Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Challenges > December 2018 Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2270 comments Mod
December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!
Begins: 01Dec18 / Ends: 31Dec18

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)

Christmas - The traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 18, 2019 01:29PM) (new)

List of participating members:

(Click on your name to go directly to your post.)

FINSHED!
Connie
Koren
Lee
Tessa

Still working

James

JennH

Sheila

message 3: by Koren (last edited Dec 26, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)-The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter: A Memoir by Holly Robinson finished 12/20 288 pages
The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter A Memoir by Holly Robinson

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover-The Library Book by Susan Orlean finished 12/23
The Library Book by Susan Orlean

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.- Mama Maggie: The Untold Story of One Woman's Mission to Love the Forgotten Children of Egypt's Garbage Slums by Marty Makary and Ellen Vaugn finished 12/10
Mama Maggie The Untold Story of One Woman's Mission to Love the Forgotten Children of Egypt's Garbage Slums by Martin Makary

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2
Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.-The Job: True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop by Steve Osborne
The Job True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop by Steve Osborne

message 4: by Connie (last edited Dec 27, 2018 10:25PM) (new)

Connie D | 80 comments December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!

7/5 completed
I didn't do all 5 categories, but did extra of other categories.

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)

Mr. Dickens and His Carol. Samantha Silva. 288 pages. 4.5 stars. 12/20/18

Every Living Thing. Cynthia Rylant. 81 pages. 4 stars. 12/24/18

Christmas - The traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover

Mayflower A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick Nathaniel Philbrick. 4 stars 12/25/18

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)

The Lake House Kate Morton. 4.5 stars. 12/6/18

Louisiana's Way Home Kate DiCamillo. 4 stars. 12/16/18

Gilbert King. Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America 4 stars. 12/24/18

William Finnegan. Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life 4 stars. 12/28/18

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 18, 2019 01:30PM) (new)

December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!

5 / 5 completed

Hanukkah - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. - 485 pg - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Christmas - Green cover - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ✔ - 16Dec18

Kwanzaa - Read a book by an author of African heritage - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani / Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree ✔ - 04Mar19

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES - Christmas Camp ✔ - 03Dec18

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS - Truman Capote / Other Voices, Other Rooms ✔ – 09Jan19

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Everyone's linked to this point. Enjoy the challenge!

message 7: by JennH (new)

JennH | 64 comments December 2018 Mini Challenge

I feel like I'm cheating but here I go....

message 8: by Lee (last edited Dec 22, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Lee | 570 comments I'm in

Leverage in Death (In Death, #47) by J.D. Robb
Leverage in Death by J. D. Robb
385 pages
December 14, 2018

Terror Red by David Hunt
Terror Red by David Hunt
December 7, 2018

Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
by Maya Angelou
December 22, 2018

The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning
The Dark Highlander by Karen Moning
December 5, 2018

Always By My Side Life Lessons from Millie and All the Dogs I've Loved by Edward Grinnan
Always By My Side by Edward Grinnan
December 10, 2018

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

JennH & Lee - Your links are active. Enjoy the challenge.

NOTE: I'm on the road for much of this month (as I type I'm in a hotel room). I may have iffy internet connection, so probably won't be checking in every day. But I hope everyone has a great holiday season.

message 10: by James (last edited Dec 28, 2018 03:11AM) (new)

James F | 1382 comments It's been a long while since I participated in one of the monthly challenges.

Hanukkah - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8 -- Friedrich Nietzsche, The Pre-Platonic Philosophers: Translated from the German and Edited with an Introduction and Commentary by Greg Whitlock [1872-73, tr. 2001] 287 pages

Christmas - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover -- Toni Morrison, Tar Baby [1981] 306 pages Tar Baby by Toni Morrison

Kwanzaa - Read a book by an author of African heritage. -- Maryse Condé, Une Saison à Rihata [1981] 214 pages [in French, Kindle] (author from Guadaloupe; and set in Africa)

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES -- Hwang Sok-yong, The Shadow of Arms [1985, tr. 2014] 576 pages [Kindle]

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS -- Gabriel García Márquez, Ojos de perro azul [1974] 182 pages [in Spanish]

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome to the challenge, James. I've activated your link.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee | 570 comments Happy Holidays to all! I'm finished for December and the year (except August when I was traveling)

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Great job, Lee!

message 14: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 621 comments Done

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee | 570 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Great job, Lee!" Thanks! It's due to your great job of planning all the wonderful ideas! I was able to use books of my own for almost all of the challenges.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Congrats, Koren.

I'm still working on it. With traveling most of the month I've only managed to read 4 books all month!

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 80 comments Congrats, Koren and Lee! I've finished what I planned to do.

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Connie wrote: "Congrats, Koren and Lee! I've finished what I planned to do."

Great job, Connie - 7 books!

I never lock the challenges, so if you find books that match those other tasks feel free to come back and enter them later .. or not.

Happy reading New Year!

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 364 comments I see that I read in most of December's challenge so I'm in.

4/5

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)--The Kiss Quotient--Helen Hoang--314 pages--finished 12/28/18 The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

Christmas - The traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover--The Best Christmas Pageant Ever--Barbara Robinson--finished 12/19/18 The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1) by Barbara Robinson

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The) Ceremony--Leslie Marmon Silko--finished 12/7/18 Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko

The Graveyard Book--Neil Gaiman--finished 12/18/18 The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Never too late to join in the fun here, Sheila! Enjoy the challenge. I've created a link for you.

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Update Message # 5 - Challenge completed (finally)! - 04Mar19