

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning how to use Goodreads way better than I do right now!

- Amanda

message 2: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 41 comments Hi Amanda,

congratulations on the release of your first novel. I'm two books in and still get nervous about letting my babies out into the world for all to see! I love the premise of your novel - it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy so will definitely look it up when it's released :)

Jacqui

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Mack | 6 comments J.M. wrote: "Hi Amanda,

congratulations on the release of your first novel. I'm two books in and still get nervous about letting my babies out into the world for all to see! I love the premise of your novel - ..."

Thank you so much, J.M.! That's really good to know since I plan on writing a lot more books in the future. I'm also looking forward to checking out your work as well!