Catholic Thought discussion

Joy to the World > Discussion Schedule

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3890 comments Mod
As announced, Joy to the World: How Christ's Coming Changed Everything (and Still Does) was the winner in our vote for the Christmas read. There are fourteen chapters in the book, ranging from 8 to 18 pages. If we take four weeks to read the book, the weekly read can either be three or four chapters. If we start reading Sunday, we can start commenting next Sunday. So I propose this schedule.

Chapters 1-4, Dec 9 – 15
Chapters 5-7, Dec 16 – 22
Chapters 8 – 11, Dec 23 – 29
Chapters 12 – 14, Dec 30 – Jan 5

I’ve already perused the book. It’s a leisurely read and perfect for the Christmas season which can be so stressful.

I'll start a file for each discussion week within this folder.

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 585 comments Thank you, Manny. I just ordered the book from Amazon.

message 3: by Manny (new)

Frances wrote: "Thank you, Manny. I just ordered the book from Amazon."

That's great Frances. I'm looking forward to a Christmas read.

message 4: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1424 comments Mod
Mine arrived two days ago, and I couldn't help myself, I had to read a few pages :)

message 5: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 75 comments I just bought the Kindle and am ready to go. This is my first read with the group, so if there is something I need to know or read, please let me know,

message 6: by Kerstin (new)

Ah, we're pretty easy going :)

message 7: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 75 comments Kerstin wrote: "Ah, we're pretty easy going :)"
Thanks Kerstin.

message 8: by Manny (new)

Celia wrote: "I just bought the Kindle and am ready to go. This is my first read with the group, so if there is something I need to know or read, please let me know,"

Whatever comes to mind Celia is fine. I can get too analytical, but that's not how most others are here.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments My parish gave the book to all parishioners as a Christmas give last year so count me in! Looking forward to engaging with the group again; it has been a while!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 184 comments That's how I got my copy, too, Kristen

message 11: by Kerstin (new)

Kristen wrote: "My parish gave the book to all parishioners as a Christmas give last year so count me in! Looking forward to engaging with the group again; it has been a while!"

That's great! Don't know if our parish has done that the last couple of years, we were gone visiting family.

message 12: by Manny (new)

Kristin, Lisa - So glad you'll be joining us. I've missed your participation.

message 13: by Manny (new)

Nadine wrote: "to clarify, we start reading December 9 or we start commenting on the chapters then?"

No we're reading now Nadine if you have the book. I was going to start a comments folder on the 9th. It's a fast read, so it's easy to catch up.

We're currently still discussing the Gospel of Luke. Unfortunately I'm the only one that's commented there. I can't believe I'm the only one that's read Luke's Gospel.

message 14: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 641 comments We're currently still discussing the Gospel of Luke. Unfortunately I'm the only one that's commented there. I can't believe I'm the only one that's read Luke's Gospel.

Manny, I'm reading it. I did want to comment earlier about one example (and Luke does this in the Acts as well with the Apostles) of how so many things that Jesus did not only fulfilled a prophecy, but paralleled a similar incident in the Old Testament. When Jesus raises the widow's son from death, he is showing his power over death as prophesied in I Kings 17:8-24 when Elijah also resurrected another widow's son. Elijah was one of the figures in Jesus' Transfiguration, representing the prophets, and I imagine those two events may have been part of their conversation that evening!

I had another comment on a later chapter, but I'll save it.

message 15: by Manny (new)

Madeleine wrote: "We're currently still discussing the Gospel of Luke. Unfortunately I'm the only one that's commented there. I can't believe I'm the only one that's read Luke's Gospel.

Manny, I'm reading it. I di..."

Madeleine, I got real busy the last couple of days and couldn't get to more of Luke. Chapters 18 and 19 also fascinated me and wanted to say something on them. I'll try either tonight or tomorrow. Could you post your comment over at the Luke discussion folder and I'll reply to it.

message 16: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 75 comments Regarding Joy to the World...Luke's gospel is mentioned 101 times (oh, the beauty of the Kindle search!!) We should all be reading Luke, especially the Infancy (Christmas) narrative.

message 17: by Manny (new)

Celia wrote: "Regarding Joy to the World...Luke's gospel is mentioned 101 times (oh, the beauty of the Kindle search!!) We should all be reading Luke, especially the Infancy (Christmas) narrative."

I was also thinking that it is a wonderful combination. The Holy Spirit at work in our humble book club! ;)

message 18: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 641 comments And our parish Bible Study is doing the Acts! Lots of connections--just hope I can keep up with the readings!