2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Jessika's December 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessika (last edited Dec 21, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Oh my, how time flies!!!

Currently Reading
Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #2) by Gregory Maguire Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller

Plan: Series
None :(

Plan: Other
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Completed
Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2) by Daniel O'Malley A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 The Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2 Dallas by Gerard Way A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle The Word of the Lord Seeing Jesus in the Prophets by Nancy Guthrie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson Paper Girls, Vol. 5 (Paper Girls, #5) by Brian K. Vaughan

Little by Little
So, Anyway... by John Cleese Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments We all do that sometimes: keep picking up different books and finishing none. Good luck with those and the " little by little" Great heading by the way.

Enjoy whatever you read.

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Michelle wrote: "Good luck with those and the " little by little" Great heading by the way."

Thanks! Les Mis is a slog, I'm going to try to finish it by Dec 2019... And John Cleese's book is my husband's and my bedtime book, but we haven't been going to bed at the same time lately, so that one's gonna take a while, too!

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi

I finished Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood today, another first in a series. It was so good, and taught me things about the Islamic Revolution that Iran went through in the late 70s/early 80s. Can't wait to read on.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments Happy reading!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4292 comments Mod
Hope you have a fantastic month, Jessika!

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks, ladies!

message 8: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer

I finished Whiskey Tango Foxtrot today, and good riddance. I tend to reserve 1 star for books that are essentially unreadable. This book was readable; I just found it wholly unenjoyable. I can see why others might like it, but it definitely wasn't for me... I'm being generous and giving it 2 stars on GR, but 1.5 stars in my mind.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jessika wrote: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer

I finished Whiskey Tango Foxtrot today, and good riddance. I tend to reserve 1 star for books that are essentially unreadable. This book ..."

Commendable you stuck with this. Hope you like your other choices.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Laura wrote: "Commendable you stuck with this."

To be fair, I listened to the audiobook on 1.8x or 2x speed to get through it faster... hehe

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jessika wrote: "Laura wrote: "Commendable you stuck with this."

To be fair, I listened to the audiobook on 1.8x or 2x speed to get through it faster... hehe"

Lol

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10921 comments Mod
I have quite a few Celeste Ng books on my shelf so I’m interested in your feedback on the two on your list.

Enjoy your reading!

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2542 comments I read Les Mis in high school and loved it.

message 14: by Jessika (last edited Dec 15, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2) by Daniel O'Malley

I finished Stiletto a few days ago, but have been too busy to update! It's #2 in a series, and #3 is supposedly in the works, although the author hasn't really updated since 2016...

message 15: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman

I listened to A Study in Emerald today. Love me some Gaiman! Next year, I plan to finally read A Study in Scarlet.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Good luck with finishing some of the books you've started Jessika.

message 17: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Angela wrote: "Good luck with finishing some of the books you've started Jessika."

Thanks, I'm working on it! :)

message 18: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 The Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way

I finished The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite today, a quick graphic novel that I really enjoyed. On to #2!

message 19: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2 Dallas by Gerard Way

Just read The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas. Another good one! The third book is planned to come out July 2019.

message 20: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

I'm still jumping around a lot, but I'm desperately trying to finish another challenge, which means that I'm trying to find short, quick reads to complete my last 7 books before the end of the year!! Anyway, I listened to A Study in Scarlet on audiobook.

message 21: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Word of the Lord Seeing Jesus in the Prophets by Nancy Guthrie

I finished reading The Word of the Lord: Seeing Jesus in the Prophets for my Bible study group. For people like me, who get bored with the Old Testament and fail to see how all that history could relate to me today, this book really helped bring to light the importance. I look forward to reading and studying this author's other books.

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

I'm reading through a list of "Best Books Based in Every State" and I gotta say, if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the best Nevada has to offer, I'd rather do without. This book LITERALLY is about doing drugs the whole time. There is no other plot. I hated this book, I'm glad it was short so that I could finish quickly.

message 23: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Paper Girls, Vol. 5 (Paper Girls, #5) by Brian K. Vaughan

Paper Girls, Vol. 5 just came out, I got it last night and read it in one setting today! Vol. 6 is a mere dream right now, with no release date yet. So I'm currently UTD in this series.