Book Club for Introverts discussion

Nine Perfect Strangers
This topic is about Nine Perfect Strangers
Nine Perfect Strangers > Chapters 36-41

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Here's the place to talk about chapters 36-41. Please don't spoil it for others; if you want to talk about something in a later chapter, I'll be posting topics for the other chapters as well.

deana everett | 124 comments I love that Carmel chooses her own body on her "trip". She may have gotten her self-confidence back! This is my favorite trip!

The Napoleon, Heather and Zoe chapters are tough. What a rollercoaster. I love the imagery of Heather as a snake and the tapeworm metaphor is perfect. I can see her wrenching the explanation out of herself. Zach's death was HER fault, not theirs. It's almost a competition. The anticlimax was almost disappointing. Each of them think his suicide was their fault and each of them are hanging on flimsy reasons. Maybe this will help them see it's no one's fault.

So far, I’m the happiest for Carmel and the changes she is making.

That imagery for Heather’s experience was phenomenal.

Alyx Hatton | 30 comments Yes, I also loved that so much.

The Marconi family’s trip is really heart breaking.

Deborah (debh56) | 63 comments I’m most interested in Zoe and her family. It seems like Zoe need someone like Frances in her life so she can talk freely and be validated. That situation is sad.

Deborah (debh56) | 63 comments Thinking about the tapeworm. What a graphic way to visualize Heather’s grief and guilt. Also interesting that they all saw Zach. Of course, he would be on their minds, but I also wondered if he really did appear to help his parents and sister on their journey. After all, Frances saw him, too.

Kristin (kdarby) | 20 comments I love that Carmel chose her own body because she knew the others didn't fit right!

Deborah, I like your theory that Zach did appear. It's quite sad to see how each of them blames themselves, but Zach is trying to say that it wasn't any of their fault... he wasn't himself.

I really started to like Carmel at this point in the book. She had a lot of growth despite the crazy environment.