50 books to read before you die discussion

The Quiet American
This topic is about The Quiet American
Book Discussions - 50 Books > The Quiet American by Graham Greene

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christine | 466 comments Mod
This is the next book to read as a group on the 50 list. Number 21.

I read this several years ago so I won’t be joining in this month, but I hope those of you who do read it have a lively discussion.

Linda | 86 comments I listened to the audiobook of this one about a year ago, I think. It was the first Graham Greene book I had read and enjoyed it, although I had to do some reading up on the book and historical timeline afterward just to make sure I understood it since I didn't have a very strong background on the war and political aspects, which were obviously central to the theme of this book.

Buck (spectru) | 944 comments Mod
Here is my very brief review from nearly five years ago: A story of war and love and ruined hope. It should have been written by Ernest Hemingway.
I really don't remember it now.

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 23 comments Back in my freshman college days, my best friend and I had to read The Power and the Glory by Greene/the story of the Cristero movement in Mexico during the 1920's. We both loathed the book. Years later, I went to see a play by Greene. I loathed it. Greene is one of my least favorite writers.
I am somewhat amazed by his reputation among other first rate writers. As for me, the Mexican novel, depicting in glorious archetype, a Catholic priest, readily slipped into stereotype. The critics did not catch it. But subsequently, his next Mexican novel they did.
As for the Quiet American its best aspect was that Maureen O'Hara was its star. As for Mr. Wayne, he was best off riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.