Reading 1001 discussion

Smiley's People (George Smiley #7; Karla Trilogy #3)
This topic is about Smiley's People
1001 book reviews > Smiley's People by John LeCarre

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 1209 comments Mod
Smiley's People by John Le Carre
3.5 stars

When I put this book on my TBR list I didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. Nothing like starting the last book first. This is my first John Le Carre book.

I think I was inspired to read this book after I saw a Sixty Minute piece on the author. I didn't realize he was a former British agent from the cold war. I was amazed how he has managed to create a whole second career as a book author in which many have been made into TV series or movie. I am in fact enjoying the TV series based on this book.

"In London at dead of night, George Smiley, sometime acting Chief of the Circus (aka the British Secret Service), is summoned from his lonely bed by news of the murder of an ex-agent. Lured back to active service, Smiley skillfully maneuvers his people -- the no-men of no-man's land -- into crisscrossing Paris, London, Germany, and Switzerland as he prepares for his own final, inevitable duel on the Berlin border with his Soviet counterpart and archenemy, Karla."

I did enjoy this book, it has been a long time since I have read any espionage. LeCarre writes very intelligently which I appreciated. I was mostly engaged with the story in all its twist and turns but by the end I did want it to wrap up. Some portions of the story did not come full circle for me but maybe that is because I have not read the trilogy in order:)

Amanda Dawn | 937 comments Read: March 5th 2019
Rated: 3 stars

This was my March TBR book (and first TBR actually: yay). I've read 2 of the 3 "Karla" books now (haven't read The Honourable Schoolboy).

I enjoyed this book, and it was satisfying to see Karla finally bested by Smiley after reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but I didn't love it as much as that book. I think Tinker Tailor engrossed me more due to the mystery aspect with the mole, but there were things I liked specifically in this book such as Vladimir's assassination and the discovery of Tatianna.

Overall, while not a huge spy enthusiast, I do find myself partial to Le Carre (especially over people like Flemming), due to the realism over grandiosity (without destroying the suspense) I feel he injects into his work.

Valerie Brown | 531 comments Read March 2021

I enjoyed this novel quite a bit. I enjoy Le Carre’s writing and his story telling abilities. Although, I do have to admit I was a bit confused by the very large cast of characters for the first half of the book. It probably would have been helpful to have read ‘Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy’ more recently than seven years ago. Still, good fun was to be had with interesting and finely drawn characters and a suspenseful plot. 4*