What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
This topic is about The Tower of Geburah
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Canadian Children/YA fantasy Narnia-esque sibling adventure. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Moncada | 3 comments I'm trying to track down a book (possibly series? I had the impression there was at least one sequel) -- children's fantasy novel(s) with a similar feel and premise to the Narnia books, except set in Canada (probably Winnipeg?).

A set of siblings (3-4 children, I think, at least one boy and one girl) are transported to another world and have some kind of adventure. I think the "lead" character was the youngest girl in the family. I know that's quite vague, but I'm hoping the specificity of the real world location where they start might help narrow things down quite a bit.

I think the author was a woman, although I'm not 100% certain of that.

I first read this book in the late 90s/no later than 2000. My general impression is that it was originally published in the 60s/70s or earlier. I believe found it in a big pile of hardback fantasy novels my parents got as part of a fantasy/sci-fi book club in the 70s and 80s.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 219 comments Could be The Same Place But Different by Perry Nodelman. It had a sequel called A Completely Different Place.

This is set in Winnipeg. Published in the 90s.

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Moncada | 3 comments Seems close in some ways, but I don't think this was it (I can't find an ebook preview online so I'll try to get my hands on a library copy to be sure).

I'm fairly certain the main POV character was a girl, and it was stylistically much closer to C.S. Lewis or Edith Nesbit than I can imagine a book for young readers published in the early 1990s would possibly be, which is why I'm leaning toward it being a bit older.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 219 comments Ok, maybe The Tower of Geburah by John White.
Published in the 1970s. The children are British, but visiting an uncle in Winnipeg.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Moncada | 3 comments YES! Thank you so much, John. Reading the summary (and even seeing some of the older cover art available online), I'm pretty certain this is right -- I believe the two that my parents got in hardback through their fantasy book club were The Tower of Geburah and The Iron Sceptre, which was how I knew it was a series.

Thank you!