Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
November 2018: Literary Fiction > Circe by Madeline Miller - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments So when I read this I realized something. Even though I've read quite a bit of Greek mythology a never really paid that much attention to the Titans. I mean sure I knew about their creation and how they were overthrown by the Olympians but they never played a big part in any of the stories I read and I'd never even heard of Circe.

So I went into this fairly blind, I'm not sure if that made it more enjoyable or not, it did make it less predictable. But I think even if I had been more knowledgeable about the Titans and Circe I still would still have found this a unique and captivating read.

The way Miller writes is astounding, she draws you into ancient Greece and gives you a front row seat to watch it all unfold so vividly you can almost taste it. The gods brutality and indifference, Circe's strong and compelling thoughts, the breathtaking scenery.

Her mother, father and siblings mock Circe because she is born with a mortal voice and I think it's being an outcast that ends up helping her to discover her powers.

It was a truly wonderful journey getting to follow Circe as she grew and gained wisdom. I found her a very likable and relatable character.

KateNZ | 2208 comments You’re so right about the front row seat. Really glad you liked this so much - another Circe fan :)

message 3: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Magdalena wrote: "So when I read this I realized something. Even though I've read quite a bit of Greek mythology a never really paid that much attention to the Titans. I mean sure I knew about their creation and how..."

It was the same for me. When they mocked her voice, I was trying to imagine what it sounded like. It seemed so cruel. (It reminded me of the book A Prayer for Owen Meany, about a boy with a wrecked voice.) Little did I know, she probably sounded a lot like me. Her voice helped her to gain the trust of the mortals, which turned out to be a nice thing.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7125 comments I agree with being so draw in that you felt like you were there-lovely review and glad you got finished!

Theresa | 6124 comments Another for #TeamCirce!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments I agree with all you said. I too didn't know much about the Titan. I loved the way Miller made this "real".

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Goodness. Another overwhelmingly positive review for Circe. Okay, okay guys. I get it. I'm missing out and I'll have to hunt it down.

I'm actually not even sure why I haven't added it until now. I've had an obsession with Greek Mythology since I was a child and could probably recite multiple versions of most of the myths, including those of the Titans by heart, if called upon to do so. I guess at a certain point, I started avoiding it, because I know I'm so easily sucked in and have not explored other mythologies and retellings (aside from Egyptian and Norse) nearly as thoroughly.