What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Thorn
This topic is about Thorn
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy retelling princess works in stables after magical betrayal. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hrimcealde | 15 comments This is a YA book written probably in the last 5 years, and is set in a land that has faint Indian or Middle Eastern influences (I think!). Was probably available on kindle unlimited at some point. The princess (maybe not a princess) is not well liked by her people for some reason (or maybe just her step-mother?) and she is surprised to learn she has been betrothed to a handsome prince from a neighboring kingdom. On her way to her new home, one of handmaidens betrays her and maybe switches bodies with her? Somehow she ends up working in the stables and maybe there’s some contact with a rebel group? She learns to fight. I remember she was frightened of one of the other stable hands. It may not involve a body switch - but I seem to remember that she really liked the prince but became convinced that he was taking her to marry to blame her for a murder he was going to commit, but that might be back of the book information. I want to say the author was a woman of color, but can’t be certain of that either, and that she had at least one other book that was a retelling if a fable or fairy tale but set in a fantasy setting inspired by India or the Middle East. Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Aerulan (last edited Nov 30, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Thorn by Intisar Khanani?

message 3: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments Sounds like Thorn to me too!

message 4: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby (libbith220) | 22 comments This isn't Indian or Middle Eastern, but it kind of sounds like The Goose Girl

Hrimcealde | 15 comments You’re all right! The book is Thorn, but that is a retelling of The Goose Girl. You guys rock! Thanks!

message 6: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Hrimcealde wrote: "You’re all right! The book is Thorn, but that is a retelling of The Goose Girl. You guys rock! Thanks!"

You're welcome!