Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

Fun With Challenges > December 2018 Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 01, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2430 comments Mod
December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!
Begins: 01Dec18 / Ends: 31Dec18

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.

=================================

Challenge Rules
* As you complete each task, include a link to the book (or cover, if required), the author if required, the date completed, and any other information required for the task.
* Books must be at least 100 pages long
* Page numbers are determined by the Hardcover edition. If there is no hardcover, you may use the most popular paperback edition. (Use these editions to determine page numbers regardless of the format you read - audio, e-book, etc)
* If you want credit for finishing, please post a "completed" message. The moderator does not get notification when you edit your original post, only when you make a new post.
* Have fun!

EXAMPLE of completed task:
A book with a BLUE cover: The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty ✔ - 14Jan18

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 04, 2019 07:56AM) (new)

Reserved for a list of participants:

CLICK on your name to go directly to your challenge post. Then edit that post to update.

Diana S

Ed ✔ - DONE

Gabi

JennH ✔ - DONE

Koren ✔ - DONE

Licha-Olivia

Marilyn ✔ - DONE

SANDYE

Tessa ✔ DONE

message 3: by Koren (last edited Dec 26, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 463 comments Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)-The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter: A Memoir by Holly Robinson finished 12/20 288 pages
The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter A Memoir by Holly Robinson

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover-The Library Book by Susan Orlean finished 12/23
The Library Book by Susan Orlean

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.- Mama Maggie: The Untold Story of One Woman's Mission to Love the Forgotten Children of Egypt's Garbage Slums by Marty Makary and Ellen Vaugn finished 12/10
Mama Maggie The Untold Story of One Woman's Mission to Love the Forgotten Children of Egypt's Garbage Slums by Martin Makary

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)-Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson finished 12/2
Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.-The Job: True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop by Steve Osborne
The Job True Tales from the Life of a New York City Cop by Steve Osborne

message 4: by Ed (last edited Jan 23, 2019 07:50PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 136 comments *****COMPLETED 1/23/19*****

5/5

✔Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)- The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey 12/8/18

✔Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover- The Green Man by Kingsley Amis by Kingsley Amis 12/20/18

✔Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage. - The Forty-Five Guardsmen by Alexandre Dumas 1/23/19

✔Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)- The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 12/15/18

✔Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.- George Orwell- Coming Up for Air 12/3/18

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 04, 2019 07:59AM) (new)

5 / 5 completed

Hanukkah - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8 - 380 p Delicious! ✔ - 28Dec18

Christmas - Green cover - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ✔ - 16Dec18

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani / Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree ✔ - 04Mar19

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES - Christmas Camp ✔ - 03Dec18

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS - Truman Capote / Other Voices, Other Rooms ✔ - 09Jan19

message 6: by Lila (new)

Lila Smith (lilasmith520-) 2/5 completed!

For my Christmas book, I read The Perfect Mother

The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy

For my gifts book, I'm currently reading A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell because simple is my S and favor is my F!

message 7: by JennH (last edited Dec 25, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

JennH | 180 comments December 2018 Mini Challenge

✔Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)
Cross the Line: by James Patterson 12/25/18 - 384 pages

✔Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover
On Thin Icing by Ellie Alexander 12/17/18
On Thin Icing (A Bakeshop Mystery, #3) by Ellie Alexander

✔Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones 12/16/18

✔Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)
Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb 12/6/18

✔Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.
Dracula by Bram Stoker 12/7/18

Last Christmas in Paris A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor Dracula by Bram Stoker An American Marriage by Tayari Jones On Thin Icing (A Bakeshop Mystery, #3) by Ellie Alexander Cross the Line (Alex Cross, #24) by James Patterson

message 8: by Book Concierge (last edited Nov 30, 2018 05:00PM) (new)

Lila wrote: "2/5 completed!

For my gifts book, I'm currently reading [bookcover:A Simple Favor|299383..."

Lila ... it's still November. You cannot complete a challenge before it begins.

Also the GIFTS challenge requires that the AUTHOR first or last initial be one of these letters, not the title. So your book won't work.

message 9: by Licha-Olivia (last edited Dec 31, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Licha-Olivia | 246 comments December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or (Green) cover Post the cover
Love, Stargirl Jerry Spinelli Love, Stargirl (Stargirl, #2) by Jerry Spinelli (12/31/18)

Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage.

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The): Chain of Lies (The) Debra Burroughs (12/25/18)

Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS
Spinelli, Jerry Stargirl (12/27/18)

message 10: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 19, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Marilyn Lott | 325 comments December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!

5/5 completed

The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer--12/2/18

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover
Snap by Belinda Bauer Snap by Belinda Bauer--12/13/18

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi--12/1/18

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens--12/18/18

The Infinite Blacktop by Sara Gran--12/10/18

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

I think I've got everyone linked to this point. Please let me know if I've missed you.

message 12: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 422 comments Mod

message 13: by Lila (new)

Lila Smith (lilasmith520-) Book Concierge wrote: "Lila wrote: "2/5 completed!

For my gifts book, I'm currently reading [bookcover:A Simple..."

OOPS sorry! :)

message 14: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Eisenberg (gabieisenberg) | 9 comments December MINI Challenge - Happy Holidays!
December 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
Completed: 0/5

Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post.

Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover.

Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The).

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome to the challenge, Diana S & Gabi. I've created links for you.

Lila ... if you still want to try the challenge, please create a new post with the challenge tasks listed and I'll create a link for you.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

NOTE - I'm traveling for much of the rest of the month and may not have internet connection every day. I WILL check in periodically, though, so keep reading and enjoy the holiday season!

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 463 comments Book Concierge wrote: "NOTE - I'm traveling for much of the rest of the month and may not have internet connection every day. I WILL check in periodically, though, so keep reading and enjoy the holiday season!"

Merry Christmas to you BC and safe travels.

message 18: by SANDYE (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome to the challenge, SANDYE. Enjoy!

message 20: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 325 comments Hooray! I finished--I love these short challenges!

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Hooray! I finished--I love these short challenges!"

Whoop Whoop Whoop!

message 22: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 463 comments Done.

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Good job, Koren!

message 24: by JennH (new)

JennH | 180 comments Done

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 136 comments *****COMPLETED 1/23/19*****

5/5

✔Hanukkah - This Jewish holiday celebrates the lamp oil lasting eight days - Read a book whose total number of pages includes the number 8. Include the # of pages in your post (If you listen to an audiobook, use the # of pages in the hardcover edition.)- The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey 12/8/18

✔Christmas - Seems the traditional colors of this holiday are Red and Green - Read a book with a predominantly Red or Green cover Post the cover- The Green Man by Kingsley Amis by Kingsley Amis 12/20/18

✔Kwanzaa - This celebration honors the African heritage in African-American culture. - Read a book by an author of African heritage. - The Forty-Five Guardsmen by Alexandre Dumas 1/23/19

✔Candles - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in CANDLES (exclude: A, An, The)- The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 12/15/18

✔Gifts - Read a book whose author's first OR last initial is in GIFTS.- George Orwell- Coming Up for Air 12/3/18

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Great job, Ed!

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Update Message # 5 - Challenge Completed - 04March19