Book Club for Introverts discussion

Nine Perfect Strangers > Chapters 72-79

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Here's the place to talk about chapters 72-79. Please don't spoil it for others; if you want to talk about something in a later chapter, I'll be posting topics for the other chapters as well.

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 14 comments Finished the book. Really enjoyed it even though it got really outlandishly weird. Great character development! My brain is too tired to write my thoughts about the book. This is the busy season after all 🤪. Looking forward to everyone else’s thoughts!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

I really enjoyed it too! Sometimes a lot of weird makes things interesting. I was worried this would be a formulaic plot - drink green smoothies, sit in the sauna, find yourself health retreat. I'm glad I was wrong! ;)

message 4: by Alyx (new)

Alyx Hatton | 30 comments I LOVED it! Such a satisfying ending. I really enjoyed how weird it got. And I kind of like that Masha’s plan came to fruition because it’s just so real. Even though I don’t like Tony I’m so happy he and Frances wound up together. I love everyone’s happy endings. I’ve never read anything by her, but I will certainly be checking some things out of the library soon!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hunt maples | 22 comments Loved the book! I love that Tony and Frances ended up getting married and I bet everyone was at their wedding. I’m also guessing that Zoe and Ben end up together and the little ring bearer, Zach, is their son. I cried when Napoleon finally yelled at Heather and got all his feelings out. I dislike Masha and can’t even feel sorry for her for never meeting her second son or grandkids.

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy Cameron | 8 comments Since I listened to this all in 2 days, I didn't really get a chance to break it down, but I liked the book right up until the part where she started doing the character catch-ups later on. I kind of wanted to imagine how they'd all live happily ever after, it just feels a bit like that bit was forced, kind of like the editor told her she couldn't finish the book until every loose end was tied up! I'm going to look out for more of her books though - I'd actually read my first one of hers just before this, Truly, Madly, Guilty and really enjoyed it. It seems that her speciality is doing stories from multiple viewpoints and building things up in layers, and I like the way she does that.

In the end:

- I adored Frances (unlike that last one!) because she didn't take herself or the situation too seriously
- I really liked Zoe, who almost seemed like the adult in the family while her parents fell apart, and Ben, who I feel sorry for having such a narcissistic wife and having lost his circle of friends/workmates because of the money
- I liked Tony, because I know a couple of ex-pro-footballers and he was quite scarily true to how they actually behave in real life, just lost without the adoration of every bloke in the street and not sure what to do now. I liked Napoleon, because it felt like at least he was trying everything to understand and help others through Zach's death. Both Carmel and Yao I liked well enough, but both had some slightly irritating character flaws for me with their subservience to others without question.
- I disliked Lars because of his kind of superior attitude to them at the beginning, and although I kind of got why he did the job he did, I know in real life someone else that's done something similar, who's also a lawyer and he's an arse, so it might have coloured my view!
- I really disliked Heather, because she was so spiky, Jessica, for her narcissism and obsession with social media (rather in the same way that the Kardashians and the like really annoy me!), Masha, for being unhinged, although I know others of former Soviet Union countries with a similar focus on doing what they think is right and fighting it to the death, so it's not an unfamiliar characterisation and Delilah because I found her to be another self-absorbed person.

message 7: by Myra (new)

Myra | 48 comments Finished the book. Not sure how I feel about it--things got too unreal. Glad it ended well for the good guys.

message 8: by Myra (new)

Myra | 48 comments What are we reading next?

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Loved the book! I love that Tony and Frances ended up getting married and I bet everyone was at their wedding. I’m also guessing that Zoe and Ben end up together and the little ring bearer, Zach, i..."

Wow! Two days is a marathon audiobook session! That had to feel immersive.

Great character summary. I wish she had left a few ends undone as well.

My favorite book of hers has been "What Alice Forgot". If you enjoy the multiple viewpoints and layering, it's really well done in that book.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (debh56) | 63 comments I finished the book today and loved the way the author wrapped things. Crazy as she was, Masha still created transformation for her guests. She was a sad character. Zoe remained my favorite until the end. So grounded.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kdarby) | 20 comments I gave this book 3 stars. I loved the characters but it was just a little too 'out there' for me. I hated the last group of chapters that was just tying up loose ends. Like Katy said, it felt forced and rushed after the nice smooth story development throughout the rest of the book. I am happy that Tony and Frances end up together, not surprised that Jessica and Ben break up... I too am imagining that Zoe and Ben get together, but I'm trying to remember their relative ages and think he might be too old for her? Good book overall!