Book Club for Introverts discussion

Nine Perfect Strangers
This topic is about Nine Perfect Strangers
Nine Perfect Strangers > Chapters 12-17

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jenkinson (jenniferjenkinson) | 414 comments Mod
Here's the place to talk about chapters 12-17. Please don't spoil it for others; if you want to talk about something in a later chapter, I'll be posting topics for the other chapters as well.

deana everett | 124 comments These chapters seem to mainly fill in the backstory of the characters. Masha is charismatic, loves what she does and easily controls the group. Lars is cynical and apparently bisexual. He appears to be very selfish and doesn't want a family regardless of his partner's wishes. Jessica misses her phone too. We learn the backstory of Jessica and Ben-they win the lotto from a ticket bought by Ben's mother after the robbery. It's clear Ben and Jessica are good people and try to do the right thing by giving all family members $. They still manage to piss people off and ruin relationships. Ben was afraid from the beginning that the $ would change them. The only thing he is happy about is the car; Jessica hates the car. Heather either deliberately walks off the path and nearly jumps to her death or accidentally wanders off the path and nearly falls to her death. I think it's the first--she wants to die because of the loss of Zach.

Even though Frances has lost her career and love, I feel she is in better shape mentally than all the rest. She still finds humor in all situations. The others appear sad and damaged.

So far, I adore Frances. She’s funny and her conversation with Zoe was so honest and sweet. And then she goes and throws in a Jane Eyre reference - now she’s my favorite for sure.

The others seem so broken and sad. They are a big contrast to Frances.

Alyx Hatton | 30 comments I’ve never read Jane Eyre 😳🤷🏻‍♀️😂

I do love that moment with Zoe though, I found it really sweet and beautiful in a sad way.

I don’t find Lars to be selfish at all, just knows what he wants and shouldn’t have to give that up for someone. Not having children is not, in my opinion, selfish at all.

I appreciate the character development and can’t wait to see how Lars knows “the serial killer” (who I’ve come to hate).

I like Lars and agree that he’s not selfish. To me, deciding not to have a child has always seemed UNselfish if you know it is the right choice for you.

Alyx Hatton | 30 comments I can’t figure out how to reply to comments on here. I completely agree, Jennifer. Though it does sound like he may have been cheating on Ray with some married women, and that is selfish, IMO.

Alyx wrote: "I can’t figure out how to reply to comments on here. I completely agree, Jennifer. Though it does sound like he may have been cheating on Ray with some married women, and that is selfish, IMO."

I can only seem to reply to a specific comment if I'm on a desktop. If I'm using the app on my phone I don't see that option.

And yes, if it does end up that he was cheating then I'm off Team Selfless Lars. ;)

Rebecca Hunt maples | 22 comments I wonder if Lars is cheating with married women or if he is somehow swindling them out of money. I think back to the “YOU! You’re the reason I’m flying cattle class!” When he was boarding the plane and one of the “husbands” recognized him. Maybe he isn’t swindling like Frances’ Paul but maybe somehow convincing the women to spend a lot of their husbands’ money on something.

And I kind of like the serial killer, I think he’s just clueless about women. I am wondering how Lars knows him though.

Rebecca Hunt maples | 22 comments It just hit me, maybe Lars is a divorce lawyer!

Rebecca wrote: "It just hit me, maybe Lars is a divorce lawyer!"
Ooooh! That's a really interesting theory. It would make sense.

message 11: by Alyx (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyx Hatton | 30 comments Yes!!!! Maybe he is a divorce lawyer! I love that hypothesis. #teamlars 😂

Deborah (debh56) | 63 comments The moment between Zoe and Frances was touching. I tend to like the rebels. And knowing that Zoe’s brother died helps to explain some of their family dynamics. But, how does Lars know the “serial killer”?

message 13: by Myra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myra | 48 comments so true about how life is so rushed and anxiety-provoking. Interesting how the author had them all participate in the walking meditation to slow down dramatically. So uncomfortable for Frances.

Kristin (kdarby) | 20 comments These chapters were thought provoking and had me reflecting on the fast-pace of my own life. Understanding some of the characters' back stories is helping to fill in some gaps and get a better sense of who they are. I am glad to find out that Ben and Jessica got their money from perfectly legal sources! It's funny to me that Ben seemed to predict that having a lot of money would change them, and I think maybe he resents it, while Jessica seems to adore the attention and luxury.

Does anyone else wonder if Heather's wandering off the path during the hike was purposeful? Her deep grief may be giving her suicidal thoughts?

And lastly, we're learning about many of the characters, but haven't learned much about Carmel yet... I can't wait to hear her story.